Thinking of going self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AimeeLauren89

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m just looking for a little advice as I’m unsure what to do and how to go about it. For about 13 years I’ve been an employed stylist. For all this time I’ve liked the safety net of being employed but the older and more skilled I am now and more responsibility (having a family, mortgage etc) I don’t feel like I earn enough to warrant the hard work i put in. I am thinking of possibly going self employed at the salon I’m in now, I’m very happy there, I’m just wondering how others do it. Do you just pay chair rent and sort everything out yourself or do you do a % split to use their product and if so would people mind telling me the split? I’m just trying to consider all options. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I’m just looking for a little advice as I’m unsure what to do and how to go about it. For about 13 years I’ve been an employed stylist. For all this time I’ve liked the safety net of being employed but the older and more skilled I am now and more responsibility (having a family, mortgage etc) I don’t feel like I earn enough to warrant the hard work i put in. I am thinking of going self employed possibly at the salon I’m in now, I’m very happy there, I’m just wondering how others do it. Do you just pay chair rent and sort everything out yourself or do you do a % split to use their product and if so would people mind telling me the split? I’m just trying to consider all options. Thank you :)
There's no way I'd agree to pay any more than that 40-45% for everything.
If you're hitting around 50% then you may as well go it solo! Good luck with whichever route you choose to take :)

There's no way I'd agree to pay any more than that 40-45% for everything.
If you're hitting around 50% then you may as well go it solo! Good luck with whichever route you choose to take :)
Thank you for your reply 😊

There are lots of previous threads discussing self employment. You might find it helpful to read through a few plus the HMRC guide to self employment check list.

Sometimes it can be tricky to move to self employment in the same salon, especially when you’ve worked there a long time. I strongly recommend making time to have a discussion away from the salon to clarify your new working boundaries with your former boss early on.

Think about how you will handle your monies. Ideally, set up your own card reader. Be aware that if you allow your payments to go through their till, for them to pay you later, they have to count all the takings and it could take them over the VAT threshold. That can lead to unnecessary issues for a small independent business like yours.

https://www.salongeek.com/search/740899/?q=Self+employed&o=relevance
https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/
Lots of luck for your new venture! 👍 :)

We used to do 50/50 split for our self employed hairdressers.
Your manager may not be willing to go that split if it’s all their clientele anyway so they would prob be more likely to give you 40/60 split.
I was mobile hairdressing at one point and it’s sometimes a good balance to do a couple of days in the salon with the rest of your diary mobile- depends on your clients. I loved the flexibility of being mobile when my kids were little and had the busiest days in the salon so worked really well.
Just remember that HMRC may not agree that you are self employed if the only thing that changes in your work is your self employed status. I.e you carry on working the same hours as the other staff there etc

Last edited:
There are lots of previous threads discussing self employment. You might find it helpful to read through a few plus the HMRC guide to self employment check list.

Sometimes it can be tricky to move to self employment in the same salon, especially when you’ve worked there a long time. I strongly recommend making time to have a discussion away from the salon to clarify your new working boundaries with your former boss early on.

Think about how you will handle your monies. Ideally, set up your own card reader. Be aware that if you allow your payments to go through their till, for them to pay you later, they have to count all the takings and it could take them over the VAT threshold. That can lead to unnecessary issues for a small independent business like yours.

https://www.salongeek.com/search/740899/?q=Self+employed&o=relevance
https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/
Lots of luck for your new venture! 👍 :)

We used to do 50/50 split for our self employed hairdressers.
Your manager may not be willing to go that split if it’s all their clientele anyway so they would prob be more likely to give you 40/60 split.
I was mobile hairdressing at one point and it’s sometimes a good balance to do a couple of days in the salon with the rest of your diary mobile- depends on your clients. I loved the flexibility of being mobile when my kids were little and had the busiest days in the salon so worked really well.
Just remember that HMRC may not agree that you are self employed if the only thing that changes in your work is your self employed status. I.e you carry on working the same hours as the other staff there etc

Latest posts

Back