Thin nails after enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerrybnails

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I’ve just become a qualified nail tech and when we are in lockdown I’ve been doing gel polish on my mums natural nails. After doing prep and application correct they always chip and crack after a few days. Any suggestions as to why this might be? I use all glitterbels products and when I take the gel off my mums nails are very thin and brittle. Again anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to sort these? Thanks in advance ☺️

Do you buff before application?

Do you buff before application?
I take the shine off the natural nail with an e file as well as dehydrating and priming the nails. It seems to be at the free edge that the chipping happens after a few days 😩

Are we right? Gel polish, not hard gel overlays?

I take the shine off the natural nail with an e file as well as dehydrating and priming the nails. It seems to be at the free edge that the chipping happens after a few days 😩

I would never ever use an efile on natural nails, I suspect they feel thin because they are

I don’t have experience with this brand of gel polish. It sounds like you are using prep for acrylic or hard gel products. Gel polish does not need aggressive prep.

Please re-read your instructions and directions for your brand. And, please, put away the e-file for prep work.

Usually, no buffing, no removing the shine, no dehydration, no primer is called for. Just a clean nail plate, free of debris. Then a base, polish and top. Be sure to cap the free edge if your product calls for it.

Check out cnd nail prep & cnd 5 point method videos in YouTube.

As mentioned above no efilling. Good luck with the business

The e file is the problem. You can do most of the prepping with a buffer block but gently, now!!

prepping with a buffer block
Glitterbels is such a cute name, is it UK based?

I don’t know what other gel systems recommend but CND Shellac does not require or advise using any kind of buffing, whether board or block. Just a good scrub with cleaner/dehydrator ScrubFresh.

Somehow we got into feeling that more actually WAS more. The dryer the better, the less shine the better. I confess that I was a follower of that practice in my early years. And still, acrylic systems do call for more prep than I personally think is needed for good adhesion and durability.

I think that following the manufacturer’s directions is the best road to travel. Whatever they recommend has been found to give the proper results.

I would never ever use an efile on natural nails, I suspect they feel thin because they are
It’s difficult as some courses and brands advise on using a fine grit band or arbor band to take shine off the natural nails even for gel polish as they say it’s still classed as an enhancement. I’ll try change my prep and see how I get on.

I don’t have experience with this brand of gel polish. It sounds like you are using prep for acrylic or hard gel products. Gel polish does not need aggressive prep.

Please re-read your instructions and directions for your brand. And, please, put away the e-file for prep work.

Usually, no buffing, no removing the shine, no dehydration, no primer is called for. Just a clean nail plate, free of debris. Then a base, polish and top. Be sure to cap the free edge if your product calls for it.
Thank you for your reply and help! It’s difficult as some courses and brands advise on using a fine grit band or arbor band to take shine off the natural nails even for gel polish as they say it’s still classed as an enhancement. I’ll try change my prep and see how I get on.

The e file is the problem. You can do most of the prepping with a buffer block but gently, now!!
It’s difficult as some courses and brands advise on using a fine grit band or arbor band to take shine off the natural nails even for gel polish as they say it’s still classed as an enhancement. I’ll try change my prep and see how I get on.

Glitterbels is such a cute name, is it UK based?

I don’t know what other gel systems recommend but CND Shellac does not require or advise using any kind of buffing, whether board or block. Just a good scrub with cleaner/dehydrator ScrubFresh.

Somehow we got into feeling that more actually WAS more. The dryer the better, the less shine the better. I confess that I was a follower of that practice in my early years. And still, acrylic systems do call for more prep than I personally think is needed for good adhesion and durability.

I think that following the manufacturer’s directions is the best road to travel. Whatever they recommend has been found to give the proper results.
Thank you! Yes glitterbels is a uk brand and it’s super cute! I’ll definitely need to rethink my prep but still not sure why the gel polish is cracking and chipping even when I do cap the nails! Maybe just more practice is needed ☺️

still not sure why the gel polish is cracking and chipping

Cracking is because the nails are too thin, they are bending and flexing so the gel polish can't stay attached.

Chipping (I'm assuming free edge) is common newbie issue, usually too much product at the free edge, thinner more even coats. Look at the CND 5 point application technique, it will help

Last edited:
Cracking is because the nails are too thin, they are bending and flexing so the gel polish can't stay attached.

Chipping (I'm assuming free edge) is common newbie issue, usually too much product at the free edge, thinner more even costs. Look at the CND 5 point application technique, it will help
Thank you so much for your help! Really appreciate it ☺️

Latest posts

Back