Thinning hair: hair loss/hair toppers advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronray

Reaction score
Hi there I've a friend who's hair has been thinning progressively, she's been seeing a trichologist for around 2 years now, and has felt that they're treatment helped to a certain degree. With lockdowns etc she's not been able to receive the same treatments as she'd normally have, and has found that this has had a major impact on her hair. Her is a L ot thinner and flatter--hard to manage.
She's looking at buying a topper, so that she can feel like she's got nice hair again.... She looked at beautiful betsy, but I'm not so convinced that this is the right thing for her. Has anyone got any experience with this brand or others, or any advice that they think will help :) TIA

Hey Ron, that’s such a shame for your friend. Obviously, the top of the head is the most difficult to cover with a piece and still look natural. Does she have volume in the sides of her hair that she can do a deep parting with to cover the top centre (if it’s long enough). And maybe add some coloured fibres before doing this? It’s worth trying the Beautiful Betsy piece if she is feeling low and desperate but she might find it too unnatural looking. It depends on her preferences and if she is sensitive about potentially appearing to wear a hair piece. If she still has decent coverage it might be better to continue to manage her hair, but it’s a toss up between how bad she feels about her hair presently and the loss of naturalness a topper might bring with it. I don’t know if your friend has an acceptable amount of hair at the hairline and the area just above - if so, a hair piece that is positioned from above the hairline area as much as she can get away with (even a 3/4 wig or Halo-type piece positioned a bit lower down the top of the head than usual) could be a better option in terms of naturalness because it’s usually the hairline and surrounding area that is the “giveaway”.

Hey Ron, that’s such a shame for your friend. Obviously, the top of the head is the most difficult to cover with a piece and still look natural. Does she have volume in the sides of her hair that she can do a deep parting with to cover the top centre (if it’s long enough). And maybe add some coloured fibres before doing this? It’s worth trying the Beautiful Betsy piece if she is feeling low and desperate but she might find it too unnatural looking. It depends on her preferences and if she is sensitive about potentially appearing to wear a hair piece. If she still has decent coverage it might be better to continue to manage her hair, but it’s a toss up between how bad she feels about her hair presently and the loss of naturalness a topper might bring with it. I don’t know if your friend has an acceptable amount of hair at the hairline and the area just above - if so, a hair piece that is positioned from above the hairline area as much as she can get away with (even a 3/4 wig or Halo-type piece positioned a bit lower down the top of the head than usual) could be a better option in terms of naturalness because it’s usually the hairline and surrounding area that is the “giveaway”.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Do you use any brand of the fibres? I've never used this kind of product so I'm not sure what would be a good choice.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Do you use any brand of the fibres? I've never used this kind of product so I'm not sure what would be a good choice.

I’ve only tried the Nanogen one from Boots, which is great on my Mum’s thinning hair (androgenic/hormonal hair loss). I don’t think it will be as effective on bald spots if your friend has any, but if she has very fine, thinning hair it will definitely help! You and your friend might have already considered this but what helped my Mum is colouring her hair as close to her skin tone as possible. The darker hair she had before just really contrasted on her fair skin and drew attention to her widening parting.

I’ve only tried the Nanogen one from Boots, which is great on my Mum’s thinning hair (androgenic/hormonal hair loss). I don’t think it will be as effective on bald spots if your friend has any, but if she has very fine, thinning hair it will definitely help! You and your friend might have already considered this but what helped my Mum is colouring her hair as close to her skin tone as possible. The darker hair she had before just really contrasted on her fair skin and drew attention to her widening parting.
Yes we tried going lighter but she's quite dark naturally and her scalp is very red. So going lighter on the base exposed more of the redness, and following advice of her trichologist she has to wash her hair everyday so she does get excessive colour fade.

One of my clients is Indian and wears a hand made wiglet for the top of her hair. She had to tell me before I realised!

I couldn’t believe how successfully it worked. I would definitely recommend trying one because the transformative effect on confidence is unbelievable. We’re so used to seeing hairpieces and extensions that no-one bats an eyelid even when the colour/texture is a bit of a contrast.

you do get what you pay for, as with anything.

Google Watermans Shampoo

Yes we tried going lighter but she's quite dark naturally and her scalp is very red. So going lighter on the base exposed more of the redness, and following advice of her trichologist she has to wash her hair everyday so she does get excessive colour fade.

That’s a pity - keep us posted if your friend finds a solution she is happy with. It’s such an upsetting condition. Fingers crossed for her.

Hi there I've a friend who's hair has been thinning progressively, she's been seeing a trichologist for around 2 years now, and has felt that they're treatment helped to a certain degree. With lockdowns etc she's not been able to receive the same treatments as she'd normally have, and has found that this has had a major impact on her hair. Her is a L ot thinner and flatter--hard to manage.
She's looking at buying a topper, so that she can feel like she's got nice hair again.... She looked at beautiful betsy, but I'm not so convinced that this is the right thing for her. Has anyone got any experience with this brand or others, or any advice that they think will help :) TIA
I can't offer advice on hair pieces, although I'd be interested to hear more about it for one of my clients, however I can say we've seen good results in a few clients who one of our stylists recommended to take Biotin tablets. It's just a natural kinda vitamin type tablet, so you can get it from Holland and Barratt, etc. They need to take for 2-3 months to see any change and then will continue to see a difference while taking it. It's the only thing I can say I've witnessed a very obvious difference to the thickness. You can take from 1-4 daily, so they can start at say 2 and up the dose if they don't see much change.

Latest posts

Back