thin, fine hair and perms, body perm & root perm

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have thin, fine shoulder length hair in a bob, and it's got no volume at all (I have to wash it and put rollers in every day to get any volume and then it drops out no matter what products I use), I'm thinking of having an acid body wave perm, would this give it body, and can I then have the straight roots permed afterwards, what's your professional advice please. Love Teresa (skin geek)

My sister-in-law is in the same boat. She too has a shoulder length bob but her hair is very thin/fine. I have just unveiled my own hair after 14 years as I had/have alopecia (wore weaves and wigs!!)and although I am euphoric at the moment I wanted to see it a bit fuller - its still very fine in some areas.

I'll get to the point now - we went and bought clip in hair extensions from Sallys (my sister in law removed the clips and applied liquid gold glue to hers and attaches more permanently but I prefer to stick with the clip ins). The difference is amazing. My sister-in-law has a naturally looking thick head of hair (still a bob) and I have a POB with the help of the extensions.

Just thought I'd suggest an alternative to think about

thanx for that, I may think about extensions, but at the moment am more interested in hearing about wave perms and root perms if anyone's any advice please. Cheers though. x

I have thin, fine shoulder length hair in a bob, and it's got no volume at all (I have to wash it and put rollers in every day to get any volume and then it drops out no matter what products I use), I'm thinking of having an acid body wave perm, would this give it body, and can I then have the straight roots permed afterwards, what's your professional advice please. Love Teresa (skin geek)

Hello Teresa Jeffries , yes you can do this , I like acid perms as I think they keeps the condition really nice ,
Accliam do some lovely bouncy acid perms,

Also your hair would have a lot more root volume if you had just a tiny few light layers put in your bob,
you can also just have the roots permed too ,
root perm solutions can come in a gel like subtsance so that it doesnt penetrate all the way through to the ends and it just goes on the root area where it needs it

I think a very soft perm will give you loads more body and volume in the hair ,
you will also need some professional aftercare advice from the hairdresser and some good products too,
plus you will also need to get used to embracing your new curls and styling it ect ,

if you ask the hairdresser to give you a very soft tousled look on very large perm rods
so that you can wash and leave it ,
I think this is would be the best way forward for you
as you will have the option of smoothing or curling your hair too

good luck :hug: x and let us know how you go on x minky

although a perm sounds like a good idea initially , the main problem i can see is damage from after styling , ok if you intend to let it be curly/wavy . but blow drying and straightening can ruin non permed fine hair let alone permed fine hair. think long and hard before you go through with a perm . personally i hate them theres just somehing a bit too permenant about them and blow drying them out even a soft one for a trained hairdresser is a skill , so you,d have to be well sure you can manage a hairdrier before you take the plunge. hope this helps..:)

Minky and Andy - thanx for your comments, lots to think about, as I'm so busy I'd just be washing and leaving it wavy, so think Minky might be right, I'm seeing my hairdresser in couple weeks so I'll ask her about it all. Like the idea of more volume and like that the solution can be gell so won't run down the hair shaft. I tend to just wash and leave it and don't use hair dryer at all generally (cos found makes no difference!!), so hopefully it'll not be too damaging. Thanx loads to you both, love T xxxx

Latest posts

Back