Thinking of starting back up with lashes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
Hi, I qualified in semi permanent lashes last year. I did 3 sets & gave up :( but I really want to get back into doing them. I hate being defeated & I'm pretty gutted what a waste of money it's been, so I'm determined a few months from now to be producing decent sets.

The ones I did last year were a bit of a disaster to say the least

(Set 1) - I got about 4 lashes on each eye in 2 hours lol my model got aggitated & asked me to stop. what slowed me down was getting glue stuck to my tweezers every 2 minutes.

(Set 2) - I taped the lower lashes out the way & rested a gel pad over the bottom lashes & put a bit of tape on the brows to lift the lashes up a bit but the lashes i was trying to lash seemed to just sink under the gel pads if that makes sense. It was so awkward & I gave in after an hour of battling. Plus when my model opened her eyes a few lashes were stuck to bottom lashes somehow even though I'd been meticulous in sticking lower ones down.

(3rd set) - again I got probably 10 lashes on each eye & the ones I managed to get on were all twisting in different directions, got a few bottom ones stuck to the top & then my model said please take them out...... I did & only went & got bloody gel remover in her eye didn't I :eek: i could of died.

that's when I threw the towel in after the last disaster. I now haven't done lashes for a couple of months but i know with a bit of practise I'll be ok.

I've bribed my sister to come on Monday & my friend is coming on Thursday & ive got my cousin on Friday & that's the only 3 models I can lash. I don't have anyone else! suppose I'll have to make do, anyone got any tips for me or success story's lol

how many sets was it until you felt confident in what you were doing?

how many sets was it until you sat back & thought to yourself.. actually my lashes look good?

How did you get the hang of isolation? is it just a case of practising your ass off lol

one last question how do you set your frame? as you can probably tell my training wasn't the best.

I've got lashbase lashes in b & j curl & lash emporium fast set glue :eek: & sensitive glue. might start with the sensitive & when I feel more confident use the fast set. saves paying out for medium set when I'm not earning anything from practising.

I'm going to watch plenty of YouTube videos later & do plenty of searches on here, thanks xx

One word practise! That is all it takes. Honestly.
Take before and after pics of all so you can see the progression and see what you may need to focus more on.
A good way to practise isolating lashes is to buy a set of cheap strip lashes, and stick them down to something flat like a mirror, so the lashes are all pointing up at an angle, then practise isolating a lash and putting a lash onto it. It will just help you get quicker with your tweezers. Once that is mastered then you can worry about all the obstacles human eyes bring, different shapes, lash thickness, direction and most importantly getting your clients to cooperate with you whilst you are doin their treatment.

I would get a model, take pics and put them on here, and ask them to critique them. There will be many geeks willing to give you advice and point you In the right direction I'm sure.

Good luck and get practising!xx

Take before and after pics of all so you can see the progression and see what you may need to focus more on.
A good way to practise isolating lashes is to buy a set of cheap strip lashes, and stick them down to something flat like a mirror, so the lashes are all pointing up at an angle, then practise isolating a lash and putting a lash onto it. It will just help you get quicker with your tweezers. Once that is mastered then you can worry about all the obstacles human eyes bring, different shapes, lash thickness, direction and most importantly getting your clients to cooperate with you whilst you are doin their treatment.

I would get a model, take pics and put them on here, and ask them to critique them. There will be many geeks willing to give you advice and point you In the right direction I'm sure.

Btw I did my training and used the med set glue. Hated them, all of them. So after two sets bought the fastest setting glue I could find. Loved it! Made me speed up because I knew I couldn't mess about and it stuck the lashes that quickly I didn't have to worry about spending ages unsticking lashes that weren't completely dry before I moved on. Doesn't work for everyone but the glue thing made it much easier for me.

Yeah! I am in exactly the same position as the OP. I did my course, got the practise clients out the way..... then nothing.... salons around here charge £25 for a full set and I can't compete. I take too long and I know its practice but everyone I have asked to have a set done and refill have refused as they either don't like 'falsies' or use MAC strip lashes :sad: so I am in a total quandary. I hate the fact I have spent SO much money on my kit but do I just put it down to experience??

Thanks dinky, I'll takes some photos next week & upload them onto salon geek.
can I ask how you set your frame with your lashes please? X

Yeah! I am in exactly the same position as the OP. I did my course, got the practise clients out the way..... then nothing.... salons around here charge £25 for a full set and I can't compete. I take too long and I know its practice but everyone I have asked to have a set done and refill have refused as they either don't like 'falsies' or use MAC strip lashes :sad: so I am in a total quandary. I hate the fact I have spent SO much money on my kit but do I just put it down to experience??

hi, I think you should try the lashes again.. then if you still can't get to grips with it by all means give it up, but least you can say you definitely tried, this is how I'm thinking of it.

luckily I have another job so that pays my bills so I'm not solely relying on money from lashes, which means I can practise in my free time for the next 6 months if need be, then only start charging when I'm 100% confident in what I'm doing. like I said above I only have 3 people I can practise on so its going to be tough but I'm also thinking of advertising on my spray tan facebook page for models (won't attempt that until I've done a little bit of practising though) who did you initially train with? what products are you using? X

Hey hun... sorry to hear you've had a bit of a nightmare so far, I bet with a bit more practice to build confidence you will be flying :D

If you are struggling with finding willing live models have you seen the eyelash mannequin heads from lashbase? I'm thinking of getting one to get some practice in both before and after I've done my course. You can experiment with all sorts of effects then too...... oh, and it wont moan if you are a bit slow to start off with either! ha ha:wink2:

x

If your tweezers are getting stuck, it sounds like you're picking up the lash and when you dip it into the glue, you're dipping the ends of the tweezers into the glue also. (sounds obvious - but easily done!)

Try picking up the lash slightly higher up (towards the tip) to help keep the tweezers out of the way.

I also keep a little sponge soaked in acetone handy for easy tweezer cleaning lol

xx

Hey hun... sorry to hear you've had a bit of a nightmare so far, I bet with a bit more practice to build confidence you will be flying :D

If you are struggling with finding willing live models have you seen the eyelash mannequin heads from lashbase? I'm thinking of getting one to get some practice in both before and after I've done my course. You can experiment with all sorts of effects then too...... oh, and it wont moan if you are a bit slow to start off with either! ha ha:wink2:

x

I've seen these heads actually, I just didn't think it would be any good to me, but this was before I knew no one was willing to model for me lol so I think I'll be buying one of these! Thanks for the reminder ill get one ordered. wish I could rep you again haha x

If your tweezers are getting stuck, it sounds like you're picking up the lash and when you dip it into the glue, you're dipping the ends of the tweezers into the glue also. (sounds obvious - but easily done!)

Try picking up the lash slightly higher up (towards the tip) to help keep the tweezers out of the way.

I also keep a little sponge soaked in acetone handy for easy tweezer cleaning lol

xx

Thanks kennedia, I bought some acetone for my tweezers & had a spare pair of tweezers so once one pair got sticky I soaked it for a minute & used the other pair. I will trying picking the lash up slightly higher. Xx

I know How u feel, lashing really frustrates me too, I forgot all about those mannequin heads , think I'm gona order one as well x

I've seen these heads actually, I just didn't think it would be any good to me, but this was before I knew no one was willing to model for me lol so I think I'll be buying one of these! Thanks for the reminder ill get one ordered. wish I could rep you again haha x

Aw thanks hun... well it's the thought that counts, intentional rep all the way I say! :hug:

x

Another tip for quickly getting rid of glue from tweezer tips is a quick rub over with an emery board followed by a quick wipe to get rid of the bits. Works for me xxx

Sent from my AT100 using SalonGeek

I really feel for you because I was in the exact same situation as you last year. I trained in 2010 seemed to pass the course fine but then I done about 8-9 sets and had nothing but bad experience one lady came back after 4 days with not one left another lady had found they had all clumped together, stuck peoples lower lashes to the top as the wiggled out and same as you I hid my salon kit at the back of the cupboard. It wasn't until I cam to do my accounts last year and see the sum of money staring at me that I decided to try again this time I changed to the quicker setting glue (YAY no more clumping or twisting lashes!) I changed my eyepads from the cologen gel type ones to the lash base ones ad the lower ones stopped wiggling out. I still don't think I am anywhere near the best I can be but I have been taking pictures along the way and have seen a great improvement and this keeps me going. Good luck my lovely you are determind so you will be fine xxx :hug:

Latest posts

Back