Thinking of getting gel nails...questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadeshda

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm not a nails professional, but I was thinking of getting gel nails and bumped on this forum. Since there are professionals here and I have a couple of questions, I thought this could be a good place to post them :)

As I said, I'm thinking of getting gel nails. In my country, there is a very popular nail salon which exists in pretty much every mall. A friend of mine got her gel nails done there and she said it stang and felt burning when she got her nails with gel under the UV light. I thought that was odd, but didn't say a thing because I don't know a thing about it. Reading on blogs, I came across a post from a nail technitian saying that putting your nails under the UV light is not supposed to sting or burn, but that it happens rather often on that nail salon because she spinning thing they use on your nails (sorry, I don't know how it's called) goes too fast, creating small burns on the nail that make the UV process painful. I was wondering if this is true or not. Also, I have no problem growing my fingernails, they are strong, but one or two have broken...is it possible to put tips only on those two nails (since placing tips makes it more expensive)?

I have another question. My boyfriend is a biter. He has tried to stop many times, even used those bitter polishes, but nothing worked. I suggested he tried this, but he is afraid it may look unnatural or that it's noticible he's had his nails done. Could someone please post a picture of how generally this ends up looking on men, so we could have an idea and he can decide if he's going through with it? Also, what would be better for him: acrylic, gel, or any other type of nails?

Thank you in advance for taking time to read this. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions! lol

Hi, welcome to geek land!!!!!!! I can answer some questions, by the sound of what you are saying, the shop use an e file, and are thinning the nail to much by what you say, hence if the nail plate is thin, or your friend may have already had thin and damaged nails, from picking stick on nails off, or some thing like that, so could be nothing to do with the shop???? then you could get heat spike! it can also be down to putting the product on to thick, or could be a bit of both??? but if there are signs of over filing I would say thin nails, e files are fine if in the right hands, with good training, gel nails are done under a uv lamp, and is a great product to work with and wear, I would say acrylic for your boyfriend as this is not as shiny as gel, so more natural for the male clients , imo!!!! I would offer the service of just 2 tips, and the rest nno no problems, so I would think most places will, but just ask!

:green: The sensation that your friend felt is called HEAT SPIKE .It dosen't hurt or cause any damage to your nail its just a sensation like pins and needles. A good technician should warn you of this before they start. To relieve the sensation just take your hand out of the uv lamp and press your fingers down on the nail desk for a few seconds then place your hand back in it should be gone. This is caused by using to much product but can't always be helped if stress area needs building up.
I think the spinning thing you refer to is the drill, this shouldn't be used on the natural nail plate only on the extension, also it should be constantly moved over the nail extension as if its held in the same place it causes friction burn. You should always tell your technician if it starts to get hot and they will move on and come back to it or they should keep asking YOU.
You can just put tips on your two broken nails and you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.
I know of men that bite their nails and tried this natural overlay and it worked..

That's what I meant, but I took the long route:lol: !!!! I could not remember the big word. I will make a note of that.

Latest posts

Back