Thinking of converting from Shellac to Gelish - questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's such a faff and time waster to have to file down the gel before you wrap to remove it, shellac is sooooo much easier

You don't have to.
It actually removes faster if you don't file before wrapping

I've used Gellux in the past same procedure as Gelish and it did not last any longer than Shellac does now. If you like the idea of buffing the nail before its soaked then go for it but personally I don't think this is any good for the nails!!
Good luck!!

Can I just add the fact that u can also use heated mitts to reduce the soak off time by half, it does work. Xxxx

Hi! thanks for all your comments, opinions and advice etc! I bought a couple of bottles of Gelish today and had a little play on my own nails to see what I think! So far, so good, like the application, colours, colour pay off ect so we shall just have to wait and see! It's only been a day after all x

Going back quickly about the damage caused by using Shellac, quite a few of my clients, who use Shellac continuously, have dry white marks on their nails that werent there before they started having Shellac done. I know its been attributed to causing damage when removing the Shellac but I have taken extra care with this and removed the Shellac with an orange stick but I find this leaves behind a residue and I have to go over the nail with a cuticle pusher to remove this residue then. I am now adding a little drop of solar oil to the nail before wrapping in acetone but the white at the moment, is still visible and looks awful. Sometimes however if a nail has come off before their next visit, the white has totally disappeared from that nail! Any help would be greatly appreciated as I too am debating going to Gellish to see if that alleviates the problem xx

Going back quickly about the damage caused by using Shellac, quite a few of my clients, who use Shellac continuously, have dry white marks on their nails that werent there before they started having Shellac done. I know its been attributed to causing damage when removing the Shellac but I have taken extra care with this and removed the Shellac with an orange stick but I find this leaves behind a residue and I have to go over the nail with a cuticle pusher to remove this residue then. I am now adding a little drop of solar oil to the nail before wrapping in acetone but the white at the moment, is still visible and looks awful. Sometimes however if a nail has come off before their next visit, the white has totally disappeared from that nail! Any help would be greatly appreciated as I too am debating going to Gellish to see if that alleviates the problem xx

If the white marks have gone a day after removal then I doubt it's damage. Sounds like the White is caused by the acetone, the oil helps with the whiteness for me. Have you tried nourishing remover instead of acetone? Acetone works better for me but the oil takes away the scary dry nails. The dryness is only temporary so I would t worry about it too much x

Felicity xx

i have one client that this happened to but then realised she has been on holiday and apparently chlorine and suntan lotion can cause it . Maybe a cleaning product or something similar has reacted to it ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

There is a product called Gelish here in Australia which is sold in kit form in retail outlets. Just wondering if it is the same gelish you are taliking of in this thread?

Im deciding on a gel polish range to get started with - Gelish sounds great on here but wanting to use salon only products.

Anyone know if its the same product? Is it available as a retail product where you are?

If the white marks have gone a day after removal then I doubt it's damage. Sounds like the White is caused by the acetone, the oil helps with the whiteness for me. Have you tried nourishing remover instead of acetone? Acetone works better for me but the oil takes away the scary dry nails. The dryness is only temporary so I would t worry about it too much x

Felicity xx

When I switched to CND Nourishing Remover, the delaminating, white spots, dryness, brittle nails completely disappeared on most of my clients. I still have a bit of delaminating on myself but I redo my nails with Shellac every 2 weeks without fail. I'm waiting for my IBX order to arrive!
I have clients that come to me with Gel polish from another salon and I have such a hard time removing. Even though they have asked for Shellac, I know they were provided with Gel because it does not soak off without filing the top layer. The CND Nourishing Remover does nothing without filing and I will not go back to straight acetone.
I prefer Shellac by far. No damage before application and soaks off easily. They may not have the selection of colours that Gel does but be creative, use glitter, decals, additives, layer and even mix the colours.
Let us know how your Gel experiment works out!

There is a product called Gelish here in Australia which is sold in kit form in retail outlets. Just wondering if it is the same gelish you are taliking of in this thread?

Im deciding on a gel polish range to get started with - Gelish sounds great on here but wanting to use salon only products.

Anyone know if its the same product? Is it available as a retail product where you are?

No it isn't for retail here. It's pro only. x

Thanks very much for the replies. I am still going to use Shellac and will try the nourishing remover instead of acetone and see how it goes. Has anyone tried IBD Just Gels? I'm going back to IBD for builder gels etc and wondered if anyone had tried their version of gel polish?

So I decided to start buying a few Gelish colours and experimenting with them on myself and willing friends and I must say I prefer it soooo much! It seems to last longer (In my opinion!!!) and my own nails feel better, I'll continue practising and see how I go but I'm very impressed so far! Thanks for ALL your advice and everything geeks and I know everyone had their own opinion on different systems but I seem to "gel" a lot better with Gelish, haha get it? (Well so far anyway) just taken it off after three weeks as one had come off, good going, I never got that long out of shellac.

Xx

Thanks

No it isn't for retail here. It's pro only. x

Unfortunately here it is available to Joe public in Sally so nothing pro only about it stateside either. Probably the same as Australia by the sounds of it.

Before switching systems why not try ibx on the clients that are having trouble? It's great under shellac and I really have found it to be a miracle worker on damaged and weak nails

I'm new to this 'ibx' discovery! How do you apply it under shellac out of interest? I'm very pro natural, if you can promote healthy anything while enhancing I'm all for it! :)

So I decided to start buying a few Gelish colours and experimenting with them on myself and willing friends and I must say I prefer it soooo much! It seems to last longer (In my opinion!!!) and my own nails feel better, I'll continue practising and see how I go but I'm very impressed so far! Thanks for ALL your advice and everything geeks and I know everyone had their own opinion on different systems but I seem to "gel" a lot better with Gelish, haha get it? (Well so far anyway) just taken it off after three weeks as one had come off, good going, I never got that long out of shellac.

Xx

Thanks

Ah it's such a shame you didn't get on with shellac! Gelish I've found is quite expensive but does have a bigger colour range which is good but I keep stalling as I don't want the increase in price to eat into profit margin! But you have to go with what you get on with. Most of my clients get 3-4 weeks with shellac depending on growth amount and I use nourishing remover. Did your clients remove themselves? It's also tempting for a lot of clients to pick them off after a couple of weeks !

Here is a pic of what my clients nails generally look like after correct and gentle removal ..... ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1401316572.289499.jpg

I may try gelish one day but I think ill always love shellac, I just width there were more colours to choose from!

Ah it's such a shame you didn't get on with shellac! Gelish I've found is quite expensive but does have a bigger colour range which is good but I keep stalling as I don't want the increase in price to eat into profit margin! But you have to go with what you get on with. Most of my clients get 3-4 weeks with shellac depending on growth amount and I use nourishing remover. Did your clients remove themselves? It's also tempting for a lot of clients to pick them off after a couple of weeks !

Here is a pic of what my clients nails generally look like after correct and gentle removal ..... View attachment 66271

I may try gelish one day but I think ill always love shellac, I just width there were more colours to choose from!

Gelish isn't expensive, the bottles are twice the size of shellac so works out about the same x

Oh that's something I didn't actually know! I'll have to get a couple in and see which I prefer !

Loving the info in this thread 👍

Thinking of offering Gelish alongside Shellac but not sure where best to order it from, is direct from Harmony best or somewhere else?

Also what is ph bond? X

I now offer both but am finding that most (as in 99%) are preferring Gelish, I just have one or two who stick with the same shellac colour because I can't get a similar one in Gelish. I get mine from the wholesalers on vat free day xxx

Latest posts

Back