thumb nails growing like corkscrews

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ella

Reaction score
I have a friend who has thumbnails which corkscrew. This is due to an accident as a child.

OK so this is not a run of the mill nail issue, but what would you all do with it. I want to make the nails look as close to normal (i.e growing straight) as possible. I am thinking - build up one side, the extend from there. Would you tip or sculpt? Do you think regular rebalance or will it need regular replacement?

ella said:
I have a friend who has thumbnails which corkscrew. This is due to an accident as a child.

OK so this is not a run of the mill nail issue, but what would you all do with it. I want to make the nails look as close to normal (i.e growing straight) as possible. I am thinking - build up one side, the extend from there. Would you tip or sculpt? Do you think regular rebalance or will it need regular replacement?
I would use a tip,
Use a full well tip, reduce the well area to 50% or until looking correct on the nail.
Use Gelbond, and place the tip on the nail, but holding it until set, so it is placed visualy correct.........Blend................
Then use chosen product...........
You will have to replace this enhancement more often, as the tip will not correct the growth issue just mask it............
HTH

Thanks ruth - helpful as always. Unfortunately the amount of twisting could not be corrected by using gelbond with a tip (it is very severe) hence the idea of building one side up a bit first with some l & p - what do you think??

(Maybe I should post some pics, but that would involve getting a digital camera and I am strictly a 35mm girl!!)

Yep Hun a piccie would be usefull.................
I am not sure about the L&P build up................if the twist is sever, would the L&P be not on the very thick side after the build up????
The reason I thought gel bond would be good, you can actualy elevate the tip of the nail bed and create a small illusion of a correct grown nail.....like a severe ski jump nail for example????..........
But if it is that twisted, I am not sure ????
It's a challenge, so why not try it and see if the results are acceptable, with L&P or with Gelbond or anything else you can think of........
But sometimes, a nail can not be corrected.....................
But hey, who am I to say no way!!!!!!!!!!!! ~Go girl go~ Try it one way or the other, I am sure she will be pleased that you took the time and got your thinking cap on ,to make her nail look normal..............

Hi Ella

I have a client who had an accident with her right thumbnail, only half the nail grows properly. What I do to correct this is that I sculpt a completely new bit onto the nail bed that exists, taking it over the missing part. I have to be a bit careful with the ratio, the acrylic needs to be drier than usual so that it stays where i need it. The finished nail matches the others then and doesnt look different then.

Hope this is useful.

Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back