Those of you who work from a conservatory?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
Hi all looking for some advice pls. I am currently room less and was looking into building a little summer house/log cabin in the garden, my concern was the heat and cold which led me to thinking about my conservertory...... It is very old and gets v hot in summer and v cold in winter so I had discounted it however I'm thinking if I'm going to have this problem with a summer house anyway should I just use what I have. How do you all get on? Any pics would be great too? Thanks X

Hi all looking for some advice pls. I am currently room less and was looking into building a little summer house/log cabin in the garden, my concern was the heat and cold which led me to thinking about my conservertory...... It is very old and gets v hot in summer and v cold in winter so I had discounted it however I'm thinking if I'm going to have this problem with a summer house anyway should I just use what I have. How do you all get on? Any pics would be great too? Thanks X

Was trying to add a pic in current state but I can't says file to large

I have just built a conservatory onto the house but instead of a standard conservatory roof we put a proper solid roof on. I also have doors at both ends so on some of the really hot days we've recently had I could gave them both open.

Winter will be interesting though!

I work in our conservatory, through the summer I have had the windows/doors open & a fan on to keep it cool. In winter I'm planning to keep the blinds & curtain to the adjoining room shut to keep the heat in. Might get a little portable heater if necessary. I find it ok.... The light is good & its easy to keep clean, plus my clients/family aren't affected by eachother as its a seperate room. The only thing is being careful that my gel polish doesn't set in daylight! If it's too sunny I have to move my desk into the front room. But that depends on how the light falls into yours & the position of your work area :) x

I've tried uploading a pic but it won't let me as the file is too large x

We had solarframe change our roof and now it is like an extra room not hot and cold in winter anymore it's fantastic X

We had solarframe change our roof and now it is like an extra room not hot and cold in winter anymore it's fantastic X
Was that a pricy move?? X

Thanks ladies. My garden is south facing and it gets incredibly hot in summer I'm not sure it would work with my gel polish then it's literally like a green house

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have full length blinds on all windows and spend most of my days using Shellac and even on the hottest of days this summer I had no problems.

Last edited:
I work from a cabin and I have to say I have a heater for the colder days and a tall fan for the hotter days....my gel polish I keep in my 'roo cube' which is insulated ...my gel polish have been ok and it's nice having a work space away from the house
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1473026182.199646.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1473026212.428767.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1473026244.662336.jpg

I work from a cabin and I have to say I have a heater for the colder days and a tall fan for the hotter days....my gel polish I keep in my 'roo cube' which is insulated ...my gel polish have been ok and it's nice having a work space away from the houseView attachment 200636View attachment 200637View attachment 200638

That's gorgeous. My clinic is attached to the house and whilst I love it I think my family would prefer me to work from something in the garden likes yours!!

That's gorgeous. My clinic is attached to the house and whilst I love it I think my family would prefer me to work from something in the garden likes yours!!
Arrrrh Thankyou I have to say I used to be mobile (well still do some) but I love not having to lug all my stuff about...I used to do some in my living room which was ok if I was doing nails...but a pedicure with a dog sat each side of you dose not look professional lol....some people loved it....'doggy love' I just didn't ...no one complained and when they are having a treatment in the cabin some people now ask for the dogs to come in[emoji23] ....I just think it's much nicer for me ...there is work in the cabin and there is home....xsx

Do you mind me asking where you got your cabin from?

Thank you for all your replies, aargh don't no what to do. My conservertory is floor to ceiling glass on all sides (really old style) would be fine in winter and could access through the garden door so no walking through house, however like the idea of a cabin too being completely separate but nervous about the heat problem again in summer. I could only afford more of a summerhouse than cabin so thinner walls etc x

Arrrrh Thankyou I have to say I used to be mobile (well still do some) but I love not having to lug all my stuff about...I used to do some in my living room which was ok if I was doing nails...but a pedicure with a dog sat each side of you dose not look professional lol....some people loved it....'doggy love' I just didn't ...no one complained and when they are having a treatment in the cabin some people now ask for the dogs to come in[emoji23] ....I just think it's much nicer for me ...there is work in the cabin and there is home....xsx

Awwww I would love a furry companian whilst having a treatment! I usually keep my dog in a seperate room but I was doing a family friend the other day who loves him so she asked if he could be let in, halfway through her pedicure 3 stone of bulldog suddenly launched into her lap... I wanted to die but luckily she thought it was hilarious. He is now however banished during all treatments! x

Thank you for all your replies, aargh don't no what to do. My conservertory is floor to ceiling glass on all sides (really old style) would be fine in winter and could access through the garden door so no walking through house, however like the idea of a cabin too being completely separate but nervous about the heat problem again in summer. I could only afford more of a summerhouse than cabin so thinner walls etc x

Same as ours, it's literally a glass box! We have floor to ceiling blinds & ceiling shades to keep the light out, it just manages to sneak through via the top windows if it's sunny. Why don't you try using the conservatory for a while & see how you get on before deciding to build a cabin? xx

Same as ours, it's literally a glass box! We have floor to ceiling blinds & ceiling shades to keep the light out, it just manages to sneak through via the top windows if it's sunny. Why don't you try using the conservatory for a while & see how you get on before deciding to build a cabin? xx
Yes I think that is a good plan as I know il be ok with winter coming, will just need to heat it.... Have you got ordinary blinds or special conservertory type? Thank you x

Yes I think that is a good plan as I know il be ok with winter coming, will just need to heat it.... Have you got ordinary blinds or special conservertory type? Thank you x

I think they're made to measure conservatory blinds?! I was too young to pay attention when we got them haha. They cover all the windows & ceilings xx

Latest posts

Back