Thickness of acrylics!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nads6699

Reaction score
Just having a moment ladies!!

Just had a compaint that my nails arent strong enough (she broke 2) as they are 2 thin!!

How thick or thin should they be??

i try and have a thin zone 1 and 3 and build zone 2 for strenght.

Are there any picture i could see etc ??

Thanks ladies need a bit or reassurance i think lol:irked:

i'd love to see how thick other peoples nails are too, i'm not sure i've got the thickness right either ...

It's not so much the thickness as it is stuctured correctly with a good apex and a thicker in the center from cuticle to free edge, I think it is called a lateral arch but I am not sure. It is also the shape more curve is stronger than flat. They say about 2 credit cards thick should be enough.

Nails can be thin, but they have to be even. It they are too thin on the sides or the free edge they'll break, crack or lift. Be careful when filing the sides that you're not inadvertantly filing too much of your free edge away.

And as becca boo said, the structure is really important as well.

There are lots of tutorials on here with pictures, and you can always look at gallery pictures too. Here's one that shows a barrel shot.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-art-tutorials/104904-red-instinct.html

Last edited:
It's not so much the thickness as it is stuctured correctly with a good apex and a thicker in the center from cuticle to free edge, I think it is called a lateral arch but I am not sure. It is also the shape more curve is stronger than flat. They say about 2 credit cards thick should be enough.
I was told the same, 2 credit cards at your apex.

You can also give them a thinner appearance by using your barrel bit at a 45 degree angle under the free edge--beveling it a little. This will keep your strength, but keep the appearance of a thinner nail down the barrel.

You can also give them a thinner appearance by using your barrel bit at a 45 degree angle under the free edge--beveling it a little. This will keep your strength, but keep the appearance of a thinner nail down the barrel.

I do the same sometimes, if client is really sensitive about the thinckness of the free edge. Works great.

Something else to consider......is the client possibly choosing a length that is way tooo long for her lifestyle? I wear a super long nail as do a few of my clients but I have found that for most ladies it is just not realistic. I do use all the tricks listed above to make them appear thinner at the free edge as I do wear them so long but alas not many of my clients have found that they can function properly when wearing them so long as you must change how you use your hands and your fingers.

Last edited:

Yes, this on the free edge too I hate haveing the free edge thick

Latest posts

Back