thick whites!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
i, STILL having trouble with my akzentz whites!!! which ever way i try to apply they still look thicker than the clear, this is what i'm doing;

prep
apply options clear (sometimes x2 for weak nails)
apply white
apply quite a thick layer of clear, trying to "drizzle" more where the white meets the clear

at presant i am wiping of the dispertion layer and filling or buffing to shape to get a nice smooth nail then finishing with another clear layer but i'm not sure this is the way to go, i feel it looks a little unproffesional to have to wipe off file/buff to shape and apply clear again??? any help would be great :rolleyes:

I dont use akzentz hun but I use NSI and for my POW I put it on it two very thin coats, the first coat you can still see the nail beneath iykwim and the the 2nd coat covers it nicely. I also make sure that i wipe the free edge to make sure that its not all sitting there before I cure

HTH

Rachel

i, STILL having trouble with my akzentz whites!!!

Lilly, I don't use Akzentz either, but one tip I learned about on this site helped me get away from having bulky whites when working with gel. After applying white but before curing, use a clean brush to swipe out the area where you will apply the white. After curing, when you apply the white in the swiped out area, it is closer to being level with the clear. It makes a big difference!
alex

Hi Lilly,

I am not sure what you mean with "thick white". What kind of white do you use? I use the builder french white. For me, it's not white enough and I also think it's too thick. What I do is that I make a blend of 70% builder french white and 30% Paint on white. Then you get a whiter white but still a strong white.

I always take off the sticky layer (can't remember the word right now... :)), file and shape, and then top gloss. I have tried to make a smooth and nice nails without filing and shaping in between, but I can't do it. For me, it will always be a little "dip" or a "bump". I have not seen anybody making all 10 nails PERFECT (at least what I will call a perfect nail) without filing and shaping. I have seen educators have done it at shows, but for me, they are not good enough. This is only my experience, so PLEASE don't jump at me for saying it!

Cec

I also agree that you should shape and buff before you put on the gloss, so you shouldn't feel unprofessional by doing that.

I have to say when i do gel nails, i usually find there will be some nails i don't need to touch, but others i do because the client slightly moves her finger or holds it at the wrong angle, or even i haven't noticed a slight dip or bump due to my application.( we aren't always perfect...lol) You would be more unprofessional by leaving it in the first place than to correct it and finish.

I always file my nails thin, then apply the white which is a thick white, then do my clear build etc, refine, then gloss. I rarely do a set of nails where i don't need to a little or a lot refinement, but then i am a perfectionist. You carry on doing the refinement, it makes your nails better quality, IMO.

there is nothing wrong with wiping..buffing and then applying the gloss.

also the white will look thicker than clear....becouse (a) you are adding another coat and (b) cos white is a solid colour and clear is clear...optical illusions thing...so when you look down the barrel of the nail on just clear it looks thinner than when you look down to white.

I do bonder layer...cure
1 thin layer of pink...cure
another layer of pink building in zone 2...cure
1 layer of POW...cure
1 layer of clear zone 2 and 3 only...cure (sorry i mean 2 and 1...not 3)
wipe, buff to shape and wipe again
topgloss...cure
wipe and oil.

HTH x

there is nothing wrong with wiping..buffing and then applying the gloss.

also the white will look thicker than clear....becouse (a) you are adding another coat and (b) cos white is a solid colour and clear is clear...optical illusions thing...so when you look down the barrel of the nail on just clear it looks thinner than when you look down to white.

I do bonder layer...cure
1 thin layer of pink...cure
another layer of pink building in zone 2...cure
1 layer of POW...cure
1 layer of clear zone 2 and 3 only...cure
wipe, buff to shape and wipe again
topgloss...cure
wipe and oil.

HTH x

Hi Angie,

Why do you only put a layer of clear in zone 2 & 3 only after applying the POW ?

Marlise

thanks everyone :hug:, its been on my mind, i feel like i'm gonna turn into a nail soon !!!

Hi Angie,

Why do you only put a layer of clear in zone 2 & 3 only after applying the POW ?

Marlise

sorry chick i meant 2 and 1....non in zone 3 so to keep it as thin as possible

look at me getting all my zones in a muddle...:lol:

sorry chick i meant 2 and 1....non in zone 3 so to keep it as thin as possible

look at me getting all my zones in a muddle...:lol:

Aha !

Makes a lot more sense now :lol:

Marlise

hi bagpus, would you do the same application for the brite white options ?

yes ... just that most of my clients prefer the soft white to the bright white...but both are used in the same way.

Latest posts

Back