Time for a new job? Or am I over reacting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelibabe88

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Thought I'd come on here and get some opinions before I make a pretty big decision as I'd like a clear view on this.
I currently do beauty part time only (due to needing to pay for a shockingly expensive wedding) and my day job is in an office - this issue relates to the office job...
We're due to be moving premises next week - a brand new building, internally spec'd to our requirements and about 20 times bigger than our current place. I was taken by my boss to see the new unit last week and it looks lovely...until she showed me the warehouse area and where the stock which I have to make kit boxes from will be stored. They have a 'floating mezzanine' - for those of you who may not know this is basically high racking with a grated floor halfway. It is not a permanent fixture so they do not need planning for it and because the floor is grated they don't need to have additional fire escapes etc put in. So all the light stock (which is what I deal with) is going to be kept upstairs.
So what's the problem...? I have a HUGE phobia of bridges (Been this way for a good 15 or so years and no amount of hypnotherapy has helped so far). This goes for huge bridges to a wooden bridge 3ft off a solid floor (not so bad if I can't see over the sides or through the floor)...completely unreasonable I know but they petrify me.
I've bought up the issue of a grated, see through floor being like a bridge and my phobia but my bosses responses every time has been "you'll be fine it's very secure", "you can't fall", "don;t be silly" and "we'll just do some training with you up there".
Now this is driving me insane to the extent that I can't sleep and worry about it far too much.
Do you think I'm jumping the gun a bit in planning on leaving?
Just hoping for an outside opinion - sorry if I've gone on a bit.
Thanks,
Kxx

I wouldn't leave at all but I would make an app with your boss and occupational health to discuss your phobia and the treatments you have had so far that have failed (just so they know it's real and not just "I don't like heights")

Hopefully they can rethink the idea, have you work elsewhere or move you to a different section.

I wouldn't leave at all but I would make an app with your boss and occupational health to discuss your phobia and the treatments you have had so far that have failed (just so they know it's real and not just "I don't like heights")

Hopefully they can rethink the idea, have you work elsewhere or move you to a different section.

Thanks,
I work for a very small company (4 in the office, 2 of them are the bosses, and 3 on the road) - I have had 2 appointments both of which they basically say it is tough and it is part of my job so I have to do it.
Kx

I would give CAB a ring then. If its a genuine phobia which you have tried to treat then they should have to do something.

Being on a raised platform isn't in your contract or the job description. All you need is a different location and you will happily carry out your job.

I would give CAB a ring then. If its a genuine phobia which you have tried to treat then they should have to do something.

Being on a raised platform isn't in your contract or the job description. All you need is a different location and you will happily carry out your job.

Thank you hun,
I will try talking to CAB and see what they say. You're right, I didn't take the job on with the understanding that I will need to go on a raised platform as our old stock room was literally a room.
I knew it would be worth asking someone on here.
Thanks again xx

Hi, this must be really stressing you out.... I have a day job too I'll pm you x

Thankyou all for all your help. I've seen my doctor and wrote them a formal letter. I've had to outline all my treatments I've had and given them proof of my prescription and they have at last agreed to move the stock.downstairs!! Thank goodness! Im feeling much happier now, thank you guys xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Thankyou all for all your help. I've seen my doctor and wrote them a formal letter. I've had to outline all my treatments I've had and given them proof of my prescription and they have at last agreed to move the stock.downstairs!! Thank goodness! Im feeling much happier now, thank you guys xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

That's fantastic news!! Xx

Oh that's great news, well done for getting them to realise that it was making you very upset .... U go girl x

Glad it worked out hun x
Keep a copy of all documents in case they use it against you in the future..

And good luck with wedding plans xx

Latest posts

Back