Thin nails folding on themselves during soak off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremeegg92

Reaction score
Hi, I have a client where her nails are very thin. They haven’t separated but they are extremely thin to the point I could definitely not even use a 180 file on them. I use a buffer when doing gels on her and they do always last fine etc, but when she comes for the soak off it’s awful. I put her in the foils and the nails literally fold on themselves like clingfilm or something? I haven’t got pictures but it looks like they’re collapsing, I dread taking gel off her. Once they’re not wet anymore they straighten out again but this happens every time I do a soak off on her and always panics me. Is this a known thing/is there anything I can do for her?

I would suggest never using anything more abrasive than a 180 on the nail. Doing so quickly removes to top few, denser layers of the nail which gives strength and support to the nail.

Are her nails naturally this thin? I would strongly encourage a thin, hard gel overlay to protect the natural nail while it grows out.

Hope this helps!

I would suggest never using anything more abrasive than a 180 on the nail. Doing so quickly removes to top few, denser layers of the nail which gives strength and support to the nail.

Are her nails naturally this thin? I would strongly encourage a thin, hard gel overlay to protect the natural nail while it grows out.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, I’ve been using just a buffer very gently to take the shine off and never a 180 file itself for that reason, fortunately she has no issues with them lasting etc. It’s just the acetone seems to make them very very soft. She says they’ve always been like this but I’m not sure, the person she used to go to for gel used an e file so maybe damaged the natural nail a bit if not experienced? I suggested an overlay but she didn’t want it :(

The nails are absorbing the acetone and becoming very flexible. Much like a sponge gets floppy when drenched, then hard when it dries out.

The overlay should be done with hard gel to protect the natural nail, it won’t affect her gel polish services.

Good luck!

The nails are absorbing the acetone and becoming very flexible. Much like a sponge gets floppy when drenched, then hard when it dries out.

The overlay should be done with hard gel to protect the natural nail, it won’t affect her gel polish services.

Good luck!

That makes sense, thank you! Is it doing more damage in the process? How much would you charge for the overlay? She doesn’t want to pay more, my prices are low at the mo as I only got certified a few months ago and haven’t raised them yet so she isn’t keen to pay more for the overlay :/

I would t say it is doing wonders for the nail, but I would t go as far as saying it’s making things worse.

It’s tough to say for sure what you should charge for the overlay, however my approach would be: my customer is paying me NOT to put a colour on their nails, it to protect and nurture them. A VERY thin hard gel overlay will help protect, so that is what I would do. I would also charge her for it, but a nominal amount. Remember that YOU are the professional.

You need to get her natural nails growing out with no damage to restore them back to optimal condition (though that may be limited on how thin her nails are anyway).

Have faith and confidence in yourself. Especially with what you charge. After all, you’re giving up your free time this very minute just to learn more about how to help her. :)

I have a client with papery thin nails and as I use the full IBX system including IBX Boost , it has been the best thing ever.
Previous enhancements and rough removal at another salon buffed the nails down to a very sensitive delicate structure.
No colour was applied to the nails...just IBX and Boost and I am pleased to say her nails have recovered. They will always be soft and thin, but they will never be damaged ever again , if I continue my caring approach.

Nail oil is crucial to get the blood to supply the nail matrix with essential nutrients and obviously conditions the nail plate.
She has had colour gel over the ibx for christmas , and my removal will be gentle with Ibx going back on after colour is removed.

I charge £20 for an Ibx repair and strenghten manicure...no colour. With boost overlay it's £5 added on ( boost can be infilled by the way if you don't want to soak off)
Hope that helps

I have a client with papery thin nails and as I use the full IBX system including IBX Boost , it has been the best thing ever.
Previous enhancements and rough removal at another salon buffed the nails down to a very sensitive delicate structure.
No colour was applied to the nails...just IBX and Boost and I am pleased to say her nails have recovered. They will always be soft and thin, but they will never be damaged ever again , if I continue my caring approach.

Nail oil is crucial to get the blood to supply the nail matrix with essential nutrients and obviously conditions the nail plate.
She has had colour gel over the ibx for christmas , and my removal will be gentle with Ibx going back on after colour is removed.

I charge £20 for an Ibx repair and strenghten manicure...no colour. With boost overlay it's £5 added on ( boost can be infilled by the way if you don't want to soak off)
Hope that helps

Hiya RosieR , I'm jumping on this thread a bit but I hope you don't mind!
I've just ordered the IBX Boost base coat & gel as it sounds a useful product to have for a few clients. (I've been using the IBX repair for a few years now). I just have a couple of questions which I haven't been able to clarify by searching the internet:

1. Removal - once you have removed any colour product that is on top how do you remove the Boost gel? Is it file down & then soak off whats left or can you just soak straight away? What would the timings be? (internet seems to tell me both methods!!)
  2. Can I apply normal polish over the top of Boost gel or does it have to be a gel polish?
Thank you! :)

Hi CFBS
Your best removal is file down and then acetone soak. Timings are around 12-15 mins...but by the time you have done nail number 10 filed and wrapped it's ready to remove. It flakes off quite easily.
However for a different method you can do a rebalance if you prefer, or if the boost is cemented on and time doesn't allow for full removal ( I personally don't do a re-balance)
Yes normal polish can be applied after the sticky layer is wiped off.
The boost applies like a hard gel, and I like to tip the nail upside down when it's applied to give it a neater apex, just before curing. I do 4 fingers first and then thumb cure separately . 1 minute in my 405nm lamp as per my training .
I hope that makes sense.

Hi CFBS
Your best removal is file down and then acetone soak. Timings are around 12-15 mins...but by the time you have done nail number 10 filed and wrapped it's ready to remove. It flakes off quite easily.
However for a different method you can do a rebalance if you prefer, or if the boost is cemented on and time doesn't allow for full removal ( I personally don't do a re-balance)
Yes normal polish can be applied after the sticky layer is wiped off.
The boost applies like a hard gel, and I like to tip the nail upside down when it's applied to give it a neater apex, just before curing. I do 4 fingers first and then thumb cure separately . 1 minute in my 405nm lamp as per my training .
I hope that makes sense.
That's great advice and thanks for the prompt reply.
Hope you're surviving this awful weather up where you are! :eek:

Hi there CFBS,

Yes it's been a total whiteout, but only lost one appointment as there was a quick thaw...but we are due another load tonight!

Back to the topic....I forgot to add that like you I have a few clients needing the treatment, so make sure it's worth the investment. The good news is that its a 3 year opened shelf life . So got the thumbs up from me!
Hope your weather is better than here! x

Latest posts

Back