Therapist skin (spot) issues!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Basically, I am young (18) but fully qualified at level 2 and level 3 and have done countless days of workshops at dermalogica!
I use dermalogica through and through, I have a extensive skin routine and have hormonal ugly spots on my chin, I feel as though when I'm telling clients how a product will benefit them they unconsciously start to judge my own skin, my boss has asked me to start wearing make up, I'm not sure if this is worsening the problem but it does camouflage well. Has anyone else came across this problem? If so how did you overcome it?

Basically, I am young (18) but fully qualified at level 2 and level 3 and have done countless days of workshops at dermalogica!
I use dermalogica through and through, I have a extensive skin routine and have hormonal ugly spots on my chin, I feel as though when I'm telling clients how a product will benefit them they unconsciously start to judge my own skin, my boss has asked me to start wearing make up, I'm not sure if this is worsening the problem but it does camouflage well. Has anyone else came across this problem? If so how did you overcome it?
Bless your heart... i am 43 and suffered with acne all my adult life... so i feel your pain.... since startig back at beauty therapy and nails etc....i have thought about this myself.... as a client i wouldn't want someone with bad acne working over me... it's a horrid thought ... but that is how it is... so.. i had a course of isotretinoin (accutain) prescribed by the dermatologist and it cleared it... for about 10 years... now its back... not as bad... now on IsotrexIN and antibiotics. .. i recommend taking photos of your face close ups of chin or forhead etc... when its really bad... go to docys and ask to be referred to dermatologist at hospital... or you can just get some Duac or IsotrexIN. ... duac is fabulous but i used it for 3 years so of course my skin got use to it... IsotrexIN seems to be working now.. but made my skin worse for 4 weeks....
Wearing makeup will not make it worse ... provided it is non-comedogenic i recommend mineral foundation. .... i make my own
The key is to make sure you remove makeup.... properly...and wash with mild face wash and water....

Try look for a clinic that stocks Obagi, they are fantastic and have a range of different skin systems to help with acne, quite a lot of the systems are prescription so I'd say you would need to see a clinic doctor/prescriber. As far as make up, you could try Lycogel...it's quite thick, but it's a camouflage makeup so does have really good coverage...best thing is its breathable, won't clog your skin and it's specifically for skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, redness, you can even apply it straight after laser treatments. Bit of a wordy post I know but hope this helps!!xx

Could it be your diet ? I have times where my diet is good and with my dermalogica routine it clears my skin up, when I don't drink enough water + have salty/sugary foods - same routine I break out really bad. X

It's your age. Makeup won't make it worse if it's non pore blocking.
If skin doesn't improve with age then a trip to the docs will help.

Honestly a good majority of skin problems come from within rather than external factors like makeup and skin care (although they obviously still play an important part). If your skin care routine is good then start looking at how you take care of your body because your skin might be trying to tell you something! Exercise more, drink plenty of water, cut down on foods that are sugary, greasy, and watch your dairy intake (some people cut it out all together and this sometimes helps). If the spots are strictly hormone related and due to your age (skin problems are common in later teens early twenties because your hormones might be changing again) then go to your doctors and ask about the contraceptive pill, this can help with a lot of hormone-related skin issues as it helps balance the hormones. It may take some time to get your skin better but there's light at the end of the tunnel :)

Have you always had problem skin?

What make up are you using? If your problem is hormonal, no amount of topical products will help. You need to consider some sort of supplement like accumax from IIAA. It helps to regulate hormonal imbalance x

Honestly a good majority of skin problems come from within rather than external factors like makeup and skin care (although they obviously still play an important part). If your skin care routine is good then start looking at how you take care of your body because your skin might be trying to tell you something! Exercise more, drink plenty of water, cut down on foods that are sugary, greasy, and watch your dairy intake (some people cut it out all together and this sometimes helps). If the spots are strictly hormone related and due to your age (skin problems are common in later teens early twenties because your hormones might be changing again) then go to your doctors and ask about the contraceptive pill, this can help with a lot of hormone-related skin issues as it helps balance the hormones. It may take some time to get your skin better but there's light at the end of the tunnel :)
I noticed my skin actually got worse when I ate really healthfully but maybe that was my body's way of detoxing and if I kept it up it may have cleared up! I am on the implant and have been to the doctors but were extremely unsympathetic and not very helpful, but will try again, just feel as though that knocked my confidence more! One doctors brought me to tears! This is why I feel it's our duty to not ever make clients feel the way I did! I will try the detoxing again! Thank you x

What make up are you using? If your problem is hormonal, no amount of topical products will help. You need to consider some sort of supplement like accumax from IIAA. It helps to regulate hormonal imbalance x
I use Nars, I don't know how pore blocking it is! Is that a supplement that has to be prescribed I presume? :) x

Could it be your diet ? I have times where my diet is good and with my dermalogica routine it clears my skin up, when I don't drink enough water + have salty/sugary foods - same routine I break out really bad. X
I actually saw my skin worsening the more I detoxed! But now I realise maybe that was my skin detoxing and now it's been left with a bad diet again! X

Try look for a clinic that stocks Obagi, they are fantastic and have a range of different skin systems to help with acne, quite a lot of the systems are prescription so I'd say you would need to see a clinic doctor/prescriber. As far as make up, you could try Lycogel...it's quite thick, but it's a camouflage makeup so does have really good coverage...best thing is its breathable, won't clog your skin and it's specifically for skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, redness, you can even apply it straight after laser treatments. Bit of a wordy post I know but hope this helps!!xx
Thank you! Could I use that alongside dermalogica? (I've spent a lot of money that's all) I will look in to make up! I love the foundation I use at the moment ( Nars all day luminous weightless foundation) but it may not be helping! Thank you x

Bless your heart... i am 43 and suffered with acne all my adult life... so i feel your pain.... since startig back at beauty therapy and nails etc....i have thought about this myself.... as a client i wouldn't want someone with bad acne working over me... it's a horrid thought ... but that is how it is... so.. i had a course of isotretinoin (accutain) prescribed by the dermatologist and it cleared it... for about 10 years... now its back... not as bad... now on IsotrexIN and antibiotics. .. i recommend taking photos of your face close ups of chin or forhead etc... when its really bad... go to docys and ask to be referred to dermatologist at hospital... or you can just get some Duac or IsotrexIN. ... duac is fabulous but i used it for 3 years so of course my skin got use to it... IsotrexIN seems to be working now.. but made my skin worse for 4 weeks....
Wearing makeup will not make it worse ... provided it is non-comedogenic i recommend mineral foundation. .... i make my own
The key is to make sure you remove makeup.... properly...and wash with mild face wash and water....
Thank you very much! I had a bad doctors experience regarding this topic! But I may have to bite the bullet and try again if I want results! Wish clients would just take my word for it and not use me as a example! But how can you expect them to! Xx

I noticed my skin actually got worse when I ate really healthfully but maybe that was my body's way of detoxing and if I kept it up it may have cleared up! I am on the implant and have been to the doctors but were extremely unsympathetic and not very helpful, but will try again, just feel as though that knocked my confidence more! One doctors brought me to tears! This is why I feel it's our duty to not ever make clients feel the way I did! I will try the detoxing again! Thank you x
Healthily **

Did you have bad skin before you went on the implant? Just because I know acne is a side effect and one of my friends got terrible skin problems when she got the implant.

I know how you feel about the doctors, I dread going especially in regards to my pill as I've had a GP be inappropriate to me about it before! Don't let it knock your confidence, ask for a different GP and maybe ask to be referred to a dermatologist as most regular doctors are quite unsympathetic when it comes to skin issues and will just give you antibiotics or a topical cream that aren't a long-term or healthy solution.

You don't have to do a full detox! Just maybe cut back on stodgy foods, you could even check for food allergies as they can cause skin problems too. And you're welcome x

Did you have bad skin before you went on the implant? Just because I know acne is a side effect and one of my friends got terrible skin problems when she got the implant.

I know how you feel about the doctors, I dread going especially in regards to my pill as I've had a GP be inappropriate to me about it before! Don't let it knock your confidence, ask for a different GP and maybe ask to be referred to a dermatologist as most regular doctors are quite unsympathetic when it comes to skin issues and will just give you antibiotics or a topical cream that aren't a long-term or healthy solution.

You don't have to do a full detox! Just maybe cut back on stodgy foods, you could even check for food allergies as they can cause skin problems too. And you're welcome x
No I didn't! I feel as though I have ugly side affects from any contraception I have tried! From hairless to constant periods and now I fear this is one as well! I think it's awful and maybe you're right about the dermatologist, I assume I would need a consultation with GP first again :) yes I've always been slight intolerant to dairy and I feel gluten maybe on the no go list too! My favourite food! I will give anything a go, it's just maintainance x

No I didn't! I feel as though I have ugly side affects from any contraception I have tried! From hairless to constant periods and now I fear this is one as well! I think it's awful and maybe you're right about the dermatologist, I assume I would need a consultation with GP first again :) yes I've always been slight intolerant to dairy and I feel gluten maybe on the no go list too! My favourite food! I will give anything a go, it's just maintainance x

If you didn't then I'm thinking it's likely that it's down to the implant...but I strongly advise you try going to the GP again :)

Yes, dairy seems to be a popular skin aggravator especially when you have some kind of intolerance to it! I had a dairy allergy when I was little, and then recently I noticed I developed bad skin on my cheeks and often had stomach aches. Cut out dairy and it solved both problems! So definitely give everything a go and see how you go on. Hope I helped x

If you didn't then I'm thinking it's likely that it's down to the implant...but I strongly advise you try going to the GP again :)

Yes, dairy seems to be a popular skin aggravator especially when you have some kind of intolerance to it! I had a dairy allergy when I was little, and then recently I noticed I developed bad skin on my cheeks and often had stomach aches. Cut out dairy and it solved both problems! So definitely give everything a go and see how you go on. Hope I helped x
Thank you! Yes you did! X

Not too sure how to respond to comments but here goes...The Obagi system should be used on its own really...but that's not to say you can't save your Dermalogica ones to use after, once the skin is a bit more under control? Just been reading some of the other replies, and I agree it really could be the implant...my skin was absolutely terrible whilst I was on the injection, took me ages to figure it out...the doctor then put me on Dianette and it was a life saver!!!!xx

Latest posts

Back