thick gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolep

Reaction score
ok, so I thought I would tidy up my gel draw and found that some of my coloured gels had gone thick. I use bio and calgel. is there anything I can do with them? Can I keep them in the fridge? I tried a new gel recently and the owner said to keep them in the fridge. thoughts would be great.

thanx

Hi Carole

Keeping them in the fridge will make the consistency stiffer.

Keeping them somewhere warm will make the consistency runnier.

hth x

Hi Carole

Keeping them in the fridge will make the consistency stiffer.

Keeping them somewhere warm will make the consistency runnier.

hth x

hi. then should I take them out the draw of my trolly and put them somewhere warmer?

Remember you must keep them out of uv light they can be affected over time even in their pots.When in use pop the lid on in between layers and make sure they are nowhere near your curing lamp.
I store mine in a black case under my couch well away from any light and they are all fine so far.

never heard of keeping them in the fridge.

i keep mine in my nail box in my desk.

ok, so I thought I would tidy up my gel draw and found that some of my coloured gels had gone thick. I use bio and calgel. is there anything I can do with them? Can I keep them in the fridge? I tried a new gel recently and the owner said to keep them in the fridge. thoughts would be great.

thanx
You say the gels have gone thick as in consistency? But not cured? Therefore I would guess that this may be because you are experiencing your winter in South Africa and as the houses are not centrally heated, the colder weather has caused the gel to have a thick consistency.

I'm just hazarding a guess here Carol. I've had similar probs here in UK and have had to place the gel pot briefly on a warmish radiator to make it more liquid. I do know that some places in SA have had a very cold and wet winter.

What do you think?

You say the gels have gone thick as in consistency? But not cured? Therefore I would guess that this may be because you are experiencing your winter in South Africa and as the houses are not centrally heated, the colder weather has caused the gel to have a thick consistency.

I'm just hazarding a guess here Carol. I've had similar probs here in UK and have had to place the gel pot briefly on a warmish radiator to make it more liquid. I do know that some places in SA have had a very cold and wet winter.

What do you think?

thank you for the help. could it also not be that maby I have had the gels too long?

Carol

I hope you don't mind me asking- you say you use both Calgel and Bio Scupture is there one you prefer over the other?

I've had some Bio gels for ages....bought from a previous tech for practising when i first started and they haven't gone thick, so i'm guessing like Tracey says its temperature.

One small thought though, I was told that I must keep the little white plastic insert (Not the foil seal - the one that actually sits in the lid) in the lid and not throw it. Apparently bio gels can leak and even start to cure without this?

Carole how old are the gels in question?

The only time I'd put mine in the fridge was in the height of summer when I used to be mobile, and I'd stick them in there for an hour or so before going out if it was quite a way, I'd wrap them in foil to prevent them going too runny.

You could try putting yours somewhere warmer but don't expose them to uv light. It would be quite unusual to need to warm gels at this time of year really.

thank you for the help. could it also not be that maby I have had the gels too long?
Firstly, How long have you had them?

Secondly, If you have had them too long then I would think they would start curing in their pots. I may be wrong but it's just a suggestion.

You have nothing to lose by popping the pots on a hotty or in a warm room (away from light) before give them another try.

Another thought I had is that you have had problems before with your Calgel glitter gels going hard. If it is nothing you are doing wrong then could it be your supplier? It's just a thought and something to think about. HTH.

Carol

I hope you don't mind me asking- you say you use both Calgel and Bio Scupture is there one you prefer over the other?

hi, I use both as I have clients who prefer one over the other. But personally I like calgel.

Firstly, How long have you had them?

Secondly, If you have had them too long then I would think they would start curing in their pots. I may be wrong but it's just a suggestion.

You have nothing to lose by popping the pots on a hotty or in a warm room (away from light) before give them another try.

Another thought I had is that you have had problems before with your Calgel glitter gels going hard. If it is nothing you are doing wrong then could it be your supplier? It's just a thought and something to think about. HTH.

I am finding the colours gels which are going thick to be more from bio at the moment. The calgel ones are ok at present, just those doggy glitter ones! The bio i have had for quite a time, but I also have other bio gels which I have had far longer, like a year or so and they are fine. So I think you must all be correct - the tempretarure. I will try putting them in a warmer enviroment. then maby in summer if I need to, try them in maby a airconed enviroment??

thanx everyone

One small thought though, I was told that I must keep the little white plastic insert (Not the foil seal - the one that actually sits in the lid) in the lid and not throw it. Apparently bio gels can leak and even start to cure without this?

I made the mistake of removing the white insert and it made the gel messy. It's like the gel almost oozed up the inside of the pot and around the rim while the lid was on. Now, I can't get said pot cleaned up. My ones with the white inserts have stayed clean. I was also told that halogen lights can partially cure the gel and make it thick. I had to buy a new lamp as my Ikea one was halogen.

I made the mistake of removing the white insert and it made the gel messy. It's like the gel almost oozed up the inside of the pot and around the rim while the lid was on. Now, I can't get said pot cleaned up. My ones with the white inserts have stayed clean. I was also told that halogen lights can partially cure the gel and make it thick. I had to buy a new lamp as my Ikea one was halogen.

hi. I have kept the little inserts in my gels, but I know what you mean by the gel rising up and out and about the rims! can be messy to clean.

I always keep my little inserts in now and have found them not too bad at all, just one problem, went to use my diamond calgel, and it is completely solid!!! the lid has been completely closed but it has cured into one big lump, anyone else had this problem:hug:

I always keep my little inserts in now and have found them not too bad at all, just one problem, went to use my diamond calgel, and it is completely solid!!! the lid has been completely closed but it has cured into one big lump, anyone else had this problem:hug:

yip, I had the same thing happen to all my glitters from calel. Looked after them and low and behold - one solid lump!

Latest posts

Back