they just say yes to everything !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Had a client today who wanted infills on her wraps...as i started filing i could tell right off this was MMA....i asked her if they used any fabric and she said yes...followed by lots of smelly stuff that was dipped in powder and then liquid.

So it seems they now just say yes to everything they are asked for...if you ask for wraps they say yes and just apply fabric followed by MMA ... ask for gel and they say yes and get a pot of MMA out with the word GEL on it...

and ask for fish and chips and they say yes and make you some from MMA !!!

i think im going have to agree wiht u on this one! i had someone come to me a while ago saying she'd had gel....and guess what....MMA!!!

Can i just ask how you know...i feel so ignorant asking this so please slap me:eek::smack::o

Can i just ask how you know...i feel so ignorant asking this so please slap me:eek::smack::o

mma enhancements...usually they are quite "off colour" manky looking lol but full intact with no lifting at all...not even a tiny smidge no matter how long the client has had them for,
they are virtually impossible to file due to the hardness and the smell when you file them is awful stale fishy smell, and you cant soak them off.....usually when someone comes to you for a re balance and they have mma on you can actually see their natural nail growth is actually higher than the enhancement(that an efile has been used and filed so much of the nail plate away...the new nail that you can see as growth looks like step above the enhancement) iykwim lol....

good description joanne!

xx

mma enhancements...usually they are quite "off colour" manky looking lol but full intact with no lifting at all...not even a tiny smidge no matter how long the client has had them for,
they are virtually impossible to file due to the hardness and the smell when you file them is awful stale fishy smell, and you cant soak them off.....usually when someone comes to you for a re balance and they have mma on you can actually see their natural nail growth is actually higher than the enhancement(that an efile has been used and filed so much of the nail plate away...the new nail that you can see as growth looks like step above the enhancement) iykwim lol....

when i was doing my 'course' (ahem) i had to practise on a few people, one of my mates brought a friend of hers along and she had two nails on, she said theyd been on for 4 months, her own nails had grown so much but there was no lifting at all, theyd just grown out with her nails iykwim shed been filing the ends (her words) to keep them a manangebale length, i tried soaking them off, after 50 mins i gave up and to be honest we both said they smelt like stale wee or something, im just wondering if this was MMA, she told me which ainsdale salon she used and i said oh thats the one that butchered my nails , she said its recently changed hands and the nails are great they never come off!! thing is this salon is supposed to be creative? so maybe it wasnt MMA?

but thanks for the description jo, its nice to know what to look out for xx

when i was doing my 'course' (ahem) i had to practise on a few people, one of my mates brought a friend of hers along and she had two nails on, she said theyd been on for 4 months, her own nails had grown so much but there was no lifting at all, theyd just grown out with her nails iykwim shed been filing the ends (her words) to keep them a manangebale length, i tried soaking them off, after 50 mins i gave up and to be honest we both said they smelt like stale wee or something, im just wondering if this was MMA, she told me which ainsdale salon she used and i said oh thats the one that butchered my nails , she said its recently changed hands and the nails are great they never come off!! thing is this salon is supposed to be creative? so maybe it wasnt MMA?

but thanks for the description jo, its nice to know what to look out for xx
This does not sound at all like creative products, sounds just like MMA

Had a client today who wanted infills on her wraps...as i started filing i could tell right off this was MMA....i asked her if they used any fabric and she said yes...followed by lots of smelly stuff that was dipped in powder and then liquid.

So it seems they now just say yes to everything they are asked for...if you ask for wraps they say yes and just apply fabric followed by MMA ... ask for gel and they say yes and get a pot of MMA out with the word GEL on it...

and ask for fish and chips and they say yes and make you some from MMA !!!
Yes, you're right and if you ask for gel they charge £10 extra and still give you l/p whether it's mma or ema, some do use ema believe it or not, but still tell clients it's gel and charge extra for the pleasure.......

client education, not just us......magazines like Bella, Best....you know the horror story mags need to be educated too......

Getting people to complain to their local authorities would be a start and we should encourage the type of client we are talking about to do so....H&S, Trades Descriptions, Environmental Health Office.

Please, please, I'm new to this and just out of college! What is MMA and EMA?! :cry:

Good thread Angie, the salon a few doors down from me does that ... I want gel nails and the do L&P, I want acrylic and they do L&P, I had a lady come in to the salon asking if I do silk and I looked at her nails .... MMA!!!

I booked her in for a removal and full set. I knew they were, they were so badly discoloured, very thick with no lifting at all. I said no way were they silk. I asked her while booking her in if they'd used little pieces of material and she said no. :irked: She'snever going to the salon again and has even told her friends to book in with me. It is shocking what these places will do!

One of my girls in the salon accidently booked a lady in from an NSS salon for infills without asking her if we'd done her nails before or what salon she was from. She came in with fanned out, thick, discoloured nails and I said to her that I would do what I can but I can't promise they will look amazing as I can't guarantee quality on someone elses work, I started filing ... MMA! I rebooked her for a removal and full set after using 5 nail files which were glass smooth by the end of the treatment. My arm was killing me! She was relieved she found me and most appreciative I still did them.

Where may salon is there are two of these salons in the main street opposite me. I'm lucky I'm in the high street and my goal is to have one of these salons close their doors in 6 months ... I'm determined. The amount of people booking in with me from these salons, it's looking possible :)

Let's hope we can all make a difference!

xxxx

Please, please, I'm new to this and just out of college! What is MMA and EMA?! :cry:

MMA - (Methyl Methacrylate) A monomer that is prohibited in many States in America, but unfortunately not here in the UK. There are good reasons why this is a poor ingredient for nail products.
MMA products do not adhere well to the nail.In order to make it adhere better the nails plate has to be roughened up, whicht hins it out and makes it weaker.
MMA creates such a rigid hard nail enhancement, that if it gets jammed or caught the already weakened natural nail will most likely break along with the enhancement.
MMA..as you have read here, is extemely difficult to remove!!!

MMA is also more likely to cause an allergic reaction.

EMA - (Ethyl methacrylate) is the most widely used monomer in the nail industry and the ingredient of choice for L&P systems.

You should check out the MSDS (material safety data sheets) for your products and see what ingredients are used.

Thanx Izzidol,

I guess it's back to my books! God, there is so much to remember!! :cry:

:hug:

Latest posts

Back