thinking of going moblie, does it work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola67

Reaction score
Hi there, I currently work self employed (60/40 split) in a salon and for this time of year it is incredibly quite. Probably 2 clients booked in a day... maybe 3/4 on a Sat. I do this 3 days a week, then teach one day and go to college doing my teacher training another day. I also have 3 regular clients I do at home, usually in the evenings.
I'm earning pretty good money from the teaching and my home clients, but obviously not much from the salon.
I have been thinking recently of leaving the salon and just doing mobile clients and my teaching because I could potentially earn a lot more money, as I wouldn't be giving 40% over to the salon. My dilemma is will it work??:eek: I know this probably sounds a bit silly because everyone has been in the same boat.
Another problem I have is that I can't really do it from home, so would have to go to their houses. I don't have a room I can work from at home so I end up doing it in the dining room, on my ironing board. Which, in my opinion doesn't look very professional. It's ok with the clients I have at the moment as they are mates, so they're quite happy with the arrangement. But I think with new clients you need to look as professional as possible.....
I was wondering what you mobile techs think, pros & cons etc. and whether any of you only ever go to clients houses and don't work from home.
Any opinions would be much appreciated.
with thanks xx

Hi, i was in the same boat. I was in a salon paying rent every week and it wasnt really that busy so most of the money i made went towards paying the rent. I thought about going mobile as i also do makeup, but worried would clients put up with the smell of acrylic?, would the equipment be too much to take to clients at home? everything but i am now mobile for just 2 weeks and i am more booked up than i was at the salon and i dont have to pay any rent.

You will need to get a portable table and just be really organised with your equipment (as i was told on here), and plan out your timing, but i love it so mmuch more than being in a salon. Hope this helps.:)

I started mobile in September, i dont have my own table,just use their dining table or ironing board,i just say to them my portable table broke..ooh must get a new one...they always say i come well organised when i pull out my extension lead,and my own stool...so thats good enuff for me.Make sure you have a limit to how far your prepared to travel,ive been going out in peek hour to appointments on the other side of town n sitting in traffic for ages, just so i can get my name out there,but now im thinking should i ,f they become regulars am i going wanna do this all the time..no..speacilly when its minus 2,3 degrees in the eve,i have another job which is my main income,nails is just a bonus to me.
P.S:Im always getting moaned at , at the smell of the acrylic,most just laugh n say ooh im getting high on this stuff.!!!

Latest posts

Back