Tide Marks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BON

Reaction score
HI I WASWONDERING IF ANYONEHAD ANY ADVICE,I HAVE JUST USED FLAWLESS PINK POWDER TO DO A FULL SET OF NAILS,AND IN MY ZONE 3 AREA THERE ISA TIDE MARK SHOWING THRU THE ACRYLIC THE CLIENT DIDNT SEEM TO NOTICE BUT I WAS NOT HAPPY CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHY THIS HAS HAPPENED AND HOW I CAN STOP IT HAPPENIN NEXT TIME:eek:

Hi

whats a tide mark?

thanks!

Cait

when i had buffed and oiled the nail there was a faint line thru the acylic that i can only describe as looking like a tide mark:idea: sorry if i dont seem to make much sense:irked:

Is this a line where your tip was initially applied, could be that the tip wasnt fully blended. Unless of course you sculpted the nail.

Please tell us more info about your application method.

forgot to add that this only happens when i use the flawless powder me thinks it could possibly be cos it is opaque :confused: has this ever happened to anyone else:irked:

no its not where i had blended the tip but lower down it is really frustrating and has put me off this particular powder:mad:

The few times I've used the flawless pink I've had exactly the same result as you.

My line was where the bead for zone 2 ended, beneath zone 3 - if that makes sense?!:lol:
I know what I mean but I got it every time.:irked:

Like Bon said it is no-where near the tip blending but where the zones overlap.

I haven't solved the problem either.:rolleyes:

cheers hun for making me feel like its not just me:hug: your r so right about it being between zone 2 and 3 i know exactly wot you mean.....i dont like my clients nails looking anything less than perfect:!: and this powder is driving me mad...although its great for hiding short nail beds etc:)

This is what we call marbeling.

It can happen if your mix ratio is slightly different between beads.
You need to be very precise and consistent with your mix ratio when working with an opaque powder in zones 2 & 3.
Also when applying, it is always best to overlap zone 2 slightly with your zone 3 bead, after making sure your zone 2 bead is flush to the natural nail.....(if there is a ridge then this will definitely show through as a shadow line).... then press & guide it down the nail. That can stop this problem. HTH

Have a look at the custom blend tutorials on here, as I find the Flawless Pink just a bit too peachy pink for a lot of clients I prefer the base mix (with a few tweaks)that GMG talks about on there, it gives a more natural look.

thanks for your advice,i will try that method:) i know what you mean about it being quite peachy.....wot is the custom blend that you use,also i find after a few infills that the opaque does not look as fresh:eek:

thanks for your advice,i will try that method:) i know what you mean about it being quite peachy.....wot is the custom blend that you use,also i find after a few infills that the opaque does not look as fresh:eek:

Here is Sam's tutorial....I use the base mix tweaked with some Spanish Tile(red) for my own nails.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/24107-custom-blending-up.html

For zone 3 a lot of geeks mix there CCB with some perfect pink to make zone 3 disappear without a hard line. There are loads of threads on this....and some great pictures in the gallery....Jac Extreme, Scratchers to name a couple of people with some great CCB pics in the gallery.
Go read....and look!!
You will be inspired.

Theres an art to using flawless powder... I never use it as the 'only powder' in zones 2-3 I use it as a thin layer to cover, then feather it back into zone 3 then use normal Clear Pink or Intense Pink over the top.. perfect looking non peachy nails.

i think i understand what you mean, it may be caused by nor bringing the application forward fast enough (faffing around befoore bringing it forward)
Or with infills ..... the new application not blending in to the old overlay ( I compensate by slightly moistening with liquid) ... so i'm not applying over a completely dry surface (which sucks liquid out of my new application and screwing up my ratio mix) ...it's my own method .....
It's easier to see than explain ....
check my videos, ....... a typical video showing this method is
Using a Wide Brush on small nails
also Nailzoo - Newfill (pointed brush)
but you can check out others @ Nail Zoo Video Page

Hope this helps

i use one bead for zone 2 and 3 ,and as mentioned feather it down ,then use a clear bead over the whole thing dont know if this is the "right" way, but its worked for me

Hi Bon

If its not your tip blending then its this...

when you apply the bead as normal, thin out the area that is near to the cuticle area.

when you put your next bead slightly over that taper area you will not see tide marks(you have to be careful with matt colours)

full set flawless pink and whites

1. zone 1 white as normal( thicker on the middle taper to the tip for slender looking nails
2. zone 2 thicker around the middle and then taper towards the cuticle
3. zone 3 as normal(keep application thin)

good luck

jenx

Latest posts

Back