throw away the key

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great advice from Cathie ... You can't control what you don't see.

Keep the computer where you can observe what your 'little darlings' are doing. That goes for the TV too.

This letting children have their own world in their bedroom away from parental control is just madness. Who in their right mind can believe that this is a healthy way to live and raise children??

that is one thing i wont allow my boys to have...a computer in their rooms, mine is smack bang in the middle of my dining room and you can see it from the lounge, as its open planned.
so i am allways around. i also limit their usuage of the internet, homework only(for my eldest) and at weekends they are allowed an hour each (cause mum wants to geek) plus i dont think its healthy for 3 lively boys to spend their lives sat on the bums at a computer (like me lol) i think the internet scares me more than outside the house, a computer/internet is a clever manipulative tool for child abusers...

Great advice from Cathie ... You can't control what you don't see.

Keep the computer where you can observe what your 'little darlings' are doing. That goes for the TV too.

This letting children have their own world in their bedroom away from parental control is just madness. Who in their right mind can believe that this is a healthy way to live and raise children??
My kids, 5, 6, 10 don't have TVs in their rooms but I know a lot of kids do have, dvd players too....bed time imo is for sleeping.

At present the new's here is filled with reports of these twisted sick piece's of ****

They have caught an international ring in full operation - so far 35 people have been discovered worldwide ......unforunately fewer charged.... devastatingly nowhere near enough.

XX J XX

I watched Jeremy Kyle the other morning and a convicted paedophile was asking for his help.

He assured everyone (not) that he would never re-offend again and was asking that more courses are set up for paedophiles once they have left prison.

WHY!! IF THEY ARE MEANT TO REHABILITATED!!

He had met a lady?? who gave up her 4 year old daughter to be with him and since then fell pregnant by him and gave that child up too. FFS what is the matter with people.

If the punishment was hands chopped off, castration and labotomy for a first offence I'm sure these sadistic b***tards would think twice.

This guy was disgusted that people within his area were allowed to know that he was a nonse, which meant he couldn't lead a normal life and live for the future.

GOOD AND TOUGH I say, what about the 15 year old and his 6 year old daughter that he raped!!

Lock em up?? Castrate them and leave them to the victims/parents.

Ooooo sorry but this topic makes my blood boil.

Teri x:hug:

I have to agree. I heard about this chemical castration for these people, this can't come quickly enough

Whats wrong with a rusty knife??? :evil:

i hate the thought that i am working hard to provide tax ££££ that pays for these people to be safely locked away:irked:. get rid of them and spend the money on some more worthy cause.

I saw in the paper yesterday that a bloke in California has been given a sentence of more than six thousand years for abusing his daughter. I know of one poor little girl locally whose abuser was out in four. The justice system in this country beggers belief!

I know poor lamb!

What about the ones who are never caught and the victims are made out to be liars??

Justice system, Crown Prosecution service, they are all to blame!!

Teri x:hug:

Yes hard candy!!!

that taught his a lesson (whether he was a pedo or not is not clear - but if he was then he deserved it)

so this country just needs a little girl/devil child to do this!!!

I'll do it!!!:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Web chat sites....have you seen in the news, under age girls and boys having sex live on the internet for money, up to £100 a time....feeding the paed's wants and desires....their parents are in the house while they are doing this.....keep your computer where you can see it....if your kids need a computer for school work, don't let them have internet access in their bedrooms, keep it where you can see it!

I have always had everything in my bedroom. And i have never had or caused a problem.

you can block sites from your PC, set restrictions.

In all fairness, all your kids are probably trying to hide from you is when they are telling their mates who they fancy on MSN.

Keep an eye on their contacts list, just to make sure they only have their actual friends on there. even ask them to write you a list of their friends email addys so you know who's who.

ask them what websites they use, set the computer to allow access to these.

Keep an eye on their myspace or other profile friends list, and ask them to set their profile to private so that only their friends can see it.

I think these are reasonable things to do, But IMO even children need some privacy.

Im not a parent, but im probably nearer to childhood than alot of the moms on here! lol. And if my parents started getting on my case about stuff and invading my privacy, id have probably rebelled just to p*$$ them off, and more to the point, tried to find out what they were hiding from me.

I have always had everything in my bedroom. And i have never had or caused a problem.

In all fairness, all your kids are probably trying to hide from you is when they are telling their mates who they fancy on MSN.

Keep an eye on their contacts list, just to make sure they only have their actual friends on there. even ask them to write you a list of their friends email addys so you know who's who.

Keep an eye on their myspace or other profile friends list, and ask them to set their profile to private so that only their friends can see it.

I think these are reasonable things to do, But IMO even children need some privacy.

Im not a parent, but im probably nearer to childhood than alot of the moms on here! lol. And if my parents started getting on my case about stuff and invading my privacy, id have probably rebelled just to p*$$ them off, and more to the point, tried to find out what they were hiding from me.
Although my daughter has a lot of her friends on msn I also found that she had a bebo site... on her site she had 18 and 21 yr old men who had added themselves not only to her bebo friends list but also to her msn list, I realise she must have accepted their invitation for them to be on her msn list but all the same :eek:

The computer the kids use is in the living room, not hidden away in their bedrooms!

Yes I did go through 'My Received Files' on their computer and yes I did see things I wish I hadn't but fortunately none of them were overly untoward ie no paedo's and/or sick people.

You can never be too careful where kids are concerned and as a parent it's my right to ensure that my kids are safe, if that means going through their emails then I will do it, privacy or no privacy, their safety is my utmost concern.

I realise you're not a parent Kate but if and when you have children then your attitude will change, believe me :hug:

I have to disagree I'm afraid,

My 15 year old had a 24 year old that liked the look of her on Bebo, she replied stupidly to his "Hello" and ever since he has found out from friends where she lived, the school she goes too, told her he loved her, his fiancee has been to the school trying to threaten her, she 27 :eek: (caught her though, silly girl, sh**s herself now everytime she see's me:lol:), point is my daughter cancelled it, I didn't ask her too, it was of her own accord, she said it was too much hassle and there were some right weirdos on there, her words not mine!!!!

ValencianNails said:
I realise you're not a parent Kate but if and when you have children then your attitude will change, believe me :hug:

Here, Here!!:hug:

My daughter is very sensible on the pc but as told me that you get perv's asking for pic's etc she just blocks them everytime. I have always explained to my kids that this world although containing some very nice people also contains some scum and perv's and I think rather than frightening my kids this has made them more aware.

our computer is a family computer so its in the lounge...my kids have always been taught to ask permission before doing..joining..accepting..chatting to ANYONE...then i check it out first and make my decision. For me its no different to them asking permission to go to someones house..playout...have people over or give out our phone number.

These are my children and i take NO chances...its my job to protect them and that i will do.

think the golden rule is YOU CANT BE TOO CAREFULL.

The hot looking lad at 17yrs old chatting to you (if your a 15/16 etc year old) may in fact be 60:eek::eek::eek:

The internet is NOT a safe place for nieve ?(sp) teeneagers !

Facebook, bebo etc.....i dont know much about them other than ANYONE can be pretending to be someone they aint:eek:

amb x

think the golden rule is YOU CANT BE TOO CAREFULL.

The hot looking lad at 17yrs old chatting to you (if your a 15/16 etc year old) may in fact be 60:eek::eek::eek:

The internet is NOT a safe place for nieve ?(sp) teeneagers !

Facebook, bebo etc.....i dont know much about them other than ANYONE can be pretending to be someone they aint:eek:

amb x

That 15 or 21 year old just might also be a cop playing the young kid..looking for the freaks out there.
They do this in the US all the time. Looking for pervs and drug dealers.

point is my daughter cancelled it, I didn't ask her too, it was of her own accord, she said it was too much hassle and there were some right weirdos on there, her words not mine!!!!

My daughter is very sensible on the pc but as told me that you get perv's asking for pic's etc she just blocks them everytime. I have always explained to my kids that this world although containing some very nice people also contains some scum and perv's and I think rather than frightening my kids this has made them more aware.

which goes to show you dot actually NEED to wrap your kids in cotton wool as the saying goes. because they are responsible to make the right decision themselves.

In all walks of life theres gonna be wierdos, of course they are going to be wierdos of a different nature the older your kids get.

But like ive said, as long as they only use the internet to keep in touch with their friends, and ignore anyone else that takes a liking tothem they will be fine!

I dont even allow random people onto any of my friends lists and im 22!! lol.

I have enough random wierdos approach me when i go out so i dont want them buggin me when im snuggled up at home aswell!!

As long as your kids know the score, like lels said she has warned her children about scummy people, they should be almost scared into doing things your way.

If you have a list of their friends email addresses, you can actualy go into the received files, then into the chat og and see without even looking at the conversations who theyve been talking to. At least that way your not actually bein nosy. You can see who they are talking to, which would be no different than them talking to in the playground!

As for kids having accounts on loads of sites, why do they need them? explain to them that these sites are just a plae where you can share pictures and things with your FRIENDS, not other people. Let them have one account, i use myspace, i think we all do, so i know it has privacy features.

You can block access to other profile accounts so they cant get on them!!

I think that these creeps should be locked in a box (with an airhole, wouldn't want them to suffocate :twisted:) butt naked covered in honey then covered with red ants, leeches, wasps, rattlesnakes, misqutios, scorpions and black widow spiders and left there to be tortured and eaten alive!! :mad: :evil:

Now THAT'S punishment...JAIL is too good for these rats, oops! I should not call them rats, because that is an insult to actual rats everywhere!! :irked:

which goes to show you dot actually NEED to wrap your kids in cotton wool as the saying goes. because they are responsible to make the right decision themselves.

In all walks of life theres gonna be wierdos, of course they are going to be wierdos of a different nature the older your kids get.

But like ive said, as long as they only use the internet to keep in touch with their friends, and ignore anyone else that takes a liking tothem they will be fine!

I dont even allow random people onto any of my friends lists and im 22!! lol.

I have enough random wierdos approach me when i go out so i dont want them buggin me when im snuggled up at home aswell!!

As long as your kids know the score, like lels said she has warned her children about scummy people, they should be almost scared into doing things your way.

If you have a list of their friends email addresses, you can actualy go into the received files, then into the chat og and see without even looking at the conversations who theyve been talking to. At least that way your not actually bein nosy. You can see who they are talking to, which would be no different than them talking to in the playground!

As for kids having accounts on loads of sites, why do they need them? explain to them that these sites are just a plae where you can share pictures and things with your FRIENDS, not other people. Let them have one account, i use myspace, i think we all do, so i know it has privacy features.

You can block access to other profile accounts so they cant get on them!!

The thing about the computer security measures is that there are very computer savvy teens that know how to get around all the safeguards that we as parents try to put in place...simply because they THINK that they can hang in a grown folks world and we "are making them feel like babies" they don't realize even at 15, 17, 20, 25....THEY ARE OUR BABIES, and the world is a sick place these days!!

When you have children...teenage children, you'll be doing the same thing. Privacy? Yeah right! My son is 17 and he ain't got none, I want to know what's going on at ALL times and if he don't like it when he get 18 he can bounce, but until then...Momma's house, momma's rules!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back