Threatened with court for damaged shirt

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capeamethyst

Reaction score
A fifty somthing year old man walks in to my salon and requested a back wax, two days later he returns and complains saying the back of his shirt is ruined he said he paid £150.00 for two shirts 2 weeks ago and I owe him £ 75.00 for one shirt, he says he has no receipts for the shirts and bought them cash so cant prove any thing but is threatening me with small claims court,. I have never come accross a situation like this before and would welcome any advise

Wow that is a bit major isn't it! How was his shirt ruined? And did he show you the ruined shirt? Sounds a load of bull to me x

What is wrong with the shirt?

Did he bring it in to show you the problem ... I am baffled as to what could possibley be wrong with it.

However, to answer your question.

I would advise him that he must do whatever he thinks is correct and you will wait for the summons.

Advise him that all further communications should be in writing so as to keep the claim simple.

What a chancer.

well he brought the shirt back in with him, but he said he had scrubbed it and pored boiling water on it, it was pinstriped it looks like there is a bit of spotting on the back, i have insurance which would cover it but i have to pay £150 excess and he has no receipts, i just wondered if any one has had any similar issues as iv never come across anything like this before

well he brought the shirt back in with him, but he said he had scrubbed it and pored boiling water on it, it was pinstriped it looks like there is a bit of spotting on the back, i have insurance which would cover it but i have to pay £150 excess and he has no receipts, i just wondered if any one has had any similar issues as iv never come across anything like this before

He scrubbed it and poured boiling water on it - lol!!!

He can't prove a thing in court then can he???

I have never heard of a shirt being ruined by having your back waxed.

Did he take his shirt off before you waxed him lol.

Don't even think about going through your insurer to pay him off.

Tell him very politely that as he has scrubbed and boiled the shirt you can no longer see what the damage was supposed to be and that the fairest way to settle this is for him to take you to small claims court.

He won't don't it.

well we wax backs all the time, most men come in with tight white t shirts on and we have never ever received any complaints, he did mention his very expensive shirt when he asked for the treatment, with the benefit of hindsite i should have clocked he was a chancer shouldnt i .
Really good advise Thank you.

He scrubbed it and poured boiling water on it - lol!!!

He can't prove a thing in court then can he???

I have never heard of a shirt being ruined by having your back waxed.

Did he take his shirt off before you waxed him lol.

Don't even think about going through your insurer to pay him off.

Tell him very politely that as he has scrubbed and boiled the shirt you can no longer see what the damage was supposed to be and that the fairest way to settle this is for him to take you to small claims court.

He won't don't it.

i soooo agree! what a chancer! no proof of damage, no claim. simple lol, its amazing what people will try! ha ha xx

I bet the shirt was a fiver from primarni! x

If the shirt did cost £75 then he shouldn't be pouring boiling water on it!! It's him that's ruined the shirt by doing this! Tell him to jog on (but in nicer words than that) and he can't prove how much it cost without a receipt anyway. He prob got it from Primarni ;)

Thanks everyone, will let you know how it turns out

i would ask to see the shirt and she which bit you have supposedly damaged! maybe offer to pay for it to be dry cleaned but i would not be paying for a new one!

Yeah hun you have nothing to worry about people try anything. No receipt.. And paid for it in cash? I'm doubting that. Who in their right mind would of tried to 'scrub' and pour boiling water on a 75pound shirt.. Instead of showing you the evidence! Bonkers!

I wouldn't even offer to pay for dry cleaning as by doing that you are accepting liability.

He wouldn't stand a chance in the small claims court for all the reasons that others have said.

It's probably worth a call to your insurers and also insist that if he wants to take it further then all furture communication should be put in writing.

If that was to happen to me I have a simple response. "I'm sorry you feel like that, please put your complaint with all details in writing and I will pass this on to my insurer who will be in touch." End of discussion.

Who turns up to be waxed with a new expensive shirt?!
He sounds like a complete chancer.
He has no receipt for said shirt, he has poured boiling water on it and scrubbed it.
Even if he took it to court, which I very much doubt, he won't get very far.
Speak to your insurance company.
If he contacts again then tell him that you have spoken to your insurance company and if he has any complaints then he will have to get himself a solicitor and go through the proper channels and that you are not at liberty to discuss it with him any more.

I agree with angelina. Even in a court he would have to prove the cost. Also he could of ruined it anywhere. Let's face it he sounds like a chancer and I think it's cost at leat £50 to put it into small claims court. Xxxx

I truly am the messiest waxer in the world and have ended up with wax on both my uniform and towels on many occasions and have always got it out even at a 30 degree wash...he is just trying it on cheeky devil.
tinax

What does he want, the shirt off your back??!! :lol:

Last edited:
Looks like the village is missing it's idiot!

He won't stand a chance as he's destroyed any evidence by pouring boiling water on it. He's a chancer and a fool to wear a good shirt for a waxing appointment.

There are so many about!

Tell him to go to a small claims court a) it will cost him and he'll change his mind b) if he does actually go he now has no proof or receipt so will loose costing him even more in court costs etc

He's just a man who's wife has gone mad at wasting money on a shirt and thinks ooh young beauty therapist that will work!

Latest posts

Back