Thinking of offering beauty rental

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailz73

Reaction score
Hi all..

have done alot of reading over the past few weeks.. ok months lol..

finally got into my salon and opening on 1st december...2014..

now.. my dilemma..

i am a nail professional and also a fully qualified beauty therapist.. i havent provided beauty services in quite a while so my excitement for having a beauty room is sky high...

thing is i love my nail services and built my independent business up over 5 years to now.. i love it .. i also wanted to provide some beauty services next year, but feel i need refreshers courses in some things, and i wanted to do more courses ie lash extensions, brows, and other things..

now i will have a empty beauty room when i open as i am concentrating on nail servies and building and marketing salon for the time being.. (cant do everything right)..

my dilemma..
i would love to give someone a chance and maybe rent said room on a daily base rent, but if i do this i may want to pursue some beauty treatments next year myself...

would it be wrong to advise potential self employed renter i may do this.. i dont want the room being used for 3 days a week and then sitting empty if i am able to do treatments myself next year..

the other end of dilemma is that i really do not to be in competition with nail services i offer to .. how do i get round this..eeek.. i have room for only i nail station.. in main area which will be mine..

sometimes i will not be able to be at salon all day ( i have school runs to do and obviously get kids tea ready for them and then start my evenings.. ) do i compromise and say they may take nail clients (off their own) when i am not working >???

obviously i will be writing up a agreement of terms.

sorry for essay but guidance from those who are renting out rooms to self employed therapists (not hair) would be greatly received.

many thanks

sarah x

I would personally rent it to someone that doesn't do beauty then there is no grey area. If you're really busy with nails anyway would you feasibly be able to offer beauty treatments as well.

You could look at something like remedial massage or you could let it as beauty but you do nails.

There is only one of you.

The other option is to have two of you covering nails and beauty between you and you actually employ someone.

Just some thoughts.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi all..

have done alot of reading over the past few weeks.. ok months lol..

finally got into my salon and opening on 1st december...2014..

now.. my dilemma..

i am a nail professional and also a fully qualified beauty therapist.. i havent provided beauty services in quite a while so my excitement for having a beauty room is sky high...

thing is i love my nail services and built my independent business up over 5 years to now.. i love it .. i also wanted to provide some beauty services next year, but feel i need refreshers courses in some things, and i wanted to do more courses ie lash extensions, brows, and other things..

now i will have a empty beauty room when i open as i am concentrating on nail servies and building and marketing salon for the time being.. (cant do everything right)..

my dilemma..

i would love to give someone a chance and maybe rent said room on a daily base rent, but if i do this i may want to pursue some beauty treatments next year myself...

would it be wrong to advise potential self employed renter i may do this.. i dont want the room being used for 3 days a week and then sitting empty if i am able to do treatments myself next year..

the other end of dilemma is that i really do not to be in competition with nail services i offer to .. how do i get round this..eeek.. i have room for only i nail station.. in main area which will be mine..

sometimes i will not be able to be at salon all day ( i have school runs to do and obviously get kids tea ready for them and then start my evenings.. ) do i compromise and say they may take nail clients (off their own) when i am not working >???

obviously i will be writing up a agreement of terms.

sorry for essay but guidance from those who are renting out rooms to self employed therapists (not hair) would be greatly received.

many thanks

sarah x

Hi Sarah ... The thing is if you were to employ someone.. You can stipulate exactly what you want happening what hours and you can actually say that it's for a year contract and be honest with them saying what your planning on doing that way you can then say when the year is up thank you and goodbye or you can carry on if you haven't managed to train yourself up which by the sounds of it can be likely as you have children a house a new salon which takes a hella lotta time to get of the ground I know as ive opened up 3 now your there day n night marketing getting it right creating all new literature for working out banking properly .. Working the runnings of the place etc it's a big learning curve and I'm only the ass manager ( I love my job) I wouldn't do it else I actually love starting a business off from nothing to watch it grow n grow 👍👍 ... With self employed they do as they please they make the hours they do the treatments etc I just think what your after is something that might not be possible if self employed sorry to say .. Hth

Bless you both for replying..

Yes it been hard work butnthen goals are lol..and my first one..

Am not in a position to employ at present...i dont even think i will be getting much of a wage first 2 months lol,,unexpected costs and the 2 month solicitors delay and fees have now eaten well into funding, not leaving enough to actually equip room, so all i have is a beauty couch..eeekkk...

I think i will put it out for rental as i have at least 2 people asking...yet another dilemma is one is beauty and the other a massage therapist... And 1 room lol..

Will have them both in and see what they are both like..

Sighs...

Thanks

Sarah x

Bless you both for replying..

Yes it been hard work butnthen goals are lol..and my first one..

Am not in a position to employ at present...i dont even think i will be getting much of a wage first 2 months lol,,unexpected costs and the 2 month solicitors delay and fees have now eaten well into funding, not leaving enough to actually equip room, so all i have is a beauty couch..eeekkk...

I think i will put it out for rental as i have at least 2 people asking...yet another dilemma is one is beauty and the other a massage therapist... And 1 room lol..

Will have them both in and see what they are both like..

Sighs...

Thanks

Sarah x

Could you not have them both in part time? Say beauty on tues, weds and thurs and massage on Monday and Friday (or something similar?)

Hopefully they will both bring their own clients and they may want to work part time anyway? Also varies what your salon offers and by who. Worth a try! Good luck x

Cake & eat it!!!

Yes look at what days each person wants it, see if they can get along & do a room share...

Or if you like them both set a weekly rent & see who takes you up on it. Then you get paid a weekly rent.

If I was you, & your busy with nails, stick at doing nails!

Its all time & money, refresher training & buying kits & products, perfecting those treatments when you could be earning money doing nails.

Sit on your plans & see how it goes for a year, and decide further on down the line.

The beauty side may get really busy & you realise you couldn't do both nails & beauty on your own.

Room renter may leave, & you could decide to employ.

The beautician may be slow & you may decide to just rent the room out.

With you not being open yet its hard to judge.

You can stipulate you are renting the room out for beauty but unfortunately not nails, as that is what you are doing & you want both business' to compliment each other, not compete (take note, she wouldn't then take kindly to you doing beauty either) if the contract isn't suitable then they don't have to take the room!

Good luck with your new salon 🍀

Xx

Yes look at what days each person wants it, see if they can get along & do a room share...

Or if you like them both set a weekly rent & see who takes you up on it. Then you get paid a weekly rent.

If I was you, & your busy with nails, stick at doing nails!

Its all time & money, refresher training & buying kits & products, perfecting those treatments when you could be earning money doing nails.

Sit on your plans & see how it goes for a year, and decide further on down the line.

The beauty side may get really busy & you realise you couldn't do both nails & beauty on your own.

Room renter may leave, & you could decide to employ.

The beautician may be slow & you may decide to just rent the room out.

With you not being open yet its hard to judge.

You can stipulate you are renting the room out for beauty but unfortunately not nails, as that is what you are doing & you want both business' to compliment each other, not compete (take note, she wouldn't then take kindly to you doing beauty either) if the contract isn't suitable then they don't have to take the room!

Good luck with your new salon 🍀

Xx

Thank you for your lovely advice...being freelance for so long, this is first salon venture all advice is welcome...

And yes totally agree with i working both ways...

:)

Sarah

What about if you just rent out the room for a set amount of time with scope to terminate or extend the contract after set time, as said above have someone who will compliment your business rather than compete, it would give you time to refresh your skills and save up to equip your room and give you an income while your relearning, you don't need to disclose to the renter that u intend to take over their area once their gone. It'll be handy for you to have soneone there at the shop to hold the first while you do the school runs too, as a randomly closed shop is not good for business (I learnt this the hard way recently due to multiple school runs I had to do :( )

I would rent it out, with a good contract, to someone in beauty type service only. Ie makeup, lashes, waxing, massage etc. She should not do nails AT ALL. That is your domain. She could have a key so that she can come and go within certain hours and you can go and do your school runs too whenever you like.

I rented a space once where there was also a beautician and it was always a grey area as to who should do a manicure or pedicure, as I mainly did nails in the salon. It even got so difficult that I did a clients acrylic extensions then the beautician had to polish them. That didn't last and I found somewhere else where I could do everything I'm trained in.

Hope this makes sense.

You want the money from the room but also want the clients!

I actually think thats a very rude and presumptious comment to make...

But thank you for leaving a comment...

I would rent it out, with a good contract, to someone in beauty type service only. Ie makeup, lashes, waxing, massage etc. She should not do nails AT ALL. That is your domain. She could have a key so that she can come and go within certain hours and you can go and do your school runs too whenever you like.

I rented a space once where there was also a beautician and it was always a grey area as to who should do a manicure or pedicure, as I mainly did nails in the salon. It even got so difficult that I did a clients acrylic extensions then the beautician had to polish them. That didn't last and I found somewhere else where I could do everything I'm trained in.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes it does..

Eventually i want to offer some services again in future...nice to have advice from therapists and salon owners who have had experience of this working environment...

So,hope I find a happy medium somewhere lol..

:)

Hi all..

sarah x

Well thats what this reads like to me. So if youre not there and someone comes in for nails they cant do it. What if one of your clients prefers the other girls nails???

Well thats what this reads like to me. So if youre not there and someone comes in for nails they cant do it. What if one of your clients prefers the other girls nails???

Well,why didnt you say that in the first place !...you made me feel,like i was a greedy salon owner that wanted everything my own way...really not at all...just didnt quite know the best way round it without sounding like i was dictating..

I Put my thoughts out as i know there are salon owners, employers etc that have been in allsorts of situations, and also therapist who have worked as self employed in this situation too...

I Have had some really helpful replies, so appreciate all possibilites given to me...Still have a lot of work to do with this but now i have a clearer picture of how to deal with it...

No Hard feelings, xx

Latest posts

Back