Time Saving Tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacque

Reaction score
Hi, am looking into a complete career change at 37 (I like to think that 37 is the new 27, cos it makes me feel better). Anyway have completed an Acrylic Nail course and really enjoying working on models at this stage (friends & family) and all are happy, so far.....

Thing is it takes me too long, about 5 hours for full set of French Tips. Would really appreciate any time saving tips.

Thank you.

Jacque said:
Hi, am looking into a complete career change at 37 (I like to think that 37 is the new 27, cos it makes me feel better). Anyway have completed an Acrylic Nail course and really enjoying working on models at this stage (friends & family) and all are happy, so far.....

Thing is it takes me too long, about 5 hours for full set of French Tips. Would really appreciate any time saving tips.

Thank you.
i'm sorry to say there is no magic wand formula at this stage :| .you will get faster with practice. try to stick to a routine, prep all 10, tip all 10,apply all 10 etc. etc. i found that i had a big improvement when i purchased a nail trainer, its great to practice on someone who doesnt have an opinion ! stick with the geek board and read as much info as you can, and gradually your time will come down. p.s, i started at 37 too.

There are many things that you can do to speed up without sacrificing quality.

You have to work at it though and set goals. Having a system is essential for everything even your filing and finishing.

At the early stages, students always spend too much time checking everything. this is normal. Gradually, you will not have to check your work so much as you grow more confident in how you lay your product down.

Try not to use too many files and brushes etc. EVERY time you put one down to pick up another you sacrifice time (particularly dusting brushes for checking)

An experienced technician will not use a dusting brush until finished ... will not use 5 different files, will not check every 2 minutes if something is right or not. She will know from experience. There is no substitute for experience and it takes time to gain it.

Hi,
My times were incredibly long when I first started out, and depending on who Im working on ... they still can be!
As you are doing friends and family at the moment you will no doubt be chatting as you work .. make sure you 'talk to the hand' and try not to look up to make eye contact.
Also keep a clock within easy view and try and have an idea of how long you would like to spend on each step ... trying to work within that time helps me to realise when Im spending too long in a certain area, ie. going back over prep.
If you are using tips, do you cut out most of the well area before applying?
If youre using 'full-well' tips ... they can take an age to blend on the nail.
Use the search facility here and you will find many time-saving tips ... the rest as Geeg says will come as you gain experience.
Good luck!

You are not alone, when I first passed my CND course back in June I put a thread up similar to yours.

When you say you don't use so many files geek what can you get away with for L&P. When training we seemed to use 7 sides of files for finishing! 180, koala rough side, smooth side, white block, and girlfriend

Deb379

Jacque said:

Thank you.
hay Jacque, what course did you do hun? Just being nosey! LOL

You talk to anyone on here, or do a search on this subject we have all asked this question ( i did recently) but its true there is no magical time saving thing! Its really dis-heartening tho when your old tech before u did this course or all the salons in the town are really quick , and u feel like your beeing left behind!

My old tech used to take 45 mins to do a full set, but thinking back they would fall off, I normally had to have 5 replaced (on a good day!) she used to say i was too heavy handed, but i still do the same things now, and my nails last so much longer than the nails she ever did!

Practice makes perfect, stick at it, you'll get faster with each set, my main problem is fafing about, where i just get all stressed coz i was taking too long and forget what i was doing or do somthing twice! Just as long as the sets you are doing are good and lasting that is all that matters, as it has been said on many-a-thread on this subject, do u want a fast nail tech, whoses extensions all lift and ping off, or do u want a slightly slower tech, whose nails are beautiful, and last! Whats the old fable, slow and steady wins the race!!!;)

where in kent are you from? Again just being nosey!!!!:D

Just to let you know, one of my clients said 40 is the new 21 so I think that makes you18!! Hope that makes you feel even better!! Keep at the nails, I started at 37 too and I love it - who wants all that stress and aggro and office politics and commuting and ........... Best of luck and fun
Jacque said:

Thank you.

Hi Jacque,

I have just done the same and I am 44! :)
and I love it :)
I am now at about 1 3/4 hrs full set pink/white sculpted but am thrilled with each new set ... each seems better than the last and every person who sits down has amazingly different nails :) The last set i did today I nearly blushed they looked so lovely:) (just hope they stay on now lol) I am lucky that I am in a salon where I am getting about 3 clients each Thurs Fri and Saturday - can only do 3 in a day :) (and they are booking now to come back which is a real confidence booster) ... although still a real newbie that cant wait to earn some real pennies I now can say its true ..it is practice .... the more you do the beter you get ..... and as someone else pointed out my old tech used to take 45 minutes and I would come out picking the acrylic off the sides of my fingers and they would all lift within the week .... so dont compromise doing it right just to get quicker .... keep at it :) and using a nail trainer helps too when just looking to try out a different technique .... and read the tutorials etc on this site they are fab!
Good Luck

Joanne xx

All you ladies who have started later are just so encouraging! I'm 42 1/2 and just thinking about getting into a mani/pedi course when I can. And I do think that 60 is the new 40 or whatever - its great to not feel too old at this age to try anything new.
Joanne it's nice that you were pleased with your work; I bet your client was too. Nice hair and nails are like "clothes" that we wear everyday so it's great when they are looking good, whatever style one chooses from simply clean and neat to fancy. :)

Deb379 said:
You are not alone, when I first passed my CND course back in June I put a thread up similar to yours.

When you say you don't use so many files geek what can you get away with for L&P. When training we seemed to use 7 sides of files for finishing! 180, koala rough side, smooth side, white block, and girlfriend

Deb379
I use the Koala for prep

I use a 240 grit file for everything else.

Girlfriend for final finish.

Wow, can't believe I got so many replies, many thanks all, really encouraging. Just finding my way around the Geek site, so please bare with me & I hope this reaches you all.

- Will take a look at the Geek Tutorials.

- You mentioned Nail Trainers (do you mean those metal contractions that clip to the finger, that work the same way as the Forms?) - can anyone recommend a good one and perhaps the name of the supplier/s?

- I have used the Horse Shoe Forms, but they tend to leave a ridge under the tip or perhaps I'm doing them wrong.

- I think I use Full Well Tips (no.1 well = 8mm)? Can anyone judge by my measurement if that is a Full Well or not (what a geek I am)? Will do some more research on Tip types (so much to learn).

- Thought it best to say I live in Kent at the moment, because I am between homes & careers (men, can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em) and I trained at Palms in Bromley. Is there anyone else from Kent?

Regards all, Jacque 18+ x

Thanks Geeg.

I'm 43 and only started in nail and beauty this year. From 40 I did my BHS stages and got cheesed off with nowhere local offering structured courses to take me to my Assistant Instructor's qualification. Having decided not to become a riding instructor I wanted to do something different especially now the kids are getting a bit more independent. Somehow decided to do a manicure course and carried on from there, acrylics, IHM, waxing, and soon to do a massage course. Big aim is to do an equine degree, serious studying for that though! Get's a bit addictive doing these courses though, but like the challenge and it's a great way to meet new people.

Deb379

You mentioned Nail Trainers (do you mean those metal contractions that clip to the finger, that work the same way as the Forms?) - can anyone recommend a good one and perhaps the name of the supplier/s?

A Nail Trainer Is a plastic hand with removable nail beds, It clamps to a desk and is used to practice different techniques.
Hths
They retail at about £90 secondhand

Lesley, do you know what they call the metal contraptions that clip to the finger for scupting tips?

Jacquex

Jacque said:
Lesley, do you know what they call the metal contraptions that clip to the finger for scupting tips?

Jacquex

Yeah they are just called metal nail forms babe.

Many thanks,

Jacquex

Latest posts

Back