'Tidying up' with gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeniebabe

Reaction score
Hi, this is my 1st post, I am new to Gelish by Nail harmony and am enjoying using it. Most of my clients have very short nails and I am finding after capping the free edge there is often a bit of Gelish left on the skin. What is the best way to remove this? I don't want to undo my capping! :irked:

If you can slightly pull back the skin and gently wipe with a tiny brush dipped in acetone or your remover.

This is what I would do if it was varnish.

Hi, this is my 1st post, I am new to Gelish by Nail harmony and am enjoying using it. Most of my clients have very short nails and I am finding after capping the free edge there is often a bit of Gelish left on the skin. What is the best way to remove this? I don't want to undo my capping! :irked:

I pull back the skin & run a cocktail stick along the skin kind of twisting it in my fingers as I go which brings the gel off with it & without touching the free edge.

With a cocktail stick ... Like Tidying up when painting nails . You could wrap a bit if cotton wool round the stick n use a nail cleanser or polish remover..

Yep I do the same as above with Gelish, always have it ready when I'm doing short nails. x

An orange stick or EZ wipe with alcohol on it.

I have finally had a few goes with gelish I'd say it's defenitly a lot more runny than the other products that I've been using.
But once I'd applied it a few times it wasn't so bad .
After doing the base coat are you dry brushing it to remove the shine? This helps to get the color to sit and not flood the nail ,
I dry brush nails apply the first layer really thin especially around the sides and then cure , as with a regular polish I then go on thicker with the 2nd coat .
I guess if your prob is at the free edge you could buy some of the cheap reusable forms. you could apply them and apply the gelish up to them. Would stop it going all over the fingers.
I know you can clean it off your fingers but really the less unnecessary skin contact the better right?

I personally don't like using 'cocktail sticks' and I like even less using anything wrapped in cotton fibres ...any Fibers near gel are a no no for me :). Cocktail sticks and the like, I find, just smear the product thinner on the skin rather than really removing it from the skin.

As many others have discovered, using a soft little brush, dipped in D-Sperse or IPA is quick, safe And effective and also looks very neat and professional at the same time as well as being much less drying to the skin than Acetone.

If you've really messed up, then you can take a birch-wood manicure stick and get the thicker gel off the skin first and then follow it by using your little brush and alcohol to be sure you have removed all gel from the skin.

Ummm let me say this. I started using gelish about 7 weeks ago. When u started using it, I was very short because if my bad habit if biting my nails :( and I would always get it on my skin. I would just use a brush dipped in scrub fresh or acetone and clean around free edge (which I had practically none) and it never lifted or came off. Now my nails have grown and are looking way better than I started ( you can see a pic of my nails now) on my profile it's the dark pink gelish polish.

I personally don't like using 'cocktail sticks' and I like even less using anything wrapped in cotton fibres ...any Fibers near gel are a no no for me :). Cocktail sticks and the like, I find, just smear the product thinner on the skin rather than really removing it from the skin.

As many others have discovered, using a soft little brush, dipped in D-Sperse or IPA is quick, safe And effective and also looks very neat and professional at the same time as well as being much less drying to the skin than Acetone.

If you've really messed up, then you can take a birch-wood manicure stick and get the thicker gel off the skin first and then follow it by using your little brush and alcohol to be sure you have removed all gel from the skin.

gosh someone else who uses a tidy up brush.. i have one spare just for gel & gelish tidy ups, mostly used on gelish if the nails are rather short, i dip mine in the cleanser take off excess, pull gently back on the finger tip, and slowly wipe a few times to get the gel/gelish off the skin if the nails are short.. works wonders, and much more gentle than poking with a stick :O), which is good as gigi says for big blobs of gel..

Sarah x

Cotton fibres near gel are a no no for me too! I use jessica geleration and use an orange wood stick dipped in clarify ( isopropyl alchol based product) and tidy it up :) geeg is right though sometimes it sumdges a little but just make sure you orange stick is wet enough x I also do this for nail polish too x

Latest posts

Back