Thought provoking......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerinse

Reaction score
As I'm fed up of reading about extensions I want a really good strong thought provoking topic between fellow minded Stylists..... Throw a few ideas in and I'll see what to start with :) or a good technical question :0)

im gettin a bit bored too. my real one is do clients/consumers realise that patch tests are essential and are done 48hrs prior every application?....becolour safe is a website that you can link in with your own to redirect and assure clients on why we patch test.
Consumer - Allergy Test | Be Colour Safe

My main TPTW is do you patch test for colour or do you not for highlights even if you may use a pigment to a bleach (colourgraphics) its recommended....

The other TPTW is under 16 whos enforcing and whos not bothering?? Are clients under 16 worthwhile to just have highlights or is it still enforced that colour may not be applied.....blurry lines if you ask me..... Whats everyones thoughts? xoxo

I skin test every new client, only 2 clients that have colours every 4 weeks that never change I don't ;s is that really bad?

But no I don't think they really know! I make sure I tell them, why and the risks. yes I skin test with graphics too!

As for new 16 yr old regulation, no I never have coloured and I will never change so this has helped me, and given me something to use. :0) and most parents agree with me to be fair :) yippee!!

well they keep changing their minds first it was check every 6 months now its every 48hour due to the stuipid claims.
I skin test every new client then reassess every 6months but i only realised recently as in yesterday that its been changed!!!!

Im not a fan of doing under 16- ive had 2 clients that were my friends kids, but apart from them i wont do it. However im aware that many teenagers will go grab a box dye and maybe get highlights, but i dunno why its not widely known yet....im really confused to where we stand if its widely avaiable in shops? xoxo

See as for skin tests my insurance only requires me to provide a duty of care, so every 6 months is fine, for existing aslong as I dont do 4 colours in one go, then they react or something if you get me?

No I wish it was more widely known to be honest but I tell everyone! I say I'm
More than happy to give them a consultation but until they turn 16 nothing touches their hair!!

I explain to all clients the need for a patch test. Some of them act like its an inconvenience. I've heard "no salons have made me do this" or "I've been colouring my hair for years nothings ever happened before". I don't understand them I'm mobile so will go to them for the test.

Sorry if this is a really bad question but how long does a skin test last for? Or is it just before any colour regardless of time?

We don't colour pre 16's however I do have a couple of pre sixteen h/l clients. They only have scattered foils and I also do their parents hair and have their complete agreement!
As for patch testing we insist in hair and beauty, what's annoying though is the clients that turn right around even after you explain it all and go up the road where some one else will tint there and then!! I know I'm really right but it's like kissing cash to the wind!! Irked!

I always test new clients and clients that have not had a regular colour , however I have taken over a salon where the previous owner just didn't bother to skin test at all! I mean to the point where the clients look at me like im mental when I tell them it's a must!

So the most recent thing to happen:

Client comes in on a Saturday afternoon requesting a full head colour, I have never done her hair before but I knew that she had been a client of the previous owner. So I told her I would be able to give her a skin test and she could book an appointment to have her colour on the Tuesday.( we are closed Monday's) so she said no I want it done today! I explained that wasn't possible and she would need a skin test no question about it . So she decided to argue with me.....
"I always do my colour at home I'm fine with colour" hmmmm
So obviously I still refused but continued to offer the skin test. She refused and left.......

Tuesday afternoon arrives. The same Client strolls through the door...."I would like my colour done today"

I explained to her that as she had refused the skin test , to have the colour she would need a skin test and then she would be able to have her hair coloured in 48 hours. To which she replied "is that tomorrow??."

After I told her no 48 hours isn't tomorrow it's on Thursday at least she storms out once again!

I honestly do not think that clients fully understand the seriousness of skin testing. Why would they when there are hairdressers who are willing t colour without them? It sends out the wrong message that it's "no big deal"

Phew that was a bit long!

As for under 16's I have coloured family under 16's but other than that I've never been asked from what I can recall. I don't really know what the do's and don'ts are with that and parental consent.

Last edited:
Sorry just re read what you said about under 16 regulation.

under 16's, difficult one. I don't have any clients that fall into this bracket at the moment but I do have children and there are kids in my daughters year who have had their hair bleached ( shes 9) mostly boys?:eek:.
When I drop my son off at high school I would say 55% of the girls from age 13 up have had some colour, be it highlights or red. Surely its better to have this done in a controlled situation rather than using box dyes. Is there anyway an official petition could be started via Salon Geek?

Also here's another 'talking point' what about being on your own in a salon with a minor (difficult to tell age after 14)? How would you protect yourself against false litigation if someone decided to 'make something up' Hairdressing is a very 'close' proceedure? discuss..............

I'm in 2 minds about the colouring under 16s. I can totally understand it BUT they will do it at home anyway, and they won't skin test so part of me thinks it's not going to help the situation x

I actually really agree with bluerinse. And I am an extensionist! I went on today after being off for a while working on the space I am setting up and I am kind of sick of all these threads asking the same questions and some of them are clearly not posted by hair professionals.

Maybe there should be a forum just for extensions then we wouldnt have to read them!!

i hd no idea there was a law for under 16's i always thought it was an ethical/moral decision. i have only done family under 16's because they had trashed there own hair and i was begged to fix it. oh and one of our juniours. had i known this was against a law i would have been a little less likely to do it haha. hmmmm confused though because box dye is more dangerous and kids will jus think they can do whtever. we have all seen a young'un wlkin around with black hair from when they were an emo, who then tried to dye it bright red, so have lovely red strip along the part. .

I'm new to the site, lots of people had been talking about it at work, hair shows, colour trophy etc.

You can imagine my disappointment when i joined and saw so much about extensions appearing on a daily basis...

I respect that everyone should be able to speak about there particular aspect of the industry but in my experience the vast majority of stylists here in Ireland don't offer hair extensions. Its popular as a bit on the side but thats it.

I know i'm a newbie but i would hate to think that other people may be put off using this forum.

Is there any posibility of setting up a seperate hair extension forum??
Surely that would suit stylists and extensionists to have all the relevant topics in the one place

I'm new to the site, lots of people had been talking about it at work, hair shows, colour trophy etc.

You can imagine my disappointment when i joined and saw so much about extensions appearing on a daily basis...

I respect that everyone should be able to speak about there particular aspect of the industry but in my experience the vast majority of stylists here in Ireland don't offer hair extensions. Its popular as a bit on the side but thats it.

I know i'm a newbie but i would hate to think that other people may be put off using this forum.

Is there any posibility of setting up a seperate hair extension forum??
Surely that would suit stylists and extensionists to have all the relevant topics in the one place

Hi

Im starting my NVQ level 2 in hair in September and was thinking surely if the under 16 law applies to hairdressers - doesnt it make sense for box colour products but be off limits to under 16's in shops as well?

Latest posts

Back