Thin hair after extensions-will my hair get back to how it was?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SE16girl

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just had my extensions taken out after wearing a weave for almost 9 months. My hair before was always quite fine but I had a lot of it - I got extensions as it never seemed to grow past my shoulders.

Having taken them out now, I can see that I have definitely lost hair which has resulted in it looking and feeling a lot thinner. Yes, part of it feeling thinner is due to having got used to extensions and more volume, but I know for a fact my natural hair has thinned from my 'ponytail test' and seeing my hair up the ponytail is much thinner than it was.

I am concerned now, as I am worried my hair will never get back to how it was! Good news is I have no bald patches, I think my hair loss is purely due to the weight of the extensions and perhaps not being able to protect my natural hair as well underneath them with heat protection spray etc for all the styling extensions have required. And not being able to stimulate my scalp as much when washing.

I'd love to hear some reassurance from anyone who has seen similar case (or had this yourself) and if you can recommend what helped your hair thicken and get back to its natural state?

I believe extensions prevent you from being able to wash the hair as effectively.
Extensionists out there will no doubt disagree with me but due to the bonds you cannot get your fingers to the scalp in quite the same way.
If the scalp is not efficiently cleaned, a build up of dead skin cells could potentially block the follicle
Also, the lack of massage stimulation could also result in a less productive hair follicle

I believe extensions prevent you from being able to wash the hair as effectively.
Extensionists out there will no doubt disagree with me but due to the bonds you cannot get your fingers to the scalp in quite the same way.
If the scalp is not efficiently cleaned, a build up of dead skin cells could potentially block the follicle
Also, the lack of massage stimulation could also result in a less productive hair follicle

Thanks, I do think it is due to this - the rest of my hair that was above the extensions is still healthy and no problem.

My question is now, can I unblock clogged hair follicles? I am reading some horror stories online that it can kill them off and stop them from producing hair again which is filling me with fear!

Try a Serioxyl treatment by Loreal....and purchase the home care.....

Latest posts

Back