Thoughts please on colleagues asking you to do their nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEEKS_R_WE

Reaction score
Colleague at work, every so often would ask me to do something on her nails.
Its usually a design she doesn't know how to do or wants to find out how its done .
One time she asked me to do gel extensions done with tips on her but she normally wears hard gel. She doesnt use tips when doing extensions, just nail forms.
One time she kept pestering me to show her how to do the veil nails. I told her to youtube it , but she still wanted me to show her.
Now she wants me to do a set of apre gel x on her... hmmmmm

Are you self employed? If so, I’d ‘grey rock’ her and not engage any further.

Its usually a design she doesn't know how to do or wants to find out how its done .
One time she asked me to do gel extensions done with tips on her but she normally wears hard gel. She doesnt use tips when doing extensions, just nail forms.
One time she kept pestering me to show her how to do the veil nails. I told her to youtube it , but she still wanted me to show her.

I'm not sure I understand the issue?
Are you annoyed because she's asking you to show her and you don't want to share your skills? If you are colleagues why wouldn't you share knowledge?
Or because she's expecting sets without paying? Charge her appropriately or trade treatments whatever the arrangement is in the salon

I'm not sure I understand the issue?
Are you annoyed because she's asking you to show her and you don't want to share your skills? If you are colleagues why wouldn't you share knowledge?
Or because she's expecting sets without paying? Charge her appropriately or trade treatments whatever the arrangement is in the salon

Hello. thanks for your reply. I am trying to figure out why I'm so irked with this.
I read your reply and I thought real hard.
Do I not want to share with her?... But I am always sharing with everyone at work?

I see one of my other colleague struggle with airbrushing so I took her to one side on our lunch break and showed her how to do it and explained how the gun worked and how to clean it.
If i have a gap in between clients on a quiet day, I will sit with the girls and show how to do nail arts to the girls that need help with designs.
I'm always watching out for others at work and ready to help them with anything if I can and to give advice.
So I don't think it's about not wanting to share knowledge

I figured its because I don't like the feeling of being duped. She doesn't actually ask for help. She pretends she wants something done she so she can watch how I do it and i also believe to scrutinise my handiwork and compare.
Why would you ask me to do a set of extensions on one hand only? Is it to see what my work is like?
I've not seen her share anything with any of us either. Myself and a couple other girls struggled with nail stamping (boss paid for a course) and she kept tight lipped even though she is the one that has experience with stamping.

I figured its because I don't like the feeling of being duped. She doesn't actually ask for help. She pretends she wants something done she so she can watch how I do it and i also believe to scrutinise my handiwork and compare.
Why would you ask me to do a set of extensions on one hand only? Is it to see what my work is like?
I've not seen her share anything with any of us either. Myself and a couple other girls struggled with nail stamping (boss paid for a course) and she kept tight lipped even though she is the one that has experience with stamping.

Ah! Well done for being able to work out why it is bothering you. Your reasoning sounds perfectly sound, and I suspect you've hit the nail on the head.

I would guess there's an element of jealousy/envy of your skills and they are uncomfortable admitting they are feeling inadequate or lacking. It's an acquired ability to be able to ask for help especially in the fast paced, fake world of social media 'experts' and ' perfection' - people think these beautiful nails happen easily and every time. No-one posts up videos/pictures of their fails so the pressure to able to do things perfect immediately is exaggerated and not based in reality. She may well have watched the videos but still can't work it out, but close up watching you the magic happens.

This doesn't take away from the fact that the basic issue is that she's not being honest in asking for help or assistance and pretending it's something else. I suspect there's an element of immaturity, let's face it, confidence comes with age. I'm 52, I will happily say to someone 'I can't do that, can you show me how?' In my 20's I'd have rather eaten my eyeballs than expose a 'weakness' to my peers.

Maybe gently call her out, no-one wants to be humiliated or embarrassed when asking for help, but when it's just the two of you at your desk doing whatever she's asked for say to her 'are you wanting this so you can work out how it's done? because there's a few little tricks I can share rather than just do them'. She may not respond favourably initially she's got to get past her embarrassment/resentment/whatever to be able to respond honestly and relax into being vulnerable.

It is a compliment to you, albeit backhanded, that she comes to you, and it says huge amounts about you that you are willing and able to share knowledge and skills, you're also going to share your skill and experience in helping others grow emotionally too.

You're pretty fab it seems 🤗

Is there anything you want from her? Do 2 fingers only. Have then go first.

Ah, I misunderstood the problem.
I thought that you were probably self employed and that she was wanting you to pass on your skills in order to poach your clients.

However, I think you should have a word with the salon manager about providing additional training. If you’re expected to pass on your skills to less competent staff members, then you should be compensated with a higher wage.

Ah! Well done for being able to work out why it is bothering you. Your reasoning sounds perfectly sound, and I suspect you've hit the nail on the head.

I would guess there's an element of jealousy/envy of your skills and they are uncomfortable admitting they are feeling inadequate or lacking. It's an acquired ability to be able to ask for help especially in the fast paced, fake world of social media 'experts' and ' perfection' - people think these beautiful nails happen easily and every time. No-one posts up videos/pictures of their fails so the pressure to able to do things perfect immediately is exaggerated and not based in reality. She may well have watched the videos but still can't work it out, but close up watching you the magic happens.

This doesn't take away from the fact that the basic issue is that she's not being honest in asking for help or assistance and pretending it's something else. I suspect there's an element of immaturity, let's face it, confidence comes with age. I'm 52, I will happily say to someone 'I can't do that, can you show me how?' In my 20's I'd have rather eaten my eyeballs than expose a 'weakness' to my peers.

Maybe gently call her out, no-one wants to be humiliated or embarrassed when asking for help, but when it's just the two of you at your desk doing whatever she's asked for say to her 'are you wanting this so you can work out how it's done? because there's a few little tricks I can share rather than just do them'. She may not respond favourably initially she's got to get past her embarrassment/resentment/whatever to be able to respond honestly and relax into being vulnerable.

It is a compliment to you, albeit backhanded, that she comes to you, and it says huge amounts about you that you are willing and able to share knowledge and skills, you're also going to share your skill and experience in helping others grow emotionally too.

You're pretty fab it seems 🤗
Thank you so much for your compliment. I'm blushing.🥰 I'm grateful for your answer. I was starting to go crazy, thinking that I was being unreasonable and doubting myself.
You always give good answers (and critque) with your honest words of wisdom, knowledge and experience (whether some of us need to hear it or not😉), and your contributuion to this online community is truly awesome.
Thankyou... x

Thank you so much for your compliment. I'm blushing.🥰 I'm grateful for your answer. I was starting to go crazy, thinking that I was being unreasonable and doubting myself.
You always give good answers (and critque) with your honest words of wisdom, knowledge and experience (whether some of us need to hear it or not😉), and your contributuion to this online community is truly awesome.
Thankyou... x

Now who's blushing 😊 🤗

Latest posts

Back