Thin as a credit card

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseDavidNailDesign

Reaction score
I just read an article where John Haulk anwered a writers question about the difference between a comp nail and a salon nail. He said a salon nail should be the thickness of a credit card, while a comp nail is the thickness of a piece of paper.
Would you Geeks agree with this comparison? I never know when the nail is too thin.
Thanks

PS Anyone able to post a barrell shot of their nail next to a credit card?

I would say:

Comp Nail - Business Card thickness at the free-edge
Salon Nail - Credit Card thickness at the free-edge

If you look in my gallery on my website there are a few comp nails there.

This is a great bit of information ,for the first time I now know what to look for when doing my nails thankyou,
Great nails Christine !!!

I would not use paper as the thickness desired in a competition nail.

THIN yes but paper?? Even natural nails are not that thin.

I prefer the business card idea ... it is more realistic.

Well I'm glad that nobody can see me sitting here holding up cards against my nails, most people think I'm mad as it is.:green:
Really helpful info:)

comp nails are 2 days a year, it's the other days you should be concerned about

Well I'm glad that nobody can see me sitting here holding up cards against my nails, most people think I'm mad as it is.:green:
Really helpful info:)

:lol: I just did the same thing, but as I've cut up all my credit cards I had to use an out of date Gala Bingo one!

:lol: I just did the same thing, but as I've cut up all my credit cards I had to use an out of date Gala Bingo one!

Really made me laugh:lol::lol::lol:

I was intrested in the salon nail. I just can't say I've seen many salon nails this thin. That is why its hard to know what to go for. But thank you, I'll start sculpting much thinner!

Well iv got a long way to go mine are as thick a coaster :lol:

SPOT ON CARL!!!

There has to be some strength xxxxxxxx

I prefer the business and credit card too. What about tips and overlay?? How thick are the tips without the overlay??

BTW, a comp nail might be Z1, Z2, Z3 business card, a salon nail is only 'credit card' in Z1 and Z3, NOT Z2!

(oooh, it looks like it's all about sleeping!!!)

I prefer the business and credit card too. What about tips and overlay?? How thick are the tips without the overlay??

BTW, a comp nail might be Z1, Z2, Z3 business card, a salon nail is only 'credit card' in Z1 and Z3, NOT Z2!

I agree Z2 in salon nails is always abit thicker for the stress area, thats really important!!

Paper thin tho lol, if i got my comp nails paper thin i'd be back at square 1 as i would have blende out all the white lol

I was wondering about that too. Do you think z2 has to be as thick as we often see. Everytime I do a rebalance when I shorten the nail to the original thisk, its so thick. I find it real hard to get it thin enough to put new white and still have some room for shaping without busting through it.
Maybe if I made the nail thinner in z2 the rebalance would go smoother for me, what do you all think?

I was wondering about that too. Do you think z2 has to be as thick as we often see. Everytime I do a rebalance when I shorten the nail to the original thisk, its so thick. I find it real hard to get it thin enough to put new white and still have some room for shaping without busting through it.
Maybe if I made the nail thinner in z2 the rebalance would go smoother for me, what do you all think?

i too often have this problem! i struggle to get my rebalanced nails looking as thin as the original set.:rolleyes:

i think alot has to do with the client and the nails...its nice to have a guide but isn't it just that...a guide. You couldn't use this as a must for all clients and all nails.

I have some clients that can have them nice and thin in all zones and have no problems at all...others need a much more reinforced enhancement that is thicker than others.

After time i feel i get to know the clients nails and what will work best for them...but that might not be whats best for my next client. x

Latest posts

Back