Thickness of your acrylics, pics please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty_sarah

Reaction score
Hey geeks, I was wondering if people could post how thick they have their acrylics as I'm a recent acrylic technician and like to keep mine quite thin but want to see if I'm doing it right and not leaving them too thin that they break on my clients if they want them thin, any help would be great xxxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337548953.961067.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337548953.961067.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,672
Hiya!

First of all your nails are beautiful. Are they pink and whites?

This is a set of my acrylics. From my experience you can get acrylics incredibly thin as long as you build an apex. This is provide strength in the right place for the client so that they will be beautifully thin yet strong. I personally love a good apex however I have worked with technicians that prefer them much flatter. This is a picture of a clients nails after a rebalance. They are a full set of acrylics with a French gel overlay. The thumb probably shows the size of the apex accurately.

Hth

Jody x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337549536.533979.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337549536.533979.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 742
P & W l&p client had wedding. Gem in smile line xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337550627.608883.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337550627.608883.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 708
here is a pic of mine. im relatively new to L&P still tryin to perfect my smile lines. i guess patience and practice and a lot of it lol
pink and white acrylic

Attachments

• kelly infill b.jpg
    kelly infill b.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,046
  • kelly infill c.jpg
    kelly infill c.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 2,365
  • kelly infill d.jpg
    kelly infill d.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 834
  • kelly infill e.jpg
    kelly infill e.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,889
My trademark for l & p was that they looked natural. Here's a set with Shellac Tropix.

423932_3024765335885_1165291278_2292234_558158544_n.jpg

What a good thread, I have been wondering the same, my greatest fear is that I will be creating a set of chunky Cornish Shovels on innocent unsuspecting clients hands. Even with the limited experience I have I have come across nails ready for removal, repair or infilling that I would be ashamed of. Did make me wonder if I was being too critical of other technicians work or if I was trying to do them wrong. I also love nails to look thin, sleek and natural but always worry that they will be too weak. I am glad to hear someone re-enforcing the fact that as long as there is a good Apex, they will last.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics as I never thought to take any at first. Regret it now as it is lovely to watch how you improve

I read on here that the free edge should be roughly the thickness of one credit card and the thickness at the apex roughly two credit cards.

So I take a credit with me as a guide. I was doing my acrylics way to thin and my clients were breaking them all the time. Since using my credit Card they have hardly broken any.

Obviously when applying tips the more you blend the thinner the free edge. Credit card thickness applies to the acrylic not the tip. Again I thought it applied to the acrylic and the tip another reason why mine were breaking. In order to get a sleek look blend the tip as thin as possible. The tip is not there for strength it is only a guide. Better still have a go at sculpting that way your enhancement look super thin but super strong. Just make sure you build up the apex well.

Also you need to press the product down really well which ensures the zones all mesh together which adds strength and aids thinness.

I was too scared to press the product down so I was getting loads of lifting and working far to dry so the zones weren't sort of joining together iygwim.

I haven't been doing nails very long but these are all tips I have picked up on Salongeek.

Lastly Geeg once told me everyone is different and you have to treat each client as an individual. I've got ladies with 7 horses so they can't have these super thin enhancements they just don't last. I don't mean doing house bricks, but yes they need a slightly thicker free edge. They don't mind at all. Rather that than them breaking them all the time and doing loads of damage to their natural nails. Plus all the time to keep repairing.

Good luck ladies.

Hiya!

First of all your nails are beautiful. Are they pink and whites?

This is a set of my acrylics. From my experience you can get acrylics incredibly thin as long as you build an apex. This is provide strength in the right place for the client so that they will be beautifully thin yet strong. I personally love a good apex however I have worked with technicians that prefer them much flatter. This is a picture of a clients nails after a rebalance. They are a full set of acrylics with a French gel overlay. The thumb probably shows the size of the apex accurately.

Hth

Jody x
Hi yes they are pink and whites but with young nails cover pink, these are my first set using cover pink, I've re done them but I'm getting showing in the middle so I'm filing too much, I have a really good c curve but didn't want a high apex, thanx for ur pic and comment x

I read on here that the free edge should be roughly the thickness of one credit card and the thickness at the apex roughly two credit cards.

So I take a credit with me as a guide. I was doing my acrylics way to thin and my clients were breaking them all the time. Since using my credit Card they have hardly broken any.

Obviously when applying tips the more you blend the thinner the free edge. Credit card thickness applies to the acrylic not the tip. Again I thought it applied to the acrylic and the tip another reason why mine were breaking. In order to get a sleek look blend the tip as thin as possible. The tip is not there for strength it is only a guide. Better still have a go at sculpting that way your enhancement look super thin but super strong. Just make sure you build up the apex well.

Also you need to press the product down really well which ensures the zones all mesh together which adds strength and aids thinness.

I was too scared to press the product down so I was getting loads of lifting and working far to dry so the zones weren't sort of joining together iygwim.

I haven't been doing nails very long but these are all tips I have picked up on Salongeek.

Lastly Geeg once told me everyone is different and you have to treat each client as an individual. I've got ladies with 7 horses so they can't have these super thin enhancements they just don't last. I don't mean doing house bricks, but yes they need a slightly thicker free edge. They don't mind at all. Rather that than them breaking them all the time and doing loads of damage to their natural nails. Plus all the time to keep repairing.

Good luck ladies.

I'm only practicing sculpting as I taught myself tips a along time ago and Youngs teach you to use pink n white acrylic over natural tips, thank you for the advice xx

Is this too thin? X

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337587121.560613.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337587121.560613.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 619

Latest posts

Back