TheRealMrsGrey - full coverage foil over gel polish query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity

Brush Slayer Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi MrsG

Just been watching your foil full coverage You Tube video and wanted to pick your brain please.... :Love:

I've done full coverage several times, no problems with application, I've been using foils for about 15 years before I even became a nail tech when you could buy them from QVC under the seller SpecialFX, I'm showing my age now :wink2:

However, not having much luck with longevity :rolleyes:

I'm finding my clients (and me, but my nails take a beating obviously) get lots of free edge chipping, and 'wear' - probably more 'wear' than chipping to be honest but this exposes the foil and ultimately the foil glue which is still sticky, this then leads to peeling, bits of fluff and general nastyness.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong, I'm sealing free-edge well (I believe) and the 'wearing' seems to start about 4/5 days in. It's almost as if the glue doesn't dry properly as the Shellac topcoat seals so well.

Perhaps the issue is not waiting for the glue to dry fully, although I have no problems with application, so I'm not sure.

I'm reluctant to charge for foils currently as I can't guarantee they'll last the 14 days my clients currently get from unadorned Shellac.

Any ideas Oh Wiseone?? :biggrin: or anyone else having success of course

Hello!!

If using the adhesive, always remove inhibition layer first as this tends to make things go gummy (with CND Shellac I don't use adhesive as it's sticky enough) and makes sure it's super thin.

Also I would do 2 x thin Top Coat to ensure complete protection. Or seal with a "clear" and then Top Coat.

I've never had foil go gummy on me - perhaps this is excess adhesive?

Hope this helps!
Sarah 😊

Thanks, I'll give it a go more sparingly, and try the double top coat method.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Latest posts

Back