"They're rock 'ard Dad!!"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri

Reaction score
Hi guys, i need some adivice please.
Recentlty i've had a few ladies come to me for a re-balance but they have had their enhancements created at one of these salons with the little chinese men and women. The product used to create these nails is like concrete! Thick, hard yellow nails that my file (80/100 grit) simply just cant get through. I am there for ages trying to thin out these nails enough so i can then apply my layer of product. I am left feeling exhausted and frustrated, 1) because of the time it has taken me & 2) the nails still look c**p! when i'm done. Can anyone tell me if there is a way of dealing with these type of nail or do i just refuse to do them. I would rather not turn away customers as i am only just starting out. One lady asked me to soak hers off and it took almost 2 hours, i was not amused!!
Please, can anyone advise, a very new and eager, but very frustrated CND Tech!!
Kerri x

I guess that's why they use drills - to cut through the concrete.

Hi,
Ive had this problem before and felt just like you, in fact I posted a thread on here about it. Most of the advise was the same, lots said they would not do infils on other peoples work as you will probably be using a different product and the colourcan differ, but what most said was that rather than turn customers away, offer a complimentry soak off and then reapply yourself and hopefully they will love them so much they will come back.
I am new to nails and w I would not do infills on someone elses work as I felt the same as you, the client I did infils on has not come back and I dont blame her as I was not happy with them, I did my best but they were v thick and like you i spent ages filing, but Ive learnt my lesson. I think some people must like their nails like that but I think they look so unatural. Anyway its up to you what you do in the future but as Im still a novice Im steering clear in the future and will offer a free soak off, and warn them it could take some time.
Tereasjay

The only advice I would give is about my own salon policy - we won't do infills on other people's work ie if we didn't put the set on, then we won't infill. you don't know what damage another tech may have done to the natural nail - all it takes is for you to do one set of infills and then they want them taken off for whatever reason. Lo, any previous damage then comes to light and guess who takes the rap for it! From what you are saying, sounds like MMA rearing it's head again.

I will not do an infill on another salon's client unless I know it uses Creative Nail Design. There are only 2 other salons in my town that use it so I know which ones use MMA. :evil:

If this new client is from one of the other salons, I soak off and do a new set this can take approximately 3.5 hours so I charge accordingly £15 removal £45 for a new set.

The client is a lot happier and more satisfied as my technique/application is completely different to theirs.

Jue xxx

Julie - my god, 3.5 hours to soak off MMA. I've not had the pleasure of doing it yet, I heard it was bad, but didn't realise it was THAT bad. I hope I never come across the stuff - but guess I will sooner or later - can't wait!
Mrs Gadget said:
I will not do an infill on another salon's client unless I know it uses Creative Nail Design. There are only 2 other salons in my town that use it so I know which ones use MMA. :evil:

If this new client is from one of the other salons, I soak off and do a new set this can take approximately 3.5 hours so I charge accordingly £15 removal £45 for a new set.

The client is a lot happier and more satisfied as my technique/application is completely different to theirs.

Jue xxx

kerri said:
Hi guys, i need some adivice please.
Recentlty i've had a few ladies come to me for a re-balance but they have had their enhancements created at one of these salons with the little chinese men and women. The product used to create these nails is like concrete! Thick, hard yellow nails that my file (80/100 grit) simply just cant get through. I am there for ages trying to thin out these nails enough so i can then apply my layer of product. I am left feeling exhausted and frustrated, 1) because of the time it has taken me & 2) the nails still look c**p! when i'm done. Can anyone tell me if there is a way of dealing with these type of nail or do i just refuse to do them. I would rather not turn away customers as i am only just starting out. One lady asked me to soak hers off and it took almost 2 hours, i was not amused!!
Please, can anyone advise, a very new and eager, but very frustrated CND Tech!!
Kerri x
If they are Yellow then Soak em off- charge them for this service and start again...if they are paying for your time then I would worry about...

We have the same problems here in the US. Here the use of MMA is illegal in most states but the vietnamese salons will use MMA in their products as well as many other illegal products. Like you said the acrylic is like concrete and that's why I keep a little NAIL GENIE JR. in my desk drawer, JUST IN CASE. I never use the E-File unless someone comes in from a vietnamese salon, where in that case you have to. I paid only US $29.99 for it, so it was a good investment even for the few times that i use it.

Thanks guys, Really appreciate the advice. Never knew it was a big no no to work on someone elses work unless the same products were used. I was feeling quite low at the thought of these type of infills, because i just could'nt get it right, now i know it should'nt have been my problem anyway. Thanks for saving me alot of time wasting. Speaking as a newbie to the world of nails, I would be lost without this site, you keep me going when i've lost my way. Thanks everyone.
Kerri x

Sarah

It takes me approximately 2 hours to remove and 1.5 hours to put on new set.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jue xx

sarah haslam said:
From what you are saying, sounds like MMA rearing it's head again.
I did my second ever set of UV Gel on my sister while we were on holiday. The very next dayshe broke one while we were out, & she got it replaced in one of these oriental places. They got a liquid & powder out, & my sister shrieked "no, it's gel" the guy said it is gel, so my sister let the girl (who couldn't speak english) carry on. She put it under the light to set. When completed it was really wonky, and the cuticle line was further away from the cuticle than the others which I had done (bear in mind this was only my 2nd set, the first being the ones I did while training!). They used a drill to remove my gel, but when I tried to smooth it for a rebalance, again, CONCRETE! I now think they were using MMA after reading this thread, shall be calling my sister tomorrow!

Does MMA do damage while it is on the nail plate, or just in the process of application? What I'm trying to say is, should I advise my sister to get it completely removed? She'll be gutted if so, 'cos that nail's been sensitive since these people worked on it. I think they e-filed the nail plate too thin.
sad-smiley-048.gif

All advice greatly appreciated!

Teena_B said:
I did my second ever set of UV Gel on my sister while we were on holiday. The very next dayshe broke one while we were out, & she got it replaced in one of these oriental places. They got a liquid & powder out, & my sister shrieked "no, it's gel" the guy said it is gel, so my sister let the girl (who couldn't speak english) carry on. She put it under the light to set. When completed it was really wonky, and the cuticle line was further away from the cuticle than the others which I had done (bear in mind this was only my 2nd set, the first being the ones I did while training!). They used a drill to remove my gel, but when I tried to smooth it for a rebalance, again, CONCRETE! I now think they were using MMA after reading this thread, shall be calling my sister tomorrow!

Does MMA do damage while it is on the nail plate, or just in the process of application? What I'm trying to say is, should I advise my sister to get it completely removed? She'll be gutted if so, 'cos that nail's been sensitive since these people worked on it. I think they e-filed the nail plate too thin.
sad-smiley-048.gif

All advice greatly appreciated!
I had to get on my mother about this because she would let these same places put so-called "gels" on her. And one day I accompanied her to her appointment, just to observe, and sure enough they used liquid and powder. I told the man that it was not GEL, and he said it was, and proceeded to show me the jars that were labeled "Gels" but it was the same foul smelling liquid and powder that they always use. And then what they do is put a UV top coat over it and cure it, to make the customer feel like they are having gels. My mom refused to listen to me, and she stills goes to these places. But that's another story, because I mentioned before how she feels about me being a nail tech in the first place. Every time I look at her nails, I want to throw up, and her natural nails are so thin, I swear she's down to the flesh!! Ugh!

Latest posts

Back