Thought of the week-layering

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerinse

Reaction score
How do you do yours?

Do you do disconnected layers much ?

Do you know what disconnected layers are?

Im new at hairdressing and i dont know what disconected layers are.

Also i have been told to do long layers by bringing the hair straight up. Or do uniform following the shape of the head. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I love disconnected layers, but can never find someone to do it on myself

Chazz... Disconnected layers are great!! Especially if someone wants volume and texture with layers but nothing lost from length.

The way I do it is put an index finger on each side of the clients temples...wiggle my fingers up and down to create a zig zag pattern from both sides to the back so you should have a zig zag going from ear to ear, while holding all the top section of hair in one hand, secure the bottom section of hair out the way so you can't pull any of it and cut it by accident.

Not with the top section get a section , decide the length the wants this section to be cut too, cut it all hit by bit again being careful not to get any hair from the bottom, once all hair is cut, release the bottom section and voila!! You've done disconnected layers, but do not blend them into the rest!! X

Ye i had disconnected layers, i wish i never now because take forever to grow back to one length again.. But they do give you that extra volume you need x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Chazz... Disconnected layers are great!! Especially if someone wants volume and texture with layers but nothing lost from length.

The way I do it is put an index finger on each side of the clients temples...wiggle my fingers up and down to create a zig zag pattern from both sides to the back so you should have a zig zag going from ear to ear, while holding all the top section of hair in one hand, secure the bottom section of hair out the way so you can't pull any of it and cut it by accident.

Not with the top section get a section , decide the length the wants this section to be cut too, cut it all hit by bit again being careful not to get any hair from the bottom, once all hair is cut, release the bottom section and voila!! You've done disconnected layers, but do not blend them into the rest!! X

What angle do you cut them at? So you just do it as if you were layring but you just dont blend it in x

I take the hair straight up and cut, if done properly yes there great, you can blend the rest in if you want to grow out but yes it takes a while if you don't want it layered but one length!

Or you could try Evo Root canal base support spray, I'm loving this currently!

I take the hair straight up and cut, if done properly yes there great, you can blend the rest in if you want to grow out but yes it takes a while if you don't want it layered but one length!

Or you could try Evo Root canal base support spray, I'm loving this currently!

So you just take the top section and cut straight up do you cut in to layers when done? I mean like texture it? And whats evo root canal root spray what wholesares do you get it ftom and is good x

Yes I take every section of hair straight up and cut, it depends what the clients wants but yes normally I slice through and take weight out, Evo is only available through Aston and fincher but you need to be an approved salon, pm me if you wanna get home of some x

What do you do to bend if you did want to do this what is blending. X x
p.s my last week at college next week. X
Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

By blending you would create normal layers, I use the plateau layer technique to blend in without losing length, you will keep weight at the bottom of the hair yet allowing volume, and movement through the rest.

i love disconnected layers! most of the time i end up doing straight forward long layers but have a few girls who get them disconnected with their long bobs x

I have a client who has had disconnected layers for yrs now she loves it :)
I feel her long section is getting to long now as she has bin asking me to really funk the top part up
I.e razor, chipping, slicing
She loves it but then she is bonkers :) lol

I loooooveeeee disconnected layers!

What a good topic blue!

It also gives the illusion of length too.

I do my disconnection usually from the centre, just depend how there hair falls, then take an almost triangle shape, so the flat bit goes across the crown. Smallest point at the front hairline.
Then take divide into 3 sections either side of the centre part.
Do one side at a time.
Start with the section at the crown, pull up and cut desired length. Usually at an angle.
Then take the middle section over direct back into the first section.
Then the last section again over direct back .
Repeat on the opposite side of part.

Blow dry then go through layers and texturise them!

I hope that makes sense?

I always over direct back so it keeps the length around the face.

I'll attach a piccy.

This is one of my fave cuts to do, it's about exciting as you can get with long hair!

love to hear everyone else's ideas!

xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1340187059.505784.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1340187059.505784.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 426
Beautiful work as always sarah! This is exactly how i do mine.

Many moons ago i went to a toni and guy seminar for disconnection. Now the way it was taught to me i have expanded on. But i must admit it was a great way to disconnect. It has the use of straighteners, very obvious disconnection especially on mid length hair. The straightners have the sharper edgy blunt cut, lovely but its more time consuming. xoxo

I loooooveeeee disconnected layers!

What a good topic blue!

It also gives the illusion of length too.

I do my disconnection usually from the centre, just depend how there hair falls, then take an almost triangle shape, so the flat bit goes across the crown. Smallest point at the front hairline.
Then take divide into 3 sections either side of the centre part.
Do one side at a time.
Start with the section at the crown, pull up and cut desired length. Usually at an angle.
Then take the middle section over direct back into the first section.
Then the last section again over direct back .
Repeat on the opposite side of part.

Blow dry then go through layers and texturise them!

I hope that makes sense?

I'll attach a piccy.

This is one of my fave cuts to do, it's about exciting as you can get with long hair!

love to hear everyone else's ideas!

xxx

thats how i had my hair cut when it was as long as that, but now my tutor blended in my layers by over directing etc and now my hair is just below my shoulders :-( but i do want my layers back to one length i do like it when you style the hair down but frustrated me when i wanted my hair styled up,.
lovely hair cut though xx

Beautiful work as always sarah! This is exactly how i do mine.

Many moons ago i went to a toni and guy seminar for disconnection. Now the way it was taught to me i have expanded on. But i must admit it was a great way to disconnect. It has the use of straighteners, very obvious disconnection especially on mid length hair. The straightners have the sharper edgy blunt cut, lovely but its more time consuming. xoxo

There's no rule book is there... I mean at first you need to master the basics but after that it's kind of like whatever goes!

What about normal layering?
I feel I do the same old all the time!x x

thats how i had my hair cut when it was as long as that, but now my tutor blended in my layers by over directing etc and now my hair is just below my shoulders :-( but i do want my layers back to one length i do like it when you style the hair down but frustrated me when i wanted my hair styled up,.
lovely hair cut though xx

Definitely, I use to love my hair cut like that... Your right though major pain to put up!
Great for thick hair though!xx

Definitely, I use to love my hair cut like that... Your right though major pain to put up!
Great for thick hair though!xx

yea definatly thats why i got mine like that would give me volume and also i started getting headaches from weight of my hair, but now my hair is in bad condition so it appears to of thinned out a little, but when i had my hair cut like that everybody use to ask why not a lot of people would know what it is, do you get a lot off cuts like that? at the salon im at now they just seem to get a lot of long graduations especially if they have long hair because there scared i think to try anything else xx

yea definatly thats why i got mine like that would give me volume and also i started getting headaches from weight of my hair, but now my hair is in bad condition so it appears to of thinned out a little, but when i had my hair cut like that everybody use to ask why not a lot of people would know what it is, do you get a lot off cuts like that? at the salon im at now they just seem to get a lot of long graduations especially if they have long hair because there scared i think to try anything else xx

Yeah definitely, you always get that client with long hair.. Wants to keep the length but wants something different!
It also looks great with graduated bobs!
And the good thing about a client who is scared... You don't have to have the disconnection too short, it's your canvas you can have it as long or short as you like.
I reckon lots of hairdressers don't even know how to cut a disconnection.
I was never taught in college... I even went back 7yrs later to do my level 3 and can honestly say that I never even saw a demo of one!xx

Latest posts

Back