Thick Shellac top coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propeditechus

Reaction score
We have just started using the entire Shellac system a few months ago, and we are finding that our top coat is fairly thick. Is this common, are we doing something wrong, is there a "fix"??

We do have a paint shaker to shake the bottles properly.

(We are in the US, and according to our forums it was common among nail techs here to mix systems when gel polishes first came out. We stuck with one base and top coat from one company - in our case Gelish because we purchased that line first - and any color that we liked from any random company. We were not using Shellac base and top coat with our Shellac colors. But we are now completely reformed, and we have discovered that we really love using Shellac the way it was intended - as a system.)

We have just started using the entire Shellac system a few months ago, and we are finding that our top coat is fairly thick. Is this common, are we doing something wrong, is there a "fix"??

We do have a paint shaker to shake the bottles properly.

(We are in the US, and according to our forums it was common among nail techs here to mix systems when gel polishes first came out. We stuck with one base and top coat from one company - in our case Gelish because we purchased that line first - and any color that we liked from any random company. We were not using Shellac base and top coat with our Shellac colors. But we are now completely reformed, and we have discovered that we really love using Shellac the way it was intended - as a system.)

The top coat is thicker, but shouldn't be VERY thick or difficult or unmanageable to use. Perhaps it has been kept on Stock too long from where you purchased it? Otherwise make sure your techs are capping tightly and not keeping bottles open too long.

Shellac as a system rocks and so glad you are sticking to that. Live and learn eh? Also very exciting to see the SIX recently granted patents, VERY excited about that, to the Shellac system that finally shows to the doubters, that Shellac is truly the ONLY one of its kind, a new innovation, and nothing like anything else. Just like the new VINYLUX .... New technology, unlike any other polish.

Geeg, Thank you so much for answering my post, and for not yelling at me :eek: !!

My top coats are the new large size, and we don't do anything unusual with them. My techs are very seasoned and careful. But we have all noticed the top coat is much thicker than other top coats we have used. They take a bit of finessing to get it on. Guess we are just not used to it?

When I was at the Premiere Orlando Beauty Show in June, an educator from Artistic Colour Gloss spoke about the importance of using systems and UV/LED lamps made for the product of choice. When I got back to the salon and did just that, I found that it does make a difference.

I was so very sincerely impressed with Shellac after using the proper base and top coat (and I already had a Brisa lamp). Now I recommend Shellac to problem clients with less than stellar nails because of ease of removal. It has been staying on client's nails like a champ, too.

Very excited to hear there will be an LED lamp for quicker applications - assuming it will be quicker cure times. Will make our staff very happy. Any idea when the lamps will be available?

Geeg, Thank you so much for answering my post, and for not yelling at me :eek: !!

My top coats are the new large size, and we don't do anything unusual with them. My techs are very seasoned and careful. But we have all noticed the top coat is much thicker than other top coats we have used. They take a bit of finessing to get it on. Guess we are just not used to it?

When I was at the Premiere Orlando Beauty Show in June, an educator from Artistic Colour Gloss spoke about the importance of using systems and UV/LED lamps made for the product of choice. When I got back to the salon and did just that, I found that it does make a difference.

I was so very sincerely impressed with Shellac after using the proper base and top coat (and I already had a Brisa lamp). Now I recommend Shellac to problem clients with less than stellar nails because of ease of removal. It has been staying on client's nails like a champ, too.

Very excited to hear there will be an LED lamp for quicker applications - assuming it will be quicker cure times. Will make our staff very happy. Any idea when the lamps will be available?

I don't know the date when the lamps will be available ... Next year anyway but that isn't much help.

To be honest we find that the CND UV lamp suits the speed at which we apply polish ... We have two lamps at every desk for client comfort and our service time is about 30 minutes ... 40. With removal. We think that is a fast enough service time and of course using an LED lamp would not make for a faster service .... I can of course see the usefulness of LED for nail art or doing my own nails or a quick repair, but I'm not going to rush out to invest in one unless it makes me more money.

Back to the Shellac top coat ... It is thicker than other top coats so that just needs getting used to and brushing it out nicely ... But it should be easy to use and not difficult. X

I don't know the date when the lamps will be available ... Next year anyway but that isn't much help.

To be honest we find that the CND UV lamp suits the speed at which we apply polish ... We have two lamps at every desk for client comfort and our service time is about 30 minutes ... 40. With removal. We think that is a fast enough service time and of course using an LED lamp would not make for a faster service .... I can of course see the usefulness of LED for nail art or doing my own nails or a quick repair, but I'm not going to rush out to invest in one unless it makes me more money.

Back to the Shellac top coat ... It is thicker than other top coats so that just needs getting used to and brushing it out nicely ... But it should be easy to use and not difficult. X

I only just got my uv lamp- blooming hope it's a while off for the LED!!! Lol

I find the top coat is a bit thicker when cold. You can bring it up to room temp before use it by for example placing it under your thigh, subtly of course !

Yes the top coat is thick & gets thicker the longer you have it but warming it up before use (sitting on it etc) really does help a little.

My large top coat is a lot thicker than my normal sized one, they are stored the sane and brought at the sane time (small one for rockstar) is this normal? X

I stopped buying the large ones as they do seem to get thicker. I much prefer the smaller bottles.

I've stopped buying the larger bottles. I buy the small ones now and I put them in my bra for warming up at the beginning. My clients laugh about what else is kept in there!

I currently have 3 part used bottles of top coat sat in my drawer. They are so thick they are unfit but I use them for nail art.

I do about 6-8 Shellacs a day and It takes me 40 minutes per person so I don't have it open for am age nor does it sit there unused. The only thing I can think of is that I work in a window. I do however keep them under my desk and away from my lamp when not in use. I too found the larger bottle much worse than the standard one.

So frustrating though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Same here- large size much thicker than small. Will be ordering small next time

Latest posts

Back