Therapist reacting to eyelash glue when applying extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same issue, with the mannequin head and practice lashes they are nicely spread out however with human lashes this is not the case. Leave the lash to cure/dry longer, use a nano mister or gentle air blower to speed this up. X

Depending what adhesive you use it might be slower setting (this is normally used for beginners) so you might have to isolate the lashes a few seconds longer before you let go. This way the adhesive gets a chance to set and any neighbouring lashes wont stick x

Update if you’re still interested [emoji4] I really struggled and it knocked my confidence quite a lot, my mum only wanted a few on the ends to start with, but for some reason I’d isolate the lash, place the extension on and then when I’d look back in a few minutes her other lashes had also stuck to the extension and I don’t know what I did to cause it as it had never happened when I was practicing on my mannequin head [emoji17] she wants some more adding later this week and I’m just worried the same thing will happen again because I don’t know how to stop it. Xx

Do you know the drying time of your adhesive? When you’ve dropped the extension on the lash keep the lash isolated a little longer so that the adhesive drys before you remove your tweezers.
Natural lashes are so much different to practice lashes but don’t give up, you will get there.
Do you have any adhesive remover? If your really not happy then just use a little remover on the extensions that have stuck together.
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, practice makes perfect

Do you know the drying time of your adhesive? When you’ve dropped the extension on the lash keep the lash isolated a little longer so that the adhesive drys before you remove your tweezers.
Natural lashes are so much different to practice lashes but don’t give up, you will get there.
Do you have any adhesive remover? If your really not happy then just use a little remover on the extensions that have stuck together.
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, practice makes perfect

Hi sorry I missed your reply! I’m using the fairy fix ultra fast glue so I wouldn’t have thought it was an issue! I tried again this weekend and it went slightly better, my mums very happy and her colleagues all want to get booked in now too!

I’m so sorry to hear you’re still struggling with reactions to your glue, have you managed to get anywhere with it? Xx

Hi,

I had to give up lash extensions. I managed to do them for about 2 years but the permanent head cold, headaches and burning eyes and asthma attacks were not worth it. I had a permanent runny nose. I did all the usual, air filters, windows open, masks, gloves, long sleeves...

It also started to give me odd rashes over time.

Masks don’t help (I can still smell someone’s bad breath and feet through them so if Foot cheese can get through that’s why it was still affecting me).

I’m really glad I stopped doing it as I felt great within weeks.

I’ve started getting it when I’m tinting (I have so many allergies I’m not really surprised but my doc just gave me some stuff for a post nasal drip that really helps the constant runny nose).

Although lash glues have a very similar bonding ingredient, they also contain a solvent which can differ between brands. Some develop an alergy to the bonding agent and some to the solvent. Make sure there is good ventilation and the air is not completely still, I used to put a desk fan on low in the opposite corner of the room. You can also use a disposable mask that filters organic solvents. They have a rating of 'FFP3' or 'P3' available from safety and hardware shops like screwfix. Google FFP3 Masks and you'll see loads.

Hi, We posted this under Nails earlier this week but seems just as relevant here.
Ravair Ltd have a new wall mounted fume extractor that was launched at professional beauty excel a few weeks ago. It has received great reviews and many testimonials are on the ravair.co.uk website. This unit has many features including timers, sleep function, UV light to kill bacteria, Internal Ion Generator to provide "air vitimins" but most importantly censors that turn the unit up to full speed when it detects fumes. It will stay on full speed until the fumes have been removed then go down to medium then low speed. It has also undergone Full Independent Lab Testing that proves conclusively that it will remove 99.999% of the monomer fumes. It will also remove other household fumes and smells, pets, food etc and also has a graded glass hepa filter to EU Standard EN 1822-1 which removes pollen, pet dander etc to 0.3 microns and above, suitable for Asthma and Hay Fever Sufferers. The current stock is all sold out but new stock will be available next week, check out the Ravair website for more info and pictures.

I forgot to mention that this unit will also remove fumes and toxic gas from glues. In particular cyanoacrylate and formaldehyde of which both are in many glues for eyelashes. The testimonial below came in recently from a director of an electronics company whose employee was using cyanoacrylate in the form of superglue.

I have just spoken to the lady who uses it and she says it’s working very well. She used to cough and splutter a lot leading to several days off. So far she’s had no repeats of this. Her main duties are gluing and soldering. All I can say is so far so good and I’m happy to endorse the product.
Best regards,
Nick
Nick Shephard | Director
LS Electronics Group Ltd.

Reactions are due to the glue vapours if the glue is an ethyl grade, which many are, as the vapours go straight for the nose, eyes and throat (moisture) You must have correct humidity and temperature for the glue you are using in the lash room and this should have been taught on the course, and a good air flow around the working area to help reduce these vapours. Plus wear the correct mask if becoming sensitised, as once this happens it will stay, so best to avoid. We are launching a brand new grade of lash adhesive in the summer with virtually zero vapours never been seen in the industry before, and we have had excellent feedback from those who can't use ethyl glues with the vapours. Will be called Optimum Zero. www. optimumlashglue.co.uk

"Reactions are due to the glue vapours if the glue is an ethyl grade, which many are, as the vapours go straight for the nose, eyes and throat"

The above poster is correct, these products are also found in many nail products (Methyl/Ethyl Methacrylate C5H802/C6H1002), they are very toxic and prolonged use without precautions will, almost certainly" damage your health in both the short and long term.

You can get benchtop solder fume extractors fairly cheaply.. they are a bit ugly but the better quality ones are quieter. Alternatively you can put a pedestal fan on low pointing away from you. We experimented with Octyl, Methyl and Ethyl cyanoacylate glues. Octyl and Methyl have much lower fumes but the retention is poor compared to standard and ultra glues. We found that the 3M FFP3 masks are good but vapours can still come into contact the eyes. Higimasks don't filter the fumes but they do direct them away from your face, they are my choice.

Latest posts

Back