Thinking about the future...will I be giving up a good opportunity?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
I'm not sure where this thread will take me, but I'm going to throw my dilemma out there, in the hope it will help me make a decision either way.

I am in a profession that pays the bills three days a week. I love my job, but felt compelled to rekindle my love for nails and opened a nail room inside my house around six months ago.

My dilemma is we are looking to move house, but at the bottom of my garden is a building we own. It had always been used commercially for people running their own business, until we got the house and changed it back to residential use.

It is perfect to use as a salon, but right now it is being used to store all our stuff, so would need gutting and a lot of money spent on it to bring it up to spec. It is a concrete building, single storey, with a slate roof, door and window pavement side (which is why it has always been a business etc).

I really don't know what to do. It's always been in the back of my mind that it would be perfect to progress to, but now we are seriously looking at moving it's made me think about this in a whole new way.

If we stayed here and I spent loads of money getting it refurbished, am I giving myself a whole new headache using this building rather than my room? I know I would have to apply to change it back to commercial use and that is just the beginning! I know I would have bills such as council tax, electricity, water, phone line etc.

A big consideration is that I'm sure customers or passers by would expect it to be open all the time and I would need to keep my job in order for some financial security and to pay for it! Maybe I could rent a table out, so someone else is there all the time?

I'm not sure anyone can help, but has anyone had a similar situation?

Latest posts

Back