Think I'm allergic to hair dye-what can I do now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouLola91

Reaction score
Hey,

I trained as a hairdresser (fully qualified) 4-5 years ago but didn't end up pursuing it as a career.
I've been dying my hair for a good 10-12 years with box dyes, pro tints and bleach with zero issues. I'm currently blonde (bleached) all over and naturally ginger.

Weirdly enough I got a box dye few weeks ago, a loreal blonde one which was named this
L'oreal Paris Prf Hair Dye 11.11 Ultra Light Crystal Blonde

I put it on all over and after 3 minutes my head was burning so badly i quickly washed it off and upto a week after my scalp felt somewhat sore and had red patches on my scalp and my skin as a whole felt kinda itchy.

Now I am terrified incase that was an allergic reaction and wondering what to do now. I have really bad roots.

I wondered if it's 100% safe for me to foil in bleach and keeping it away from my roots or could this make me react too or if there are any other options available?
I am able to foil bleach myself or use professional tints
Thank you

I wondered if it's 100% safe for me to foil in bleach and keeping it away from my roots or could this make me react too or if there are any other options available?
Thank you

You cannot guarantee that any product will be 100% safe on every client. That’s why we do skin tests and in the case of bleach, check for any sensitivity during processing.

It does sound like an allergic reaction so definitely skin test before using any other colouring products. If you have any reaction, remove the product immediately.

Hey,

I trained as a hairdresser (fully qualified) 4-5 years ago but didn't end up pursuing it as a career.
I've been dying my hair for a good 10-12 years with box dyes, pro tints and bleach with zero issues. I'm currently blonde (bleached) all over and naturally ginger.

Weirdly enough I got a box dye few weeks ago, a loreal blonde one which was named this
L'oreal Paris Prf Hair Dye 11.11 Ultra Light Crystal Blonde

I put it on all over and after 3 minutes my head was burning so badly i quickly washed it off and upto a week after my scalp felt somewhat sore and had red patches on my scalp and my skin as a whole felt kinda itchy.

Now I am terrified incase that was an allergic reaction and wondering what to do now. I have really bad roots.

Thank you
I should imagine this was like a high lift in a box dye, so probably had a lot of ammonia and high strength peroxide, so it would probably cause sensitivity anyway. As mentioned above I'd definitely do a patch test prior to any other colour applications professional or box. It's very rare to have a reaction to bleach as there's nothing in it to cause an allergic reaction. But I'd be careful. If you want to use tint I'd maybe try koleston perfect innosense it's designed for people who are sensitive to colours.hioe this helps.

If OP is still here then go and have allergy testing done for gods sake, don't risk foiling! Yes it may be irritation from using a highlify colour, but it is not worth risking, and not to correct to above poster but you can react to the persulfates in bleach too.

If OP is still here then go and have allergy testing done for gods sake, don't risk foiling! Yes it may be irritation from using a highlify colour, but it is not worth risking, and not to correct to above poster but you can react to the persulfates in bleach too.
Hmm that's interesting.
I had a client react after a bleach application, I phoned wella advisory and the lady said that it wasn't possible for her to react to the bleach because there's nothing to react to? So I assumed that was correct coming from wella themselves? Thank you for that information, may come in handy in the future :)

I was always told you don't patch test bleach?

Ronray when your client reacted to bleach was it on the scalp or foils? In what way did she react

I was always told you don't patch test bleach?

Ronray when your client reacted to bleach was it on the scalp or foils? In what way did she react
It was a scalp application of blondor and 6% mixed 1:2, she had a red rash around hair line and neck. Her neck and around her ears was swollen and the skin started weaping even though there was no open sores.

Last edited:
Clients can be allergic to hydrogen peroxide, it's rarer than PPD but it's not impossible.

If you've had a reaction wait a good few weeks, and skin test.

A lady a few years back had a reaction to home hair dye, coloured her hair again 6 months later and died!

Don't end up like her! Make sure you test every colour product you use in the future every single time x

my friend and ex client was allergic to tint so i used to slice every bit of hair as she was grey, and foil it. she would still occasionally get a sore on her forehead or ears purely from the tint being so close to her scalp! i hated doing it. we then found innosense which was much better. her next hairdresser tried it on her scalp and she has been fine since and able to have a full head tint. she takes antihistimines for 2 days before and after a colour which helps. im not sure id have tried it though!

Latest posts

Back