There are no Miracle cures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzoo

Reaction score
HEY .... it's time to get real. There are no miracle cures, it's aboiut times people realised, not everyone can do nails, not everyone can do lashes, not everyone can do .......WHATEVER.

It's great to get positive advice in here, but sometimes it just doesn't suit ... it's beyond ME/US/YOU. Why not admit you aint that good at it?

There's nothing wrong with being less than perfect, rather than spending money on training/supplies ..... sometimes we are just crap at some things.

For gaaawd sakes look at all the things you can't do, that you freely admit to ....

Just because you have done and paid for a course doesnt make you a professional (or good at it)..... sometimes we just suck at things. (i KNOW I DO)

Sorry to burst balloons, but this is real life and this is reality .... concentrate on what you have a talent/flair for.

Gaaawd, i'd like to think i can be a panel beater (BUT .... TO BE HONEST I'M CRAP AT IT) ....... there ya go, that's honesty, thats realising my limitations and accepting them. I'd like to be an electrician (but your house will burn down next week)

Be good at what you do ......... but let other people be good at what they do also.

No point emulating someone if you just don't have the goods (to be honest you may just make a fool of yourself)

This is in no way negative .. it's merely reality. Be real with yourself (but challenge yourself) know when to give up .... know when to go head on.

Don't be fooled by those wanting to make money from you by convincing you, that you can be better ..... sometimes you can't.

Till the day I die, I will stand by the fact that nails are an artistic ability .... and sometimes you can't teach that (as is hair, facials, waxing etc).

I often admire a painting ...... but, lets face it, there's no way I can paint it, I accept my limitations (it's not defeat), I simply can't do it ( and there's no shame in that)

I'm bloody good at what I do (i'm a nail technician), but i wouldn't have a go at doing hair (it would ruin my reputation), i'd have a stab at facials (but I don't have the time), besides, I have already made my decision to be a nail technician.

I accept that clients are gonna walk out my door an spend money elsewhere to get thier waxing, hair, facials done elsewhere.

I admire hairdressers that make money from my clients, I admire beauticians that make money from my clients. Letting that dollar walk out your door may actually make you much more money in the long term.

My clients admire and repect me, because I do what I do best.

Many posts in here are by people trying to be everything to a client .......
maybe you can be, but I doubt it .... do what you do best .... whatever it may be.

DON'T LET ME STOP YOU ........ BUT REALISE YOUR LIMITATIONS .... (WE ALL HAVE THEM)

As much as it pains me Nailzoo (joke), I totally agree.

I did ok nails but they weren't good enough in my opinion...........so I packed up. I now do Permanent Make Up and I've finally found something that I love and I think that is the key. xxx

I agree as well. I really admire hairdressers - I watch mine with great scrutiny and sometimes think 'I'd like a go at that'..... swiftly followed by the thought 'stick to what you're good at'!

I'm solely a Nail Tech, I don't do beauty or hair - just nails. I don't think I was a complete natural but 3 years down the line I produce nails I'm proud to out my name to and have a client base which in the main books their next appt before they leave...... That says a lot to me.

I'm choosing to be a master of my particular trade, but accepting your limitations is part of life. One of my limitations on the nail front is nail art - I'm rubbish at it!! I don't offer it, and also don't flannel people as to why not! If they ask I tell them it's not my strong point!!!

Good thread!

Till the day I die, I will stand by the fact that nails are an artistic ability .... and sometimes you can't teach that (as is hair, facials, waxing etc).
Yeh I agree with this statement.

Your right - I did hairdressing at college for 4 months (as well as beauty) and I was garbage at it (could have got better ) but why would I want to do hair and beauty - they are totally different entities. I - personally - couldnt do both. I accept that. Im also not so good at massage - so I dont do it.

But I am good at everything else I do - good clientele. But I fear if I dont learn something new - I will loose interest at some point and my brain will go on auto pilot.

Actually Kim I remember you posting a thread similar to this a while ago so maybe that's why you agree!!!!

I think the trouble is that people think creating great nails is easy, and of course we know it isn't - well unless you are truly blessed. There are some that have it, but need to be taught how ... and there are some that will never get it and should realise early on that no matter what they are not improving and STOP!

Personally I feel I am some where just above the middle with nails. We get a lot of people on holiday here at the monment and have to rebalance their nails. Some of the standards are atrocious and it appalls me, some are similar to me ... and just occasionally I see work that I feel I can only aspire to.

I agree that you have to have an artisitc flair, which is why I chose nails to begin with, so that I could use my creative side.

Actually Kim I remember you posting a thread similar to this a while ago so maybe that's why you agree!!!!
Really? Do I come here often? Must be my age. xxx

Haven't got a clapping smiley, Nail Zoo you are so right, peeps love my nails, I get complements all the time, but ask me to do more then apply a good polish, or the most basic of flicks and I'm done for:lol:, it doesn't bother me, I bought an air brush and use that to be arty with. Thats my limitation, for the rest of it. In my dreams:lol:

Tell me about it \I am pants at nails ahve done absolutely loads of training and they dont get any better. I know exactly what i should be doing and i can make a set look ok but to me ok isnt good enough.

Now manicures thats a whole different ball game i am very good at them and thats what i do now i do the things im good at not the things im not and i pass them onto another geeki who i know is.x

Tell me about it I am pants at nails ahve done absolutely loads of training and they dont get any better. I know exactly what i should be doing and i can make a set look ok but to me ok isnt good enough.

Now manicures thats a whole different ball game i am very good at them and thats what i do now i do the things im good at not the things im not and i pass them onto another geeki who i know is.x

Lucia! Get a grip!!!:smack: Pants?? I don't think so! I'd take you in a minute.

Nailzoo, I don't always agree with you as you are somethime a bit too black and white for me, but this is a good one. I do agree that 'nails' are an artistic skill but, like so many other things, this isn't the only requirement. There is so much more too. And, you're right we can't all be good at everything.

What makes difficult reading for me are those that blame everything else except themselves.Even more so are those that think a few classes will make them a nail professional. Understanding the theory behind it all is essential. (Every client is different and every set of circumstances cannot be taught.) If you understand the theory, either by hard work or a natural ability, most circumstance can be dealt with by 'working it out'.

I'm agreeing with you, just adding another little aspect. You def need artistic skill; you may get by without it but you may not. I would add to that and include real understanding that escapes so many by either not bothering or just not grasping: you may get by you may not.

I'm with you: recognise it and accept it. (I know I could never be an accountant in a million years! Shame, I may be richer by now if I could :eek:)

Hi Nailzoo,

As Marian said, I don't always agree with you, but on this, I do. As I have said before, even if Picasso was my trainer I would NEVER be good at painting. Painting is not for me and not nailart either.

Today I had a 1-2-1. I told her that I can teach her the techniques, but I just can't LOOK with her eyes! I think some nailtechs just don't use their eyes. If they can't see a "bump" or that the nail is built wrong when I explain it and show them, how can I teach them to do it better then?

C.

What a fantastic thread:)
and great replies.
I totally agree with you on this Nailzoo, and it really gives ya food for thought to be honest. Without boring you all, I have got a few things to think about regarding my life and this thread is really gonna help me actually:)
I think the problem with me is that I feel ashamed to admit that I dont feel very comfortable with doing something. I always feel people will critisise me on my career choice and therefore end up battling with certain things i know I am not too good at.
Thanx Nailzoo, you have helped me more that you have realised hun,:hug:

I agree.

What I am wondering is this:

Obviously some of us struggle to pick it up more than others, however, at what point do you chuck the towel in and say "that's it, I'm rubbish, I'll give it up?" I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I went through a period when I almost gave up . . . however, I took some further one-to-one training, this helped a lot but what helped most was just practice, practice, practice. And it took quite a time.

But I could just as easily have gone the other way. And that would have been a shame because I came out the other end of the dark tunnel into the light and love what I do. I have a large-ish loyal client base who I imagine must be happy as a lot of them have been with me a long time.

So I do agree that some are just not cut out for it. But how do they know whether they are simply not really suited to it, or if they should persevere, practice, maybe take a bit more training, give it a few more months, whatever? It's a tricky one.

Maybe passion has something to do with how long you persevere for.?

So I do agree that some are just not cut out for it. But how do they know whether they are simply not really suited to it, or if they should persevere, practice, maybe take a bit more training, give it a few more months, whatever? It's a tricky one.
Totally agree, there was a time I would have thrown the towel in but then it all clicked....I guess for some it will just never click...I never thought myself to be artistic but from what has been said maybe I am as I do cool nails lol.

It's easy to say though when you have a strong client base and have been working in the industry for several years, I think it must be really difficult for those who don't work full time in the industry.....or maybe they are just the hobbyists and should concentrate on friends and family only. Having said that I know there are Geeks on the site who don't do that many hours but do fab nails....these must be the gifted ones!:hug:

It would be a heart wrenching decision for anyone who has invested a lot of time and money in the pusuit of something they love only to have to give it up because they eventually see that they can't cut the mustard.

Experience also has a large part to play, as Marian said, working out what to do when you are presented with a less than average set of nail plates to enhance is down to experience, but then it's also applying your knowledge and thinking outside the box which you have been tought on courses.

Nailzoo, I don't always agree with you as you are somethime a bit too black and white for me, but this is a good one. I do agree that 'nails' are an artistic skill but, like so many other things, this isn't the only requirement. There is so much more too. And, you're right we can't all be good at everything.

What makes difficult reading for me are those that blame everything else except themselves.Even more so are those that think a few classes will make them a nail professional. Understanding the theory behind it all is essential. (Every client is different and every set of circumstances cannot be taught.) If you understand the theory, either by hard work or a natural ability, most circumstance can be dealt with by 'working it out'.

I'm agreeing with you, just adding another little aspect. You def need artistic skill; you may get by without it but you may not. I would add to that and include real understanding that escapes so many by either not bothering or just not grasping: you may get by you may not.

I'm with you: recognise it and accept it. (I know I could never be an accountant in a million years! Shame, I may be richer by now if I could :eek:)

I agree that artistic ability is a must in this industry and I agree that there are some who want every dollar available and will do shoddy work to be able to provide all services for their client. I have to disagree that you cannot master all aspects of this industry if you have the intrest, artistic ability and passion to continue improving and learning.

I like all of it and feel comfortable saying that I'm good at it, yes I have areas I'm stronger in and that I like better, but it all flows together for me- I agree with the bauhaus teachings that an artist must understand all aspects of art, music, lighting, painting, sculpture, anatomy, physiology, form, shape, spacial relationships. All of those things have to be studied and accomplished BEFORE the student can choose their discipline. A painter will have to take lessons in dance, a dancer lessons in music, musicians will have to design stages, it makes a more complete and rounded artist. The same should apply to our industry.

In the US a cosmetology license requires that you be able to pass an exam making sure that you are safe to work on the public in all areas of hair, skin and nails. Not every one chooses to do everything, in suburban areas styilsts are more likely to specialize. Smaller communities rely on people that are will provide more than one service.

I know that there are people who are better at different areas than I am, but I enjoy doing them all and there is nothing better than the feeling you get when you've done a complete make over from head to toe and they love it. Sometimes it isn't just the know how, it's the passion behind it.

Math major I'll never be, I'll pay for an accountant, someone to mow my lawn and wash my car, but anything to do with hair, skin or nails- bring it on!! LOVE IT!!

Fab thread Carl :) I totally agree with with what you have written, I think people think "Oh doing nails is easy I will do it" but in reality it ain't easy it takes artistic skill and tons of patience. I for one wouldn't bother doing nails if the nails I produced were pants.

The one thing that really confuses me, is when do you know when to stop ?

Surely, one of the problems is:-

A) If you have no artistic flair but pick up the technical side quickly, you wouldn't know a good nail from a velociraptors claw.

B) If you have the flair but it takes you a long time to develop the skill to produce nails that you are satisfied with.

Where do you draw the line and give up. In my opinion tech A) is the one that should give it up and B) should persist - but how do you know and how are you going to find out ?

I can't help thinking that if you return for education anyone is going to tell you that you need to do hours more training - but maybe I'm wrong

Good Thread Carl x

I also agree with you. I had a client come to me a few times then announced she was going to be a nail tech..."It don't look that hard, I'm sure I'll pick it up"...(her words).anyway she asked me for all the advise in the world...even though she would be setting up on my doorstep (thought it was a tad cheeky to ask me to help her)...but i helped her anyway cos i didn't want her going off getting some crappy training and butchering peoples nails...(yes i care that much)

Anyway she got brilliant training, brilliant products and produced below standard nails....this was to be expected as she was new...but she obviously realised that it wasn't easy and could not just be picked up over a few weeks.

She rang me about 8 months after her training to ask if i wanted to buy all her nail stuff as she was packing it in. "i wanted to be good at it like you but i just ain't" (her words again)

Now what i think is this...it was never a desire of hers to be a nail tech, she just saw what i did and thought...cool, work from home, earn some money, no boss, sounds good....she didn't have that inner feeling of wanting to actually do nails...she just wanted the hours, the pay and the conditions....it could have been big toe plucking and with the right conditions she would have gone for it.

Anyway at least she did realise ... not so much that she was pants...but that she just didn't want to do nails and didn't have the passion for nails.

Well, I went to art college to be an artist...never thought I would be an artist this way but it works for me.
I did get "asked to leave":lol: from Burneys (pie shop) when I was 16 because I was rubbish at adding up in my head though.:)
So..in that case I suppose you're spot on Carl x

My CND course was a year long, so I got to see class mates develop the gift for nails... or totally make a mess of them selfs.. of the ones that started with me by the time we hit the 6 month mark 70% had quit... out of the more advanced rotation in the same class only 25% stayed until exam time.. and out of the newest rotation 30% had left in the first 2 months of class.. Some people just don't "get it" so move on.

Latest posts

Back