These poor nails, pic included. What should I advise?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babezone

Reaction score
Just after a litle advise on what i can suggest to a lady i know with these nails.

She had a set of nails done at a salon then a set of refils at a different salon. and has took them off with acetone. but has left her with nails looking like this.
Im not sure if theres any infection going on or if its just bruising.

lezanails_zps3bf91128.jpg

She really wants a set of acrylic extentions but i just dont think this is advisable. So i definetly wont be doing them. it looks as though she has ripped them off but she said she hasnt,

Any advise would be great Thanks xx

Theres no pic

Sorry no advice but they look awful :Scared:

there is now the link wasnt added for some reason xx

OK I can see the pic now :)

They were not soaked off with acetone, looked like she picked them off, with a lot of force - ouch! Are they painful for her?

Also looks like there was a greenie on 2 of the nails at some point.

FIrst things first they need to have scrubfresh applied to ensure all infection is gone and they also need a loving dose of solar oil - lots of it and regular.

Has the nail damage broken through to the nail bed at all?

I have to agree those have def not been soaked off, looks as said above like these been picked and pulled, wow must have hurt doing it.

I would most def advise her to not have any further extensions done for a good while till they are a lot healthier.

definitely been picked off....no way acetone would do that to the nail bed!

at some point there was moisture that got under her enhancements of 2 of the fingers at least.

If it were my client I would advise to get regular nourishing manicures, I offer CND almond, and retail lots of solar oil. Let the damage grow out. I would opt to go for a Shellac or similar product afterwards as she clearly rips enhancements off. But definitely nothing on the nail for a while!

I'd go through usual sanitation protocol (wash with soap/water, then Cool Blue or other sanitising gel). I'd then Scrubfresh the nails really thoroughly.

I'd take the length right down (they look so damaged that they would probably be breaking off anyway). I'd then use the lowest grit number of the girlfriend buffer to reduce the look of delamination (and to prevent further delamination).

I'd then perform a hot oil soak (weapon of choice would be CND Almond Milk Bath), then cuticle work as they look quite bad, too.

Then I'd buff in SolarOil with a koala buffer... Then Scrubfresh, then Polish with an opaque colour (to cover up staining).

Advise they would be very weak and peeling a lot, and to use SolarOil 3-4 times a day.

Do this for a week/10 days and then reassess for L&P.

I have to agree with the above statements!:eek:

You can see that they were definitely NOT soaked off because of the huge missing center stating that it was picked at til ripped off!

Must be she saw the greenies developing under & panicked, or someone told her to remove them a.s.a.p. or suffer consequences!

See what clients dont realize is when they get agitated picking enhancements only wind up causing more damage, oh well!:rolleyes:

As advised above, I wouldnt do much but sanitize very well buff the top layer to a natural shine with 4 way buffer making sure not to put too much pressure on the nails loads of moisturizer & then a good massage with generous cuticle oil & send her off with 2 weeks rest minimum! No need for anything extra!

Hope this helps!

I'd go through usual sanitation protocol (wash with soap/water, then Cool Blue or other sanitising gel). I'd then Scrubfresh the nails really thoroughly.

I'd take the length right down (they look so damaged that they would probably be breaking off anyway). I'd then use the lowest grit number of the girlfriend buffer to reduce the look of delamination (and to prevent further delamination).

I'd then perform a hot oil soak (weapon of choice would be CND Almond Milk Bath), then cuticle work as they look quite bad, too.

Then I'd buff in SolarOil with a koala buffer... Then Scrubfresh, then Polish with an opaque colour (to cover up staining).

Advise they would be very weak and peeling a lot, and to use SolarOil 3-4 times a day.

Do this for a week/10 days and then reassess for L&P.

Love this answer! Xxx

Defiantly been picked off, also I would think about the possibly of a fungal infection, a new client had her nails done in turkey by an un-qualified nail tech & then let her friend who is also untrained give her an Infill and her nails had the same green/brown patches on them.

X

Ouch! :( how common is this green infection stuff? It's putting me off getting my acrylics done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defiantly been picked off, also I would think about the possibly of a fungal infection, a new client had her nails done in turkey by an un-qualified nail tech & then let her friend who is also untrained give her an Infill and her nails had the same green/brown patches on them.

X

These nals look like they have a bacterial infection, which is very different from a fungal infection...this article will explain the difference.
http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/2641-moldy-oldy-fun-guys.html

Can't even believe she'd think you'd believe they were soaked off - does she also think you were born yesterday... some people, jeez!!!!!

Sorry, no advice other than keep away from enhancements until she knows how to look after them PROPERLY!!!

Please remember that fungal infections are incredibly rare on fingers and when you see green it's often a bacterial infection. If you don't know the difference do some reading in your books. No rudeness intended. It's also not uncommon but it shouldn't happen often. It occurs with the use of dirty implements, poor prep or lifting which allows bacteria to seep underneath. Her nails are definitely in a scary state but they don't look fungal. They look damaged with a couple greenies. I have no other advice to add that hasn't been added. Just wanted to mention about fungal versus bacterial.

Afraid I have to disagree with the thought of any buffing (with or without Solar Oil). These nails can not stand any buffing .. they need protection and then Solar Oil daily.

The nails need taking right down in length as they are paper thin and will not last at all if not done. For protection and a smooth surface I would use Shellac or a silk wrap and keep short short short for at least 6-8 weeks before letting them try to grow.

These nails are now a work in progress for the two of you. The client has lied to you as you can plainly see by the state of them. Whether she has the patience to work with you to get these nails back to health is the big question.

Even the fantastic Solar Oil, can not do anything to strengthen these nails in a mere 5 days nor would it do anything towards making them assessment ready for re-enhancement in only 5 days. These nails will not be ready for re-enhancement for weeks and weeks, I'm afraid.

I am finding these sorts of problems very interesting... I am still learning and I would like to get as much additional experience as possible in these areas as training doesn't cover all extreme cases (like this!). So please forgive my ignorance... I'd love to pick some brains about the following points.

Afraid I have to disagree with the thought of any buffing (with or without Solar Oil). These nails can not stand any buffing .. they need protection and then Solar Oil daily.

I'm really intruged by this... Why would buffing solar oil in using the 1200 side of the Koala buffer be wrong? Obviously a small amount of nail plate would be removed, but in my experience (which is very limited to my family & my own), once delamination starts it almost 'snowballs'. I presume this is due to being caught, a larger surface area being exposed to the elements and so on.

I find the delamination often does not stop without intervention (i.e. buffing with a 1200+ buffer). There is a trade of between a larger proportion peeling off and taking a smaller proportion off during the service. It has also been confirmed during my manicure training that it is better to remove any flaking/peeling as it will only get worse.

Have I been misinformed/misunderstood or should it be considered on a more case by case basis? I can't imagine the nail plate being very smooth (under polish, so maybe Shellac would smooth it over) and would be quite tempting to pick at... Which wouldn't be good for the nail plate either!

For protection and a smooth surface I would use Shellac or a silk wrap and keep short short short for at least 6-8 weeks before letting them try to grow.

How long would Shellac last over a nail as damaged as this, out of interest?

Even the fantastic Solar Oil, can not do anything to strengthen these nails in a mere 5 days nor would it do anything towards making them assessment ready for re-enhancement in only 5 days. These nails will not be ready for re-enhancement for weeks and weeks, I'm afraid.

So would a NNO in a few weeks time not be an option while the damage grows out as a protective coating?

Thanks in advance
Evie

The only way to make a bumpy surface smooth with any kind of buffer is to remove the bumps! If you remove the bumps to the thinnest point you have nails like cling film.

The best thing about Shellac base coat is that it smooths out ridges, so for a smooth surface either Shellac or a light wrap. A smooth surface stops picking.

If the client is so stupid as to pick anything off after all the damage she has caused then she deserves everything she gets, which is why I said a commitment must be made by the client to work through a period of re-growth.

Shellac will of course not last as well on bendy nails that are thinned which is why the free edge should be removed so that it can't bend. If you do this, Shellac will last much longer.

Last edited:
I had a lady who came to me to have her NSS acrylic removed, which was done very, very gently, and her nails were very similar to this, but with the absence of discolouration, but very deep vibrant rings of fire. there was a lot of nail plate flakiness, in fact, these nails could well have been my clients!

They were treated with TLC, and she really wanted some shellac, so we shortened them drastically, and after they were shellaced she was amazed. The base coat filled in quite a few bumps, and by the time 2 coats of colour were on, (she went for tutti frutti with a coat of silver VIP to diffuse the light a little and make any uneveness less noticeable), plus the top coat, they were transformed.

She oils every day, and now her damage has very nearly grown out, and is loving working her way through the colours.

I had a lady who came to me to have her NSS acrylic removed, which was done very, very gently, and her nails were very similar to this, but with the absence of discolouration, but very deep vibrant rings of fire. there was a lot of nail plate flakiness, in fact, these nails could well have been my clients!

They were treated with TLC, and she really wanted some shellac, so we shortened them drastically, and after they were shellaced she was amazed. The base coat filled in quite a few bumps, and by the time 2 coats of colour were on, (she went for tutti frutti with a coat of silver VIP to diffuse the light a little and make any uneveness less noticeable), plus the top coat, they were transformed.

She oils every day, and now her damage has very nearly grown out, and is loving working her way through the colours.

Thank you ... For your input.

We have done this for many many women in our salon who are now loving their own natural, strong and healthy nails.

Latest posts

Back