Thinking of selling up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*beautifulme*

Reaction score
hello geeks!
i have a slight dilema- i've owned a salon for 4 years now and i've come to the desision of selling the business to buy a house and get married and then eventually to start making babies! (it's an italian thing)
i know its a very very sad :cry: ending to the business and i've loved every miniute of it, but i want more time for myself, i will always do beauty and be in the beauty industry- no one can take it away from me, i will setup a room at home....... and then eventually when the children are older i will then start a business up again. i'm still young and have a lifetime ahead to do this all over again. Having a salon is great and has made me grow up and become mature with resonsibility- no other 24 yearold has had this opportunity,but you need to give 100% and now is the time to let the man take care of me!
i have thought long and hard!
is there any good websites on the internet to sell the business on?
what do you all think?
where do i start?
any offers geeks?

i will appreciate any views on the situation
please be understanding!

Hi

Good for you on making the decision.

I am a single parent and run my own salon and I some times feel like giving up but if you have the support of every one around you then you will be fine.

Here are just a few ideas for selling you'r business

• Ebay - Its Cheap and world wide

• Broker - They take a fee and a pretty large one they also charge for advertising upfront

• Your Local Paper - I know ours charge £250 + for a weeks advertising

• Try on Here

• The Beauty Industy web- sites

• The Dalton Weekly - that is for businesses - Quite a sucesfull one and well known most people who are buying would look at this they also have a website.

Good Look

Angela:hug: :hug:

This is just my opinion - feel free to ignore me. Just because you want to get married and have babies does not mean you have to give up your salon.

I got married a long time ago and he wasn't the man I thought he was, I couldn't have children and he never let me forget it. I gave up on IVF and that was basically the end of the marriage. I was 27. I am now very happily married and have a good life

I hope that nothing like this ever happens to you, and I know that you are probably thinking ,cynical old bag but why not put in a manager until you have children at least. You may find you could manage that and embark on your new life as well.

Whatever your decision I wish you well

This is just my opinion - feel free to ignore me. Just because you want to get married and have babies does not mean you have to give up your salon.

I got married a long time ago and he wasn't the man I thought he was, I couldn't have children and he never let me forget it. I gave up on IVF and that was basically the end of the marriage. I was 27. I am now very happily married and have a good life

I hope that nothing like this ever happens to you, and I know that you are probably thinking ,cynical old bag but why not put in a manager until you have children at least. You may find you could manage that and embark on your new life as well.

Just wanted to say how you are not a cynical old bag at all Adele,thankyou for sharing this information.

It dosn't affect me personally, but I thought how brave you were for sharing this story.xx:hug:

Cynical - no - old bag - now theres a question?!?!? :lol: only jokng hun - I love you really.

I agree with you though - dont rule everything out as you dont know what will happen with your children plans. Believe me - I have been there and worn that T-shirt!.

I dont want to sound negative - but giving up my salon was the best decision I made and only wish I had the courage to give it up sooner.

Making money in a salon can sometimes be very exhausting, (working in the salon can get in the way of running the salon). If it is doing ok then you could get someone in to run it and still gain an income, BUT it is STILL a responsibility.

Your absolutely right in saying its hard work, and I honestly know how you feel (I had plenty of clients but was still chasing my tail). Having my son made me realise that there was more to life than getting stressed and being tied to the salon.

I think your brave to let it go and you will have defnitely gained the best experience you can ever have for the future salon you will no doubt open one day.

Best of luck.

I have to say, I completely agree with you Adele (and thanks for sharing your story).

I got married, and due to different reasons, I did not get pregnant for 6 years.

If that is what you really want hun, then go for it, but life doesn't always go the way you plan, and its good to leave your options open. JMHO. x

Hi Beautyfulme
Congratulations on your future as a family
Family is very important

I'm interested in renting a house and giving it a go down south
That's the place i'd sart looking...my best pal lives in Woking

can you give me an idea what you are selling/rent and how much?

Jenx

I have to say, I completely agree with you Adele (and thanks for sharing your story).

I got married, and due to different reasons, I did not get pregnant for 6 years.

If that is what you really want hun, then go for it, but life doesn't always go the way you plan, and its good to leave your options open. JMHO. x

You are not a cynical old bag at all, but giving a true and real perspective on how life can not always turn out to be a bed of roses. Also the idea of putting a manager in for her is excellent advice.
Cheers
Rachel:hug:

Hun i know how you feel,but let me tell you,having children and getting married doesn't have to be the end,it can be the start.

Yes it may be tough for a little while,but if you sell up,you could regret it when your little ones go to full time school for example.

I did the opposite to you,had my little one,then qualified and about to get married.For me to set up a business now is near on impossible.

For you however you already have it,if you have support from your loved ones and a great salon manager,you can do everything you want and keep your salon.

This is just my take on it,from someone in the situation you plan to be in,it is ultimately your choice and i wish you the very best of luck ,i just urge you to think it through very carefully,i am sure you will :hug:

i think you knocked it on the head as to how i feel. It is tiering and it is exhausting and believe me it's not as luxurious as it looks, even if i can get a manager to look after it i still feel the salon never runs properly and doesn't make as much money as it does when im there. i always feel that every penny i have goes to a bill even if it is my wages.( that's just me- its what i'm like)

i have loved the experience don't get me wrong and i love my clients but i think it's the next step in life for me to do.
it is a really busy salon and theres so much to experience and learn from. the clients and the girls are like one big family. i know its sad but i cant always sleep, breath or eat the shop- if that sounds right?

I dont want to sound negative - but giving up my salon was the best decision I made and only wish I had the courage to give it up sooner.

Making money in a salon can sometimes be very exhausting, (working in the salon can get in the way of running the salon). If it is doing ok then you could get someone in to run it and still gain an income, BUT it is STILL a responsibility.

Your absolutely right in saying its hard work, and I honestly know how you feel (I had plenty of clients but was still chasing my tail). Having my son made me realise that there was more to life than getting stressed and being tied to the salon.

I think your brave to let it go and you will have defnitely gained the best experience you can ever have for the future salon you will no doubt open one day.

Best of luck.

i think you knocked it on the head as to how i feel. It is tiering and it is exhausting and believe me it's not as luxurious as it looks, even if i can get a manager to look after it i still feel the salon never runs properly and doesn't make as much money as it does when im there. i always feel that every penny i have goes to a bill even if it is my wages.( that's just me- its what i'm like)

i have loved the experience don't get me wrong and i love my clients but i think it's the next step in life for me to do.
it is a really busy salon and theres so much to experience and learn from. the clients and the girls are like one big family. i know its sad but i cant always sleep, breath or eat the shop- if that sounds right?

Hun i know how you feel,but let me tell you,having children and getting married doesn't have to be the end,it can be the start.

Yes it may be tough for a little while,but if you sell up,you could regret it when your little ones go to full time school for example.

I did the opposite to you,had my little one,then qualified and about to get married.For me to set up a business now is near on impossible.

For you however you already have it,if you have support from your loved ones and a great salon manager,you can do everything you want and keep your salon.

This is just my take on it,from someone in the situation you plan to be in,it is ultimately your choice and i wish you the very best of luck ,i just urge you to think it through very carefully,i am sure you will :hug:

thanks for your opinion the last year has been really hard and most small businesses are down by 20%. i come from surrey- one of the most expensive county in england, a rat run, a commuters town, 20 mins from london. the council is so s*it here they are ruining the town and they are charging you london rates to even clean the bins! people are struggling- even my dad who has a coffee shop in the town center!
i have loved every miniute of the experience i an putting my views across to people to see what kind of yes/no opinions i get and to let people what situation i am in.
i loved your opinion and you do have a good point.

now im confused...............................:rolleyes:

Chick,i never meant to confuse you,but it's always good to flip the coin,so to speak and see it from another angle.

Only you can decide what's best hun,and when you do i am sure you will make the best decision for you :hug: x

Hi Beautyfulme
Congratulations on your future as a family
Family is very important

I'm interested in renting a house and giving it a go down south
That's the place i'd sart looking...my best pal lives in Woking

can you give me an idea what you are selling/rent and how much?

Jenx

My email address is on my public profile, list all the questions u need to ask and ill be happy to answer then the salon is called URBAN BEAUTY

Chick,i never meant to confuse you,but it's always good to flip the coin,so to speak and see it from another angle.

Only you can decide what's best hun,and when you do i am sure you will make the best decision for you :hug: x

trust me- it doesn't take that much to confuse me!!!!:rolleyes: thanks again x x x x x x

You are most welcome,i would love to know when you have decided what to do,best of luck hun xx

Hey a least you have something valuable to sell - I didnt, I ended up renting a room then walked away from it. The whole salon is now doing quite well (or so it seems) but we both know its so easy to spend on the business and 10 times as hard to actually get it back.

The only thing you will feel is relief...but...you will also feel a bit sick when you walk past it and it seems to be doing really well.

I watched a business programm and he said there is nothing wrong with giving it up if it doesnt feel right...you can always start again and do things differently with what you have learned.

I havent looked back. I went mobile for a few days a week, and for the first time in years I actually had some money. It felt amazing. That was about 2 years ago now.

Hi

I know exactly how you are feeling selling up - I am in the same situation - I love my salon and the hard work I have put into it - my staff is great - but!! I really dont feel Im cut out to be a salon owner - i dont like being a boss - sorting out all the paperwork etc etc. Im a nail technician and thats what I love doing - my salon is very busy - but I m busting a gut too - im selling for that reason - another is I want to spend more time with my children (they are always being palmed off during holiday time) they seem to be growing up too quick and another is that hubby is about to be posted too and I want the freedom to go with him - we are also thinking of emigration soon.

Oh well at least ive done it and I have a profession I can do anywhere and at anytime.

Heidi
Finishing touches
thetford, Norfolk

Your right - you sound exactly he same as what i did. People think owning a salon puts you in the 'well off' bracket, when its exactly the opposite.

My salon could never have paid me back financially for the hours and money I put in.

If I was to do it again - I would have a salon manager. I would do treatments 2 days a week only and spend the rest of the time working on the salon.
I would also keep an eye on the money side - the bit I got wrong.
I wouldnt be as soft with my staff ( I just let them get on with it - without any pressure).

Latest posts

Back