thin nail bed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I have read some posts on this, but still am not sure.

My nail beds are thin due to improper removal of acrylics. Plus practicing a lot in school.

Because the nail beds are thin, I do not know if product is not adhering because of thin nail bed or if it is my application. Or both.

Would applying gels be the best way to go????????

Thanks,
Idealsummerluv

PS. Plus I just graduated last week and feel terrible because how can I go looking for a salon job looking like this???????????

Idealsummerluv said:
Hello,

My nail beds are thin due to improper removal of acrylics. Plus practicing a lot in school.

Because the nail beds are thin, I do not know if product is not adhering because of thin nail bed or if it is my application. Or both.

Thanks,
Idealsummerluv

PS. Plus I just graduated last week and feel terrible because how can I go looking for a salon job looking like this???????????

Ok, firstly, don't panic!! I did the same thing last year, I was so busy practicing on myself I failed to notice my ever decreasing nail plate! the reason you will be getting lifting is you will be a little afraid of any pain so you end up not prepping properly, now as we all know prepping shouldn't hurt and usually doesn't but on very sensitive nail plates it can smart a little, hell even blowing on them can hurt! My advice would be to prep the best you can, remove any living tissue with your usual remover, then using a very soft file (Creative's is the Koala Buffer), take any shine off, then dehydrate twice, then prime and apply white french tips keeping them quite short and your usual overlay making sure you press firmly into the zones especially zone 3 (if using L&P of course!), if you are going to apply gel, make absolutely sure you get your prep right as you don't want to be filing any lifted gel off with sensitive nail plates. Hope this helps. J xx

Hey there,

The system used shouldnt matter, just keep a close eye on it and make sure you are avoiding anything that promotes nail plate thinning (ie nippers, abrasives, picking, etc..) anything that thins your nail plate will cause problems with product adhesion.

Hi,
I want to thank you guys for responding to my post.

Have a good one,

Idealsummerluv

Idealsummerluv said:
Hello,

Thanks,
Idealsummerluv

The nail geek has pointed it out, but just in case he was too subtle in his approach can I please urge everyone to use the correct terms when speaking to your clients or anyone else for that matter.

Your nail bed is not the same as your nail plate. The nail plate sits on the nail bed and you can't thin the nail bed but only the nail plate.

The poster is not the only one who gets this wrong. ;) I hear so many amateur technicians do it and it is one of those things that sends me wild because it tells me that even so called qualified technicians are uninformed as to even something as simple as this very basic terminology.

As a professionals or as budding professionals, we should all strive to get these simple things right.

Cuticle and eponychium and pterigium is another one!! Find out the difference! they are all different things.

Latest posts

Back