they fell off!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola67

Reaction score
Hi there, I just wanted to ask some advice....... I did a set of nails on a young girl last week (l&p, p&w), the salon owner of the shop I work in called me yesterday and said that she had come in with her mum to complain that they had all fallen off!! I know we have heard this one many times before :biggrin: and it is highly unlikely that they just "fell off". I haven't had this happen to me for about 3 years and that was on my first paying client with fabric#, and it turned out that they didn't fall off at all (surprisingly).
Anyway, the client in question is coming in on sat for a replacement set, FOC offered by salon owner and I really want to tackle her about it, because I don't believe for a minute they just fell off. I was going to wipe them with scrubfresh first and just see if there's any trauma to the nail plate (obviously if there isn't I'm wrong) if there is signs of pickings how do I go about letting her know, in a nice way, that I know she's been at them.
I do have quite a few clients both mobile and from the salon I work in and have NEVER had any complaints about them falling off.
thanks Linds x

I don't know if your profile is needing updated, but it says you rent a room in a Sunbed shop.
Is it the sunbed shop manager that has offered this refund? If so she is hardly qualified to make and judgements on this and should have spoken to you first.
If you are now working in a Salon and the Manager is also qualified in Nail Enhancements, then I still think she should have spoken to you first, but maybe it is a financial rather than professional decision and she didn't want to lose the client and her mother if they are regulars.

Sometimes that is client speak for "they were lifting, and when i picked enough they managed to come off". Maybe,possibly a clients odd nail may seem to just fall off (pocket lifting) but never the whole set.
Was she a nail biter? If they lose one or two, they will often prise the rest off...any excuse!
So long as you are confident in your work and most clients are happy and rebooking..then this should set your mind at rest.
Do the scrubfresh thing to be doubly sure.
IMO its never a good thing to put the client on the spot..and teenagers are adept at coverups,lol.
Have a good talk with your boss about the situation after the appointment..i'm sure she doesn't like to be taken advantage of (by clients) and respects your work.

Hello, sorry I do need to update my profile............ I'm working in a different tanning shop but on a 60/40 split rather than renting a room. The salon owner isn't qualified in nail enhancements but has offerend FOC because the mum is a regular on the beds, I completely understand this also she has said I'll still get my 60%. She wasn't actually there when they came in just spoke to her on the phone. Also she has said to me that she doesn't doubt my work at all and understands that nails very rarely fall off.
xx

she may tell you she doesn't doubt your work but the signal she is giving to the client (re FOC replacement set) says otherwise.

personally i would have a word with her and ask that should this situation happen again that you are told about it and that you are the one who deals with it...not a non nail tech sunbed shop owner.

Nothing should be arranged with out first seeing the nails and chatting in person to the client.

The sunbed shop owner may be being fair in saying that it will not effect your money but she isn't thinking about the effect this could have on YOUR business.

I'd also have a word with the owner...she should have let you speak to the client.....

If you can I'd ask the girl if she still has the nails that fell off....as you would like to inspect them to find the cause......maybe this will tell her in a kind way you " know" they did not just fall off.......this way maybe she won't try to suck another free set out of you or the shop owner again.......I can't stand peeps like this! really gets my goat!:twisted:

Hi there, thanks for replies.....

I'd also have a word with the owner...she should have let you speak to the client.....

If you can I'd ask the girl if she still has the nails that fell off....as you would like to inspect them to find the cause......maybe this will tell her in a kind way you " know" they did not just fall off.......this way maybe she won't try to suck another free set out of you or the shop owner again.......I can't stand peeps like this! really gets my goat!:twisted:

I was thinking of doing something along these lines. I read a thread from a while ago where someone had said to the client that if it happens again she should bring the nails in question in, so they can be sent off to a lab, to check if theres anything wrong with the product!! I thought that was quite a good one :p
I've been into the salon this afternoon and the client is booked for a soak off & new set, which leads me to believe there must be some product left on the nail, which in turn leads me to believe that there has been some pickings going on!!
I am quite annoyed about it, I feel like I just wasted 1hr or so of my time doing a lovely set of nails for her and now she's taking up 2hrs tommorrow...........:twisted: Personally I wouldn't have given her FOC as I gave her an aftercare leaflet and explained fully that if anything unusual (lifting etc) happened to come straight back to me and let me look at them before doing anything else.
Never mind, I shall stay calm & be sweet as I question her in depth about how and where they fell off!:wink2:
thanks again.
Linds xx

Hi just thought I'd update you..............
The client didn't come in today, she phoned & cancelled until Monday. I had a chat with her about her nails, as she's booked for a soak off & new set. She said there's glue & product left on her nails, hence the soak off. I asked her about them falling off and she said that they'd all cracked by Monday (I did them on Wed) and then bits started to fall off??
I didn't really understand to be honest so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they look like on Mon.............. xx

Hmm sounds like a strong possibility of them being cracked with her teeth. What I do in these situations is just casually drop into conversation about half way through the appointment " I don't know about you but I can't help having a nibble at them, in fact I am terrible and end up picking them all off!". Now that usually opens up the floodgates for a confessional :eek:. And if mum paid for them then she really won't want to own up that she destroyed the goods.

For me, if people have a problem then they have to come back within the first 7 days for me to at least have a look at them and then assess the situation. After that they don't have a cat in hells chance of a freebie.

Unless your ratio is really up the spout then I really don't see that there would be a reason for them all to crack, and as you say, it's not a problem you usually have, so me thinketh the daughter is not being strictly honest here. Although to be fair as an ex nail biter myself I can honestly say that I didn't even know when I was biting my nails ... until my mother used to shout at me :smack:!!!!!!!!!

Hmm sounds like a strong possibility of them being cracked with her teeth. What I do in these situations is just casually drop into conversation about half way through the appointment " I don't know about you but I can't help having a nibble at them, in fact I am terrible and end up picking them all off!". Now that usually opens up the floodgates for a confessional :eek:. And if mum paid for them then she really won't want to own up that she destroyed the goods.

For me, if people have a problem then they have to come back within the first 7 days for me to at least have a look at them and then assess the situation. After that they don't have a cat in hells chance of a freebie.

Unless your ratio is really up the spout then I really don't see that there would be a reason for them all to crack, and as you say, it's not a problem you usually have, so me thinketh the daughter is not being strictly honest here. Although to be fair as an ex nail biter myself I can honestly say that I didn't even know when I was biting my nails ... until my mother used to shout at me :smack:!!!!!!!!!
OOH thats sneaky..but very clever,lol.:)

OOH thats sneaky..but very clever,lol.:)

It works every time! People don't like to admit that they have failed and haven't kept their end of the bargain with looking after them properly, so this just makes them feel more comfortable at telling the truth. However, I AM the world's worst picker, it's why I tend to go au naturel these days, I just pick them all off :smack:!

Latest posts

Back