Thick Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzypanda

Reaction score
hello fellow geeks i was just wondering about the shellac since i use gellish but im still in training and my school uses the gelish line except for white french they use shellac. so i thought id try it out on a staff member and it was THICK. not watery like gelish or opi but SUPER thick. i shook the bottle and everything! still thick! is there a gel polish thinner i can add or something to thin it out? apparently it was fine when they first bought it but now thats its mostly used up its extremely thick. just wanted your answers before i go and buy shellac and have it end up like this and have to throw it away...

It should not be thick, maybe it being a college bottle it has not been taken care of or even been too close to the lamp so partially cured?

Shellac does need a REALLY good shake before use too.

Why do they use Gelish but then Shellac for french?
Rhiannon x

hi hun

i find cream puff shellac slightly thicker than other colours which i understand to be the norm. I shake it longer than the other colours and apply it very thinly. A little of cream puff goes a long way. If you go on you tube and search finger nail fixer she shows you how to apply cream puff avoiding thick application.

Another thing to consider is how long the lid has been left off and whether the bottle has been closed tightly. This can contribute to thickening of shellac.

You can't thin shellac with another product just to let you know.

As an aside i hope your college is using the cnd lamp, shellac base and top when using shellac products, how strange that they use gelish for everything else and shellac only for French.

Shellac is a fabulous product when used as a whole system, you can't go wrong with hun! I would suggest a shellac brings them back course for you once purchased as this is great to learn and get to know the products.

Hth x x x

ha ha geek above quicker typer than me lol sorry for repeating x

I have found that generally Shellac is thicker than Gelish.

xx

hi hun

i find cream puff shellac slightly thicker than other colours which i understand to be the norm. I shake it longer than the other colours and apply it very thinly. A little of cream puff goes a long way. If you go on you tube and search finger nail fixer she shows you how to apply cream puff avoiding thick application.

Another thing to consider is how long the lid has been left off and whether the bottle has been closed tightly. This can contribute to thickening of shellac.

You can't thin shellac with another product just to let you know.

As an aside i hope your college is using the cnd lamp, shellac base and top when using shellac products, how strange that they use gelish for everything else and shellac only for French.

Shellac is a fabulous product when used as a whole system, you can't go wrong with hun! I would suggest a shellac brings them back course for you once purchased as this is great to learn and get to know the products.

Hth x x x

ha ha geek above quicker typer than me lol sorry for repeating x

Lol you worded it better than I did!
I forgot to mention about the CND lamp :D
Rhiannon x

As already stated the only Shellac color that gets thick is Cream Puff. The other colors have an even consistency. Also as stated as you use the colors and have them open for awhile or don't wipe off the bottle if it gets build up on it, this allows air to get in and just like some regular polishes, they get a little thicker. It shouldn't be where you can't work with it though. Even when Cream Puff gets a little thicker, you can still just put a little tiny bit of it on the tip of your brush and it still spreads easily on the nail.

So far, my experience with Gelish is that it has more of a watery, transparent look to it and some colors need three coats. You never have that with Shellac.

thank you all for your replies <3 i will go and inspect that bottle tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back