Thought of the week-layering

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gorgeous blue well done you xx

That's gorgeous.im desperate for a restyle, so tempted to go shorter when I see pics like this :)

You think? I wasn't to pleased as I had cut most of the dead out but that's still really dry (despite putting treatments on) so it was a cow to blowdry and chop into and it wouldn't sit right x

Anyone heard of twist cutting?

You section the crown area of hair off (or wherever shorter disconnected layers are wanted) secure the length of the hair so you don't cut it, now twist the crown area hair straight up (like you twist when going to clip it out the way) then take your thinning scissors and cut through your twist!

Release the hair and there you have it loads of volume and texture throughout the top section of hair :)

I do this alot on shorter styles to help create volume and texture.

And disconnected layers i love them

You think? I wasn't to pleased as I had cut most of the dead out but that's still really dry (despite putting treatments on) so it was a cow to blowdry and chop into and it wouldn't sit right x

Oh I know the feeling! It will be there in the end though. Still looks fab :)

Too many techniques to list...... Depends on hair style wanted, hair texture etc! Graduation, square graduation, reverse graduation, transient graduation, over cutting, natural inversion, square or box layers, round layers .............. ;-)

Too many techniques to list...... Depends on hair style wanted, hair texture etc! Graduation, square graduation, reverse graduation, transient graduation, over cutting, natural inversion, square or box layers, round layers .............. ;-)

Whats square graduation? Is reverse where you start at the bottom or instead of the top or is it where you pull in the opisit direction to normall graduation and is over cutting the same as over direction cutting? :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I use square grad a lot on short haircuts, section the hair into a horseshoe and clip top out of way, cut from centre of back forward on each side holding finger straight out ie not bending to follow head shape.
Reverse graduation is shorter at crown leaving weight in length.
Over cut uses a keyhole section generally at crown although you can use this anywhere you want a shorter disconnected layer. It's hard to explain sometimes as people use different language to describe sections or techniques! If I have some spare time I'll try an draw out these on head sheets ;)

I use square grad a lot on short haircuts, section the hair into a horseshoe and clip top out of way, cut from centre of back forward on each side holding finger straight out ie not bending to follow head shape.
Reverse graduation is shorter at crown leaving weight in length.
Over cut uses a keyhole section generally at crown although you can use this anywhere you want a shorter disconnected layer. It's hard to explain sometimes as people use different language to describe sections or techniques! If I have some spare time I'll try an draw out these on head sheets ;)

yes so much easier when you see a diagram lol but i can kind of in visage it :)

Yep!! Black, to red, then brown to blonde to red back to blonde then black!!

And now this!! ;)

love this haircut blue you little superstar! lol x

Love this thread, definately would like to see more on this sort of topic as opposed to clogging of extensions.

Love that do blue, looked so much better than she came in with. Xx

I dont like thinning scissors i think you get more control from point cutting or slicing so to speak ask your tutor to show its so much easier i think xx

Yeah I find that much easier I normally use those techniques, for general thinning I never even use my thinning scissors! I think it's lazy xx

And now this!! ;)

Wow I'd love to work in your salon! Your always spot on with your colouring and this is a fab re-style! I'd learn so much, keep up all the good work xx

Yeah I find that much easier I normally use those techniques, for general thinning I never even use my thinning scissors! I think it's lazy xx

Yea thats what i think too and luckily my tutor thinks the same so she showed us how to do it xx

Anyone heard of twist cutting?

You section the crown area of hair off (or wherever shorter disconnected layers are wanted) secure the length of the hair so you don't cut it, now twist the crown area hair straight up (like you twist when going to clip it out the way) then take your thinning scissors and cut through your twist!

Release the hair and there you have it loads of volume and texture throughout the top section of hair :)

sounds easy n fun, I'm definitely trying this on my next clients hair cut!! thanks for sharing!! xx

And now this!! ;)[/QUOTE

Wow blue, it's awesome!! X

I love that cut blue! .. I'm growing mine out from an asymmetric cut and have just had it levelled out in to a bob but seeing that makes me want to have it cut back in! Argh! Xx

Latest posts

Back