Thinking about switching colour lines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LillyGoose

Reaction score
I am currently using l'Oreal but have seen everyone raving about Matrix colour!

Is it really that good? Or any suggestions welcome :)

Yes!! I love it!! What you looking for? With colour sync you can colour blonde to brunette in 1 step no need to pre pig ;)

It's really basic, what you see is what you get.
Virtually all the shades you get in permanent you can get in quasi.
Which I've really struggled with when switching to L'Oreal... Unless using natural bases it's hard to get an exact match if using permanent on roots and semi on ends to match.
There reds are to dye for, highlift reds. Different shades too.
Both colour sync and so colour have boosters/additives to add to your mix, I don't know any other range that does this with there semis?
The range for grey hair is fantastic too, although you have to choose a shade lighter as can come up quite dark. All pre blended too!
Matrix v-light bleach... Best bleach ever, smells good, looks good (purple) doesn't really swell, or dry out... It was demonstrated that it can last 5 hours and still be working at its best.
Colour graphics, lighter with about 6 different tone pigments to add in, so a one step process for clients who have got coloured hair but want to go lighter with different tones.
There education is really good too. Well in Australia is is when I worked there, it's huge.
I also find matrix has the best strongest ash tones.
Ohhhh and there SO SILVER shampoo... Mmmm the BEST toning shampoo ever!

Hmmmm why am I still using L'Oreal!!
:-(

I'm sure if I've missed anything out blue will help me lol.

xox

It's really basic, what you see is what you get.
Virtually all the shades you get in permanent you can get in quasi.
Which I've really struggled with when switching to L'Oreal... Unless using natural bases it's hard to get an exact match if using permanent on roots and semi on ends to match.
There reds are to dye for, highlift reds. Different shades too.
Both colour sync and so colour have boosters/additives to add to your mix, I don't know any other range that does this with there semis?
The range for grey hair is fantastic too, although you have to choose a shade lighter as can come up quite dark. All pre blended too!
Matrix v-light bleach... Best bleach ever, smells good, looks good (purple) doesn't really swell, or dry out... It was demonstrated that it can last 5 hours and still be working at its best.
Colour graphics, lighter with about 6 different tone pigments to add in, so a one step process for clients who have got coloured hair but want to go lighter with different tones.
There education is really good too. Well in Australia is is when I worked there, it's huge.
I also find matrix has the best strongest ash tones.
Ohhhh and there SO SILVER shampoo... Mmmm the BEST toning shampoo ever!

Hmmmm why am I still using L'Oreal!!
:-(

I'm sure if I've missed anything out blue will help me lol.

xox

You have just sold matrix colour line to me! .. I am making the switch from l'oreal too..
Thank you for the detailed post :) x

I think when you have a raving fan like Blue you'd be safe in the knowledge that if you ever needed advice using Matrix you would get it.

I'm an ex-Matrix user but still have a fondness for the line. For us, the decision to move away from Matrix was purely financial. We make more money using L'Oreal than we ever did with Matrix. If you have a salon frontage and an interior to fit out, brand recognition can be important for your new clients and passers by. That's why the L'Oreal logo works for us and brings in more money than the Matrix logo ever did.

If you're mobile though, or perhaps self employed renting a chair, and relying mostly on word of mouth just for yourself, then I guess the brand of hair colour you use is not as important as you don't have a salon frontage etc. to worry about. Also, if you're only buying a few tubes each time you shop (40-50 tubes or less) then I guess Matrix might work out a bit cheaper for you cost wise. This is because it doesn't seem to matter how many tubes of Matrix you purchase, the price remains the same, whereas L'Oreal tend to give discount - the more you buy the more you save.

This gets even stranger when you consider that Matrix is owned and made by L'Oreal LOL. But that's a PLUS if you're looking for a cheaper colourline as you know it's still gone through all of the rigorous testing that L'oreal do with all of their brands so quality won't be an issue.

Comparing Cost

It's hard to compare costs here as there are rules about that, but what I can do is give you examples of cost per 30mls of mixed colour.

Matrix comes in a 90ml tube and is mixed 1:1. 30mls of mixed colour (minus developer) would cost you around £xxx For any consumers reading this, that's about enough colour to do one highlight, so don't get all excited! LOL.

L'Oreal comes in a 50ml tube and is mixed 1:1.5. If you are buying in quantities of less than 40-50 tubes, it would work out around £xxx (vs £xxx in Matrix). When you're purchasing in larger quantities though, the cost works out at £xxx due to the savings offered on X tube deals. This is just 7p more than Matrix but you get all the L'Oreal branded stuff for your salon as well as their imagery and education etc. which it a bit more edgy and on trend than Matrix (which is aimed at smaller salons and mobile hairdressers). It all depends on your market.

Numbering System

Matrix uses letters rather than numbers for it's colours. So, for example, 10A would be a Base 10 colour with Ash. C = copper, V= Violet etc. This can be very easy for new juniors to learn. They do have some other tones such as Mocha (represented by the letter M) which aren't quite so easy to decipher (actually sits in the red tones on a colour wheel).

With a numbering system, the advantage is that you know exactly which tones sit inside a tube of colour, even if it is newly launched or never used before. If L'Oreal launch a 6.41 I know what's in it and can formulate with confidence. When Matrix produced their new "Mocha" tones, it took 6 weeks for the rep to get back to me and explain exactly where Mocha sat on a colour wheel.

If you visualise colour by tones and work from an imaginary colour wheel when you formulate, you will probably find numbers easier.

If you like to use the shade chart and visually explore colour with your eyes before deciding on a colour, the lettering system can be beneficial (e.g. 6BR means go to the shade chart and look at the section labeled "Brown Reds").

Reds

I personally never got on with Matrix Reds. Even their RR (red red range) is slightly coppery when compared to the likes of 6.66 or 6.60 in Majirel. You might want to check them out before committing to the entire line.

Neutralising shades

They have some fantastic technology when it comes to neutralising unwanted pigment. So long as you are going no more than 2 shades lighter, you don't have to worry about underlying pigment. The corrective tone is already in the colour.

For example, 5N contains a considerable amount of blue. The colour is "expecting" to be placed onto a natural level 5 and is ready and waiting for that copper undercoat. You can safely apply 5N and not think about it.

In other lines, you would probably have to apply 5.1 to achieve a 5.0 result.

Move up to 9N and you find it contains lots of violet, ready for counteracting the yellow underlying pigment at level 9. Whereas in other lines you would probably opt for a 9.2 to achieve a 9.0 result.

This is great as it really is almost like the colour is doing the thinking for you, but you really need to consider this "hidden tone" when doing colour corrections (especially blonde to brown) as it can produce some unexpected results if you're not careful.

But Matrix have thought of that one, and have produced some shades that you can safely use (even without pre-pigmenting) in both So.Colour (permanent) and Color.Sync (quasi) for colour correction.

These are great if you don't mind every single colour correction looking the same result. Personally, I felt it limited my creativity and personalisation of my colour results to use them, but they are handy when the client is time or cash poor.

Grey Coverage

Again, the colour does all the hard work so you don't have to. You simply show the client the Dream.Age shade chart and apply any colour she selects. No need to mix with any base tones or gold tones. Just mix and apply. 40 minutes later her grey is gone. Simples.

High Lifts

2 strengths available here - 11.X (for natural levels 7 and above) and UL (for natural levels 5-6). UL is mixed 1:2. Personally, I wouldn't use it on a natural level 5 (not if they are expecting the shade chart result) but I wouldn't do that with any colour line. The highlifts are good and reliable. ULN doesn't beat 900S in MajiBlonde though, nor 12.0 in Wella for lightening power. Does anything? Not sure! LOL

A bit of magic

Matrix has one final trick up it's sleeve. ColorGraphics.

A powder bleach lightener that tones as it lightens! You add either green, blue, yellow, red, copper, violet or mocha tone to the special bleach and then mix it with either 8, 15 or 22 vols developer and apply as a highlight.

You get really nice results for not a lot of effort. Unsure of which pigment to use? They have a shade chart showing the results of every pigment on every base with every developer. You can't go wrong.

Conclusion

So there you go. I hope you found it helpful. I feel I have given the pluses and the minuses for using Matrix from someone who stocked the entire range. If you've any more questions I could have a go at answering, but Blue is probably better on the technical side of things (if I haven't upset them too much by saying that there are some potential downsides with Matrix :eek: ).

Good luck! :)

[detailed costings removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Classixuk.. That was an amazing explanation, thank you very much for taking the time to type that out and share it. I found it most helpful. I even checked your profile to see if you were a matrix rep trying to sell!!
Thanks again. X

I think when you have a raving fan like Blue you'd be safe in the knowledge that if you ever needed advice using Matrix you would get it.

I'm an ex-Matrix user but still have a fondness for the line. For us, the decision to move away from Matrix was purely financial. We make more money using L'Oreal than we ever did with Matrix. If you have a salon frontage and an interior to fit out, brand recognition can be important for your new clients and passers by. That's why the L'Oreal logo works for us and brings in more money than the Matrix logo ever did.

If you're mobile though, or perhaps self employed renting a chair, and relying mostly on word of mouth just for yourself, then I guess the brand of hair colour you use is not as important as you don't have a salon frontage etc. to worry about. Also, if you're only buying a few tubes each time you shop (40-50 tubes or less) then I guess Matrix might work out a bit cheaper for you cost wise. This is because it doesn't seem to matter how many tubes of Matrix you purchase, the price remains the same, whereas L'Oreal tend to give discount - the more you buy the more you save.

This gets even stranger when you consider that Matrix is owned and made by L'Oreal LOL. But that's a PLUS if you're looking for a cheaper colourline as you know it's still gone through all of the rigorous testing that L'oreal do with all of their brands so quality won't be an issue.

Comparing Cost

It's hard to compare costs here as there are rules about that, but what I can do is give you examples of cost per 30mls of mixed colour.

Matrix comes in a 90ml tube and is mixed 1:1. 30mls of mixed colour (minus developer) would cost you around £1.09. For any consumers reading this, that's about enough colour to do one highlight, so don't get all excited! LOL.

L'Oreal comes in a 50ml tube and is mixed 1:1.5. If you are buying in quantities of less than 40-50 tubes, it would work out around £1.66 (vs £1.09 in Matrix). When you're purchasing in larger quantities though, the cost works out at £1.16 due to the savings offered on X tube deals. This is just 7p more than Matrix but you get all the L'Oreal branded stuff for your salon as well as their imagery and education etc. which it a bit more edgy and on trend than Matrix (which is aimed at smaller salons and mobile hairdressers). It all depends on your market.

Numbering System

Matrix uses letters rather than numbers for it's colours. So, for example, 10A would be a Base 10 colour with Ash. C = copper, V= Violet etc. This can be very easy for new juniors to learn. They do have some other tones such as Mocha (represented by the letter M) which aren't quite so easy to decipher (actually sits in the red tones on a colour wheel).

With a numbering system, the advantage is that you know exactly which tones sit inside a tube of colour, even if it is newly launched or never used before. If L'Oreal launch a 6.41 I know what's in it and can formulate with confidence. When Matrix produced their new "Mocha" tones, it took 6 weeks for the rep to get back to me and explain exactly where Mocha sat on a colour wheel.

If you visualise colour by tones and work from an imaginary colour wheel when you formulate, you will probably find numbers easier.

If you like to use the shade chart and visually explore colour with your eyes before deciding on a colour, the lettering system can be beneficial (e.g. 6BR means go to the shade chart and look at the section labeled "Brown Reds").

Reds

I personally never got on with Matrix Reds. Even their RR (red red range) is slightly coppery when compared to the likes of 6.66 or 6.60 in Majirel. You might want to check them out before committing to the entire line.

Neutralising shades

They have some fantastic technology when it comes to neutralising unwanted pigment. So long as you are going no more than 2 shades lighter, you don't have to worry about underlying pigment. The corrective tone is already in the colour.

For example, 5N contains a considerable amount of blue. The colour is "expecting" to be placed onto a natural level 5 and is ready and waiting for that copper undercoat. You can safely apply 5N and not think about it.

In other lines, you would probably have to apply 5.1 to achieve a 5.0 result.

Move up to 9N and you find it contains lots of violet, ready for counteracting the yellow underlying pigment at level 9. Whereas in other lines you would probably opt for a 9.2 to achieve a 9.0 result.

This is great as it really is almost like the colour is doing the thinking for you, but you really need to consider this "hidden tone" when doing colour corrections (especially blonde to brown) as it can produce some unexpected results if you're not careful.

But Matrix have thought of that one, and have produced some shades that you can safely use (even without pre-pigmenting) in both So.Colour (permanent) and Color.Sync (quasi) for colour correction.

These are great if you don't mind every single colour correction looking the same result. Personally, I felt it limited my creativity and personalisation of my colour results to use them, but they are handy when the client is time or cash poor.

Grey Coverage

Again, the colour does all the hard work so you don't have to. You simply show the client the Dream.Age shade chart and apply any colour she selects. No need to mix with any base tones or gold tones. Just mix and apply. 40 minutes later her grey is gone. Simples.

High Lifts

2 strengths available here - 11.X (for natural levels 7 and above) and UL (for natural levels 5-6). UL is mixed 1:2. Personally, I wouldn't use it on a natural level 5 (not if they are expecting the shade chart result) but I wouldn't do that with any colour line. The highlifts are good and reliable. ULN doesn't beat 900S in MajiBlonde though, nor 12.0 in Wella for lightening power. Does anything? Not sure! LOL

A bit of magic

Matrix has one final trick up it's sleeve. ColorGraphics.

A powder bleach lightener that tones as it lightens! You add either green, blue, yellow, red, copper, violet or mocha tone to the special bleach and then mix it with either 8, 15 or 22 vols developer and apply as a highlight.

You get really nice results for not a lot of effort. Unsure of which pigment to use? They have a shade chart showing the results of every pigment on every base with every developer. You can't go wrong.

Conclusion

So there you go. I hope you found it helpful. I feel I have given the pluses and the minuses for using Matrix from someone who stocked the entire range. If you've any more questions I could have a go at answering, but Blue is probably better on the technical side of things (if I haven't upset them too much by saying that there are some potential downsides with Matrix :o ).

Good luck! :)

I always pay 20% cheaper than the original cost cause I buy enough to make it worth while x

Do you know where I can get the matrix colour shade charts from and also matrix advertising media i.e posters etc.. X

Aww perfect! Think I'm sold on it! :) thanks guys!

Perfect thread. Thankyou! My thoughts exactly.
Been devoted to L'oreal. Have had enough now. Who wants to get rid of Majirel for Inoa??! Def not me. Complicated, expensive and terrible reviews :sad:

Aston and Fincher stock Matrix here!! Yippeee. Bring on the new colours. Blue your advice may be greatly appreciated, we're all gonna be driving you nuts! :D

Perfect thread. Thankyou! My thoughts exactly.
Been devoted to L'oreal. Have had enough now. Who wants to get rid of Majirel for Inoa??! Def not me. Complicated, expensive and terrible reviews :sad:

Aston and Fincher stock Matrix here!! Yippeee. Bring on the new colours. Blue your advice may be greatly appreciated, we're all gonna be driving you nuts! :D

That's fine!!! I love it! Good having a challenge x

Do you know where I can get the matrix colour shade charts from and also matrix advertising media i.e posters etc.. X

Yep if you get a starter kit which is £xx you get colour trolley, 12 pre selected shades, shade chart, 1 each peroxide :)

[pricing removed]

Yep if you get a starter kit which is £99 you get colour trolley, 12 pre selected shades, shade chart, 1 each peroxide :)

Ooo sounds fab, thank you :) except I bought a blimin new colour trolley just yesterday! Looks like that will be going on eBay! .. Where can I buy this from please?

I always pay 20% cheaper than the original cost cause I buy enough to make it worth while x

Interesting Blue.

The distributor in the North-West doesn't do discounts on Matrix for multiple purchases, otherwise it might have been worthwhile sticking with some of the range. They do a VAT free day every couple of months, but nothing like 20% off. Just to be clear, are you saying you get Matrix at around £xxx?

:wow:

[pricing removed]

Don't forget club matrix points as well ;) x

Blimey, I only read this out of interest but now I think I'm going to look at matrix !

hi i am about to start doing hair from the home and i have always used matrix in the salon but not sure where is best to buy it for myself in bulk , im looking for advise on where to get a stater kit as i nead a lot to start and a colore chart , or where is best to buy on a regular basis i live in scotland thanks in advance

I've never used l'Oreal but we use Matrix in our salon, and my opinion on it is fifty fifty. It's really easy to formulate with if you have what you need, and my results come out great all the time. The red's can be a pain in the ass, and everything pulls a little on the gold side. The Color sync isn't the best when used for toning, it has to sit on the hair for a while to really work whereas other toners i've used work super fast. Color sync is way better for reds though, they're more vibrant whereas the SoColor is more muddy and dull (which is where boosters come in handy). V-light is amazing, I love it, you can get very blonde with low level developer, and it doesn't expand as much as other bleaches. We have 3 different bleaches in my shop, V-light, color graphics, and light master. V-light is always my go to, light master expands VERY FAST and when it does it gets more difficult to spread in a foil(and sometimes seems to pull more gold for me). Color graphics is a middle between those, and the toners with it are hit or miss because it seems to almost dilute the strength of the bleach when other stylists use it.

Either way, it's really easy to formulate, as most color lines are. So long as you know you're color theory and the product you'll be fine. We used to have wella at my shop, so a lot of the senior stylists who have been there for years absolutely hate the color line and complain about it all the time. I've used a lot of different lines, and don't have a specific preference as Matrix is the only one i've had a lot of experience with, but there are definitely better lines out there. If you're used to having really rich colors I would be careful with trying matrix.

Guys and girls it clearly states not to post trade prices.

This thread is 4 yrs old and so any trade prices quoted will be well out of date now anyway. :)

Latest posts

Back