Theft? Pamper party and police= headache

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Monroe

Reaction score
I'm in an absolute nightmare. Asu blog states I did a pamper party on Friday I had my non therapist friend help. She did filling bowls and foot spas emptyin and tidying. It was a hen night so drinks were flowing. The women were quite as hospitable as others I had done but never mind. Anyway comes to end of the night paying time. I charged £15 per person
the host said "oh I don't owe you anything as I paid £30 deposit that for me and my sister the hen.
I replied " yes this is right"
then each women came to me and paid their money themselves.
All fine go home.

Then yesterday night at 9pm I get a text saying we over paid you by £15 can you return it thanks.
I tried to call back but no answer, so I replied in text just tried to call but no answer. I was paid only by people who had treatments no one would have give me money if they had not had anything done.
She replied I paid you thanks
I was gettin pretty miffed now so I replied I know your out on your hen weekend so if you want to call tomorrow you can.

She has called me and is saying she paid me money. I am 100% sure she didn't now doubt I asked my friend who came with me and she said excatly what the host had said about the deposit.
She got quite heated on the phone call and was adiment she paid. I told she had not and I was sober and without insulting her said she had been drinking had not slept in 2 days as she had been on nights an perhaps she had misplaced this money. She shouted you can cancel the wedding day appointment which I am rather relieved at after this inccident and that she was taken this further. I'm assuming she means the police more stress I do not need. I do not know what will happen does anyone have any advise

Hmmm, blimey Carla, that is a nightmare. I think if it were me, I'd be inclined to send her a cheque for the £15 (through gritted teeth!!) just to shut her up. Even though she didn't overpay you, sometimes its just not worth the hassle.

When things like that happen to me, I try to take it as a lesson. Its all experience at the end of the day. Just make sure you count the money in front of your clients before you leave from now on, just to make sure there are no misunderstandings, and maybe give them a receipt.

It's really off putting when clients act like that, pamper parties can be great fun, but they are hard work. :D

I disagree, I definitely wouldn't pay her the £15 as this is more than likely exactly what she is expecting. You said yourself they were all abit drunk (not that that is an excuse, but its easy to think you had more money once you have had a few drinks inside you).
I very much doubt she will call the police, again she is probably trying to scare you into giving her the money.
I would lie low, see if she gets back in touch with you and if she does contact the police and things go in her favour, only then would I begrudgingly give her the £15.
x

I don't know if this is the correct thing to do, or where the law stands on this, so please don't shoot me down for my two pennies worth, am only trying to help.

Personally, if it was me, I would leave this matter now. You have not stolen from her or been overpaid so that's the end of it.

After which if she tried contacting me again I would state I've not been overpaid and if she wants to take this further she'll have to go through the correct legal channels and that I will no longer speak to her direct.

She was drunk and you probably have other clients who can vouch for your character if this went any further.

If she got abusive I would point out it's an offence and abuse will not be tolerated. Any abuse will be reported to the police, then stop all contact.

I think the most important thing is to not argue and stand your ground.

I would not pay her any money as this is saying that you were wrong, she is then open to going round telling people either, that you DID overcharge her, or that you're a pushover and she got away with it!!! I would make a list of what treatments you did and what the charge was, then check what money you took.
Send her a receipt detailing this (include her deposit etc).
Also send her a cover letter, advising that you have looked into her query and having checked the monies taken against the invoice, you can confirm that you recvd no overpayment.

She cannot prove, and neither can you disprove.......In future I would ensure you always issue receipts at pamper parties, this should avoid a recurrence.

When I worked in a nightclub we quite often had people claiming they had given us a £20 (when in fact they'd given us a £10) We always took their details and advised them that once we had cashed up if there was an extra £10 in the till this would be returned to them.........But as in your case, us working the bar were sober the ones who "thought" they had given us more money weren't!!!

Best of luck, Lou x

I definately wouldn't refund her. You've done the work, that's your money. Dishing out refunds is no way to run a business, even if the client is stamping their feet and throwing toys out of the pram. You might just end up attracting more of her friends who do the same to you.

If she decides to contact the police I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go anywhere because she was drunk and drunk testimonies make quite weak cases. Why don't you ring your local police station tomorrow to check and put your mind at rest?

I would not pay this lady any money back. You know what happened that night and as the others said before me you were sober.

As for the police, I work for the met police (not as a police officer, but I know law and procedure) and I can say now this is not a criminal offence, it is a civil dispute between two parties and as such the police will not get involved.

Don't let her bully you into giving her anything back, stand your ground because you're in the right.

I completly agree with everyone else - DONT GIVE HER ANY MONEY, it would look like you are in the wrong!
What loubilicious said about the reciept is a good idea.
How many hens was there in total? Did they give you a tip?
Dont worry yourself over this, you & your sober friend know what was said, if anyone overpays anyone then its their fault so nothing bad can happen ie police etc she is just trying to worry you.
Maybe for future pamper parties get everyone to pay before the night when they are in a sober state.
Keep us posted x

hey, sorry to hear you find yourself in this situation. I would not give her any money. I would however

1) write a statement for yourself why it is still fresh in your mind, detailing exactly what happened at the party, numbers, treatments, monies received - all incase the police do get involved, which i doubt.

2) also learn a lesson here - always write receipts

Hope nothing comes of it, perhaps cover your back by writing to her a letter stating im sorry that you think you paid twice but you can guarantee she did not and also state that you are accepting her cancellation - the last thing u want his her on thw blower again because u missed her wedding!!!

No I wouldn't pay her the money back either as it is basically admitting that she overpaid you/you owe her something. She sounds like a nightmare and quite honestly you are better off out of that one. BRIDEZILLA allert!!! Imagine trying to get any money out of her on the day if she hadn't prepaid you with everything that would be going on. Another one of those clubbing together and paying in pennies clients on the wedding day that somebody posted on here about a while back!!! I bet you didn't even get a tip at the end of the evening and now she is accusing you over a measly £15. She just sounds ever so slightly mental!

How can you overcharge them when they each paid for themselves? Do not give her any money, the police will not be interested unless she says that you stole something from the house.

I don't do any of these pamper party things for this very reason, there have been several threads recently with girls not being paid or being verbally abused afterwards that they are just not worth the effort.

If people want their nails etc done then let them book an appointment like everyone else and save yourself the hassle!

Try to ignore her now, she will badmouth you if you give her the money back or not and even worse if you give the money back it will make you fair game for anyone else to do this to you! :D

i would superglue a fiver and a tenner into a card using loads of superglue so ahe cannot peel them off without rendering them unspenable and next time do a rceipt using a duplicate book and get the party holder to sign it

i dont think i would pay her it sounds like she clearly was drunk but i agree you should write a statment of the events and send it to her and say as a good will jestur you will give her a £15 gift voucher redeemable against a min spent £50 which will then mean she will not really want to spend any more cash with you but she cant take it further and she cant really lable u as a theif..

Posted via Mobile Device

Don't refund her, tell her you counted the money and she was drunk. FFS why do people do this? I state on my form that I want all money in an envelope ready for payment at the end, this way I can count it with them and agree it is all right. I can't believe people do this. There are some horrible people out there.

oh dear, what an horrible situation to be in! :( if you are certain nothing was paid extra and your friend is certain too then surely there is nothing for you to worry about, although that's easier said than done i know! x

well you are certain that she didnt over pay and therefore if i were you i wouldnt be paying the money...

I would however make a not of the eveing in as much detail as possible and sign and date it.

I would also ask your friend to write one too.

If she rings again, be firm. stand your ground. she did not give you money, therefore, what is done is done.

some people never cease to amaze me.

tigi

Do you keep any record of the money paid to you for this service? Did she get any kind of receipt? Just thinking of ways you can prove in black and White

I would not pay her any money as this is saying that you were wrong, she is then open to going round telling people either, that you DID overcharge her, or that you're a pushover and she got away with it!!! I would make a list of what treatments you did and what the charge was, then check what money you took.
Send her a receipt detailing this (include her deposit etc).
Also send her a cover letter, advising that you have looked into her query and having checked the monies taken against the invoice, you can confirm that you recvd no overpayment.

She cannot prove, and neither can you disprove.......In future I would ensure you always issue receipts at pamper parties, this should avoid a recurrence.

When I worked in a nightclub we quite often had people claiming they had given us a £20 (when in fact they'd given us a £10) We always took their details and advised them that once we had cashed up if there was an extra £10 in the till this would be returned to them.........But as in your case, us working the bar were sober the ones who "thought" they had given us more money weren't!!!

Best of luck, Lou x

Excellent advice, I don't think I can add any more other than don't worry about the Police, as this is not a criminal matter it is a Civil dispute and they will not get involved.
I just don't understand poeple like this, if I were the client I would accept your explanation and leave it there. After all surely she is the biggest loser here, as she now no longer has a great therapist to do her treatments on her Wedding Day!!

My hubby is a policeman and Rockysapphire is correct, that the police would not get involved, its a civil matter. Is she really going to take you to court for £15.00 I don't think so.

Do you not have the receipts, that will shut her up. It really seems that its just our profession where these people try it on.

Latest posts

Back