The worst home Hair jobs that needed a professional

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering what was the worst home hair jobs you have seen or had to correct as a Hairdresser ? whether it be a cut or colour ? :hug:

Also has anyone had to go and get their hair corrected by a hairdresser after a home colour cut gone wrong ect ? :hug:

the worse and hardest one that I have had to correct is Black home color.
It infuriates me that these teens get this wild bug up thier bums and color their hair black!

Most of my clients know not to mess around with their own hair except maybe cutting the bangs and even then they come in with a guilty look on their face when they tell me they nipped at their bangs..lol

The worst I think i have had to correct is usually from another salon like Supercuts. Those haircuts are the ones where I just look at the client and say..so are we going super short to even it all out or you want to grow it back out again..

twice i have had to go and get a colour correction done...and i have learnt not to do it myself any more...one occasion i looked like a thundercat and the second...i looked like gwen stefani crossed with the albino villian from james bond.....twice my hairdresser has saved my life. the reason for my diy job...was purely time...not having the time to go to my hairdresser and thinking i would do it myslef , and each time it going totally wrong.

Its not one that needed correction by a hairdresser but one that scared me into not having a home job anymore.

I was about 17 at the time ... you know the age where just cant afford anything,, I bought the home dye & highlighting kit, I collared my sister to put it on for me ... its all on & going ok til I look in the mirror & my cheeks & eyes having started to swell up!!

My sister panicked & thought I was going to have to go to hospital, I washed it off straight away, I only had it on 5 or 10 minutes, & the swelling went slowly down!!

Never ever again, I book regularly with a hairdresser now :green:

Had a few home disterters myself over the years. A Perm my mum did when I was about 14 and turned me into a poodle, bleaching 2 strips of blond at the front (like gingerspice) and then deciding to go red and the blonde goes pink.

However, the worst which had to be corrected was actually done in a hair salon. I had blonde highlights put all over and they used mesh (it wasn't the normal foil) and it leaked at the seal so I had blonde stripes going across my head. Went to another hair salon and they ran my natural colour through and made it look good again. but for a week I looked like a tiger.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh dont say this im sitting here as we speak, with a choclate brown diy hair colour on ,about 10 minutes ago i was white blondish colour, just been to town bought a colour because i fancy a change , fingers crossed.

You know, i have a little story that could fit here...

In my state we have this massive hair salon.. wins awards regularly and it basically the bee's knee's for up to the minute styles and colours.. Well back when i was 14.. ((17 yrs ago!!!)) This salon wasn't as large.. but still pretty cool.. I was approached on the street to be a hair model.. they said that they needed my lovely long blonde hair to use for style catagories in compitions.. NO CUTTING or COLOURING.. just styles..

well within a 3 month period i went from elbow length blonde hair, to short back and sides with a long fringe.. DONT ASK HOW IT HAPPENED.. I was swept up in the whole thing.. between those two cuts i was every colour and shape imaginable.. I will say that i think they took advantage of my age and naivity (sp?) and also from the ages of 14 to 16 i looked like a boy with strange coloured hair.. but i also never felt comfortable in a hairdressers again.. and so i had every bad Home job imaginable.. and the classic V shape hair that comes from never getting your hair cut..

I see the adds with their little jingles now and think of all the poor kids they sacrificed to get the awards.. These cuts and colours are so out there they would be virtually impossible to re-create at home.. I remember my last model shot had me with tin foil wrapped around strands of hair..
"Where going futuristic daaarlink.. very 90's!!" :eek:

Anyway it came 3rd so they were happy.. Me.. I had an old dude ask me if i knew where to get a paper "sonny" :eek::mad::eek:.. Not to mention the biggest earlobes this side of timbucktoo hiden behind the biggest accesories i could find.. NOT A GOOD LOOK!:smack:

Ack the memories this thread has bought back! cheers girls!:hug::green:

Worst home hair job I was privvy to was several years ago. A flat-mate and I agreed to help another flat-mate to bleach her hair blonde. Unfortunately the temporary black dye that had 'washed out' hadn't. The poor girl had beautiful blonde inch long roots, the rest of her hair was goldfish-orange.

Well done to the hairdresser that managed to make her brown all over the following day....

I cut my own hair many times in my teen years - usually regretting it soon after. Even now, if I have a piece of hair sticking out, or not blending in, I just chop it off. My hair is so curly and thick, you can't even tell. My hair stylist has never noticed... or at least not that I know of!

I stupidly let my sister highlight my hair.. she had done it a few times before no problem but this time she was washing it off and suddenly went very quiet... I knew there was somehing up, eventually when we managed to get the cap off and dry it, it was like elastic chewing gum... obviously I had to go to the hairdressers to get it sorted and I came out a whole lot shorter than when I went in...:cry: needless to say she has never been alowed near my hair since !!!!

Wow we have been inundated with nail geeks! :eek: Thats why you should always visit a professional :green:

The worst I had was a client who had tried to strip out her black hair colour. Her hair was about 20 inches long and the colours varied from the ends to the roots. Black, brown, orange, yellow and white if I recall. It cost her about £150 for me to correct it. That was one expensive DIY job!!!

Recently I had a client who could not get an appointment with me so went to another salon :rolleyes: can you believe one side was 4 INCHES shorter than the other!!!

My pet peeves are people who cut their own fringes?? (why I always do it for free and do not use nail scissors/garden shears/knife and fork) and these home streaking/full head colour/multi tonal (???????) kits grrrrrr :irked:

One bad ext. client I heard of (not mine!) was she decided to cut out her ext. to help out the stylist with the removal :!: Im glad I was not the one trying to attach to 1 Inch tufts of hair *lol*

My pet peeves are people who cut their own fringes?? (why I always do it for free and do not use nail scissors/garden shears/knife and fork) and these home streaking/full head colour/multi tonal (???????) kits grrrrrr :irked:

Ah but Eva Longoria always looks so great with her multi toning DIY hair!!!!:lol: She's so clever!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh dont say this im sitting here as we speak, with a choclate brown diy hair colour on ,about 10 minutes ago i was white blondish colour, just been to town bought a colour because i fancy a change , fingers crossed.

Hiya
how did it go then ?
not too dark on the ends I hope?
and how do you feel with dark hair again ( truthfully now ) ? :hug:

chocolate brown sounds good enough to eat
I'm going to get some choccy now and a cuppa LOL:hug:

We got a call to the salon the other day...
The lady on the end of the line said her friend had a mobile stylist come round.....
She was med brown and wanted to go to a dark ash blonde.

She said the lady had put a bleach on it highlights, washed that off and it wasn't right.
so then the did anouther set of bleach foils but alternated with a caramel high lift tint.
Washed this off - wasn't right so gave her an all over bleach. :eek:
By this time she said it was getting late so the stylist rinsed her off, said she didn;t have time for a blow dry and that would be £160.00 thanks very much. packed up and left.
This poor woman still had a towel over her hair when she left.

On the phone we could her her and told her to come in for a consutation and possible correction... The woman on the phone said "now stop crying.. can you go in to see them now?" BLESS!!!!!!!

She came in and she had what can only be described as orange fluff at the ends graduating upto white roots, and everytime someone offered her a drink/magazine/ came over for a chat, she burst into tears! Poor woman!

It think it did cost abit to fix but she was soo happy not to look like a clown anymore she said she would have paid thousands.

Hiya
how did it go then ?
not too dark on the ends I hope?
and how do you feel with dark hair again ( truthfully now ) ? :hug:

chocolate brown sounds good enough to eat
I'm going to get some choccy now and a cuppa LOL:hug:

well truthfully i love it ,so good to be brown again, not to dark on the ends,and because ive got olive skin it doesnt make me look wishy washy like the blond did. so good result, ill try and upload some before and after pics so you can tell me what you think?:idea:

well truthfully i love it ,so good to be brown again, not to dark on the ends,and because ive got olive skin it doesnt make me look wishy washy like the blond did. so good result, ill try and upload some before and after pics so you can tell me what you think?:idea:

Ok, Cherry blossom that would be great I'm glad it was a success :hug:
Ill look forward to seeing the pics cheers, :hug: minky

how do i attatch a picture from my computer?

use the go advanced button and at the bottom there is a tab that says manage attachments, click on it, when the next window comes up there is a tab to browse your computer, click on that, find your image and open it, the site will do the rest. Just make sure the image isn't too large.

Latest posts

Back