Thought provoking - salon opening times

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefni

Reaction score
I hope it's not just me.... But I don't understand why salons close on a Sunday? Think of the business they are missing from people who work Monday to Friday!! Was very surprised that Toni and Guy was closed today!! I know this was the norm before but was wondering if this is still the case now? I know rainbow rooms are open Sundays but where else?

Super cuts, Regis, most salons in towns are closed because it's not money wise to open....plus I'm human and need a day off and have a life too :) it really annoys me when clients ask are you open Sunday's and I say no. They look mortified!!

when i worked for a large chain of salons we worked on Sundays and was always busy.
When i managed a smaller salon we just couldn't open Sundays - not enough staff to cover extra days off during the week

Yeah understand salons closing think I'm just surprised that Toni and guy was closed with it being such a large company?

Yeah understand salons closing think I'm just surprised that Toni and guy was closed with it being such a large company?

But there all franchises chick, do only 40 ish in the whole world are actually owned by Toni and guy x

Toni & Guy are all individual salons operating under the "Toni & Guy" name. Each is a an individual business ran by a separate business owner. The only "company owned" ones I know of are in London.

Plus, as others have said, life can't all be about money. ;)

I've offered Sundays to clients and most refuse! I'm fully booked Saturday coming so have opened up my diary for Sunday. Most clients see Saturday as the day for getting the jobs done and Sunday as a relaxing, family day. Well, in my area anyway.

Sundays and Mondays are the days of rest!!!
I know i definatley need 2 days off a week to recharge and like blue says,have a life.
During the Tues to Sat our salon is open we put in 3 late nights,all starting at 8am and finishing at 8.30-9pm,we start even earlier some Saturdays for regular gents and we never have a lunch break,but id rather be chock block all week and have my 2 days at home.
I love my job but i love my hubby and kids way way more ;);)

I'm with blue on this one! I work every day I can, evenings and Saturday's and I get really annoyed when people expect me to work Sunday's! I have the same attitude "I do have a life too" I bend over backwards and I love work but why and who wants to work 7 days a week :/
Only time I would do a Sunday is if it was a very important day like a wedding or something!

As above,i will do Sundays for important day like a wedding party,which i am doing in a couple of weeks!
The best thing about this wedding day party is that all of us staff are going to the very posh hotel/spa to do hair,nails etc,staying for the remainder of the day (spa facilities available to us!)and were all off to the evening reception party,so we will be getting paid for a fab day off!!!
x

I need 2 days off to recharge me batteries! I also have a Wednesday off to do book work and stock etc. Life isn't all about work, ya gotta have some fun too ;)

My thinking was if you have a big enough staff to cover for the 7 days why not? Alternate who works a Sunday! Maybe I'll change my tune when i have as much experience as all you guys and the years of working all hours sorry guys was just a thought!

I agree I've had the same thought myself. I knew a guy who ran a very successful string of estate agents and said the key was to be the one still open evenings and weekends. If people drive past and see your shop light is the only one on they remember you and you manage to attract all walks of life with people that work all shifts.

I had concluded the same with hair/beauty myself, but as you say it's a case of wait and see till you have that much experience!

He's a millionaire now ;) xx

i agree that if you have staff to alternate the sundays off then thats great but i also think you would have to be chocca busy during the week every week before opening that extra day....no point paying staff during the week and electric etc if no clients and then opening an extra day too, thats not business sense!

I work hard enough, to make sure i get one day off which happens to be sunday, and even then its technically not my day off.

My salon runs monday to friday late nights and an early close on saturday, purley because i want my weekend and in my area it falters off. I made the decision to cut back on my saturday as it wasnt as busy when i first open to now being choca block every saturday, plus it creates a exclusitivity if you book in advance it works.

I deal with an out of hours service too which has a minimum spend per person, its mainly weddings but if we cant accomodate them in the salon then it has to be worth my while to do it on my resting day. My staff appreciate the fact that most of us have lives outside salon hours and do end up having plans over the weekend. In my eyes its a win-win rather than getting staff calling in sick because they are hungover!!!!

Its not always about money, plus clients these days are recluctant to have weekend appointments on sundays. xoxo

I agree with Wonderwoman about it not always being about the money.
I work over many many days every week to fit in clients that dont have childcare untill after 6 and look foward to a couple hours peace,or clients that work the same long hours we do and want to spend their weekends with their family which i can totally relate to!

Although it ultimately comes down to the fact we are running a business to earn a wage,its so much more personal than that after many years and building up so many good relations with clients,after all they pay our wages :biggrin:

I open Sunday, but close Monday/Tuesday. So far, they are often as busy as a saturday.

i have found this side of the world most places open on a sunday , i worked in a salon that we had to do alternate sundays , but then i worked at another plae that was smaller and they didnt open, i guess it just depends on how big the place is and how many staff etc x

I wasn't meaning the money side although it's a plus I was meaning for clients so they have a wider variety of days to choose from! I understand people have lives, but people who work mon - fri would be good if they could have a choice instead of just a sat!

I wasn't meaning the money side although it's a plus I was meaning for clients so they have a wider variety of days to choose from! I understand people have lives, but people who work mon - fri would be good if they could have a choice instead of just a sat!

If they can't find time in my 65 hours that I'm open and they work 37.5 then that's not my problem. X

Latest posts

Back