this site is the best

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

groovynails

Reaction score
been doing a bit site hopping looking for other naily things :oops: and my god is this one the best :shock: most of the others seem so jumbled up and hard to find your way around :huh: this is by far the best :thumbsup: not gonna look at any others they drive me mad :clown: :squish: i love this :fro: i would actually look like this if i brush my curly hair ;)

please can someone tell me how to bevel product down when doing maintence :oops: :silly:

I wish I knew your name and where you were from ... can you fill in your profile? ... ,makes it much easier to relate. ANYWAY I will try to explain how to tackle a rebalance and to bevel the product so you never see any 'fill lines'. 8)

So often when a technician starts to prepare the nails for a rebalance (some call this a Fill) she/he sees a little bit of lifting and heads straight for it with the nippers or the abrasive to remove it. What started out as a little bit goes further... and further ...until one is half way down the nail before it finally stops. :!: ... working in this manner takes MUCH longer because one is working on product that has not been thinned first, what's more it is loose, so all you do is loosen it more by shaking it around with excess filing :oops: AND working so close to the new regrowth, one can easily damage it. :(

First (so we know what we're talking about, lets call the smile line to free edge ZONE 1, the stress area ZONE2, and the rest of the nail ZONE 3).
Try it this way. This is for a French Rebalance.

First check out Zone 1 - and shorten it. Next note the thickness of the product at Zone 1 and reduce it by HALF of however thick it is. Check the sides to make sure there is no 'curling' of the natural nail away from the tip.

Next check out Zone 2 - particularly look at the side walls to make sure there is no lifting or cracks or breaks. Then similalrly to zone 1, file over the surface to reduce the thickness of the enhancement. (Only a bit, there is no need to reduce by half). If there is a crack or break, then carve a 'V' into the crack widening out at each side with the abrasive until it looks like you have removed a 'piece of pie'.

Finally we get to zone 3. (This is where the bevelling comes in) If there is any lifting in this area then FIRST - gently thin it down and THEN (with a nice new abrasive) place your abrasive NOT on the product which is loose and lifted, BUT on the area that is still adhered to the nail plate and file, with firm but controlled strokes, until you go thru the product. BE CAREFUL here as you don't want to harm the natural nail. Any lifted material will just flake away leaving a beautifully unscratched nail plate and a perfectly bevelled edge and NO fill lines.

This operation does not take long because you have Already done the majority of the work when thinning the product - the rest is easy!

Re-apply Perfect White to Zone 1 making sure to (1) catch and clamp any new growth or edges that may be curling and (2) reform a new smile line with a small bead (remember zone 1 already has product on it so you don't need a large bead here) and taper the bead out to the free edge.

Next - another small bead in zone 2 that will fill in the 'piece of pie' and re-establish strength in the stress area.

Finally, apply your last bead in Zone 3 as usual to anchor the rest of the enhancement.

There you have it :) :) Hope you have a new outlook on maintenance which is designed to prevent problems rather than to cure them. ;)

... a kick-ass post; also you can check out the tutorials which you can see on the left hand side of the screen - there is a step by step on re-balancing that actually SHOWS you what to do!!! :study:

thanks for the reply .feel much happier :thumbsup: .i have also filled in my profile :rolleyes: :fro:

nicola

Sorry to here about College - I DO hear it ALL the time though. Without even getting into NVQ etc, let me just say that the MAJORITY of 'teachers' in college for Nail Enhancemnts, have never done a nail in their lives - they teach it because they teach manics and pedics so they THINK that Nail enhancements will be easy. When they can't do it, they blame the product for their nails looking bad; or THE STUDENTS blame the products, because the students ASSUME that the teachers know what they are doing!! :huh: I mean you would naturally assume that a college teacher - TEACHING a class in college, would be properly trained in their subject!!!
Personally, if you are interested in nails and NOT beauty, then go to a reputable nail company to learn!! apart from the colleges I know of where there are great nail teks teaching in them, that is the route I would go!!! :thumbsup: Hope I haven't rambled too much - just drives me demented :cus:

the thing that makes me mad is that the teacher we had is a nail tech! :twisted: :evil: .good at the theory stuff but the pratical stuff we had to fumbble through ourselves :twisted: :evil: which is why so may people left :( she has been doing nails for 8 years and is creative trained and other company trained .)so you would of thought that she would be good at teaching. but obviously not :( anyway im sure i will get there as im gonna convert to creative and get some training with a teacher who can actually teach. convinced the other girls who did the course to do more training as well as 2 of them were gonna give up even though they have the NVQ ..we worked really hard so were not give up due to bad training.put it down to experience and just keep learning :study: :study:

nicola

You know, it really does take a person with the right qualifications AND atitude AND aptitude to be a good teacher. Just because one is a great nail technician does not mean tha that person can pass along his/her skills to another, or that he/she has the necessary foundation of knowledge needed to teach.

Because 'Artificial Nail Services' are now a mandatory part of the beauty NVQ, many colleges are literally asking 'anybody' in their local area that is a nail technician, to come and teach because the BT tutors have a lack of knowledge in the nail category. Many of these imported 'nail tutors' have NO teaching qualifications or the skills needed to do so.

Remember that Just because a person has attended a CND training, do not presuppose that that person is a competition quality nail technician!! We have plenty of students and salon owners who have never gone on to increase their skills or knowledge - sadly. :( It is there for them ... 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink' :!:

It is sad that the NVQ has not produced the standards it was set up to produce, and the lack is definitely due to the diversity in the quality of teaching between different education providers and different lengths of courses etc. :rolleyes: I would check out very thoroughly the tutors record before I signed up to do a class. 8)

You'll do well. You have the right atitude and an enquireing mind and that will take you far. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back