Time structure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebbaby

Reaction score
Hi geeks I am after your views on how much we charge per time and skill for maintenance appointments. I feel I really am under pricing my time and skill.

I was charging only £22 per full set however I feel I need to up my prices due to the fact all my regulars pay £20 (cheap) for rebalance at 3 weeks, so therefore feel my full sets should be £25 or even more, so now all new clients pay £28 per set and £22 rebalance at 3 weeks accordingly.

I do feel however that I can ask more and will get more as I am fully booked 3 weeks in advance with regulars and am getting referals all the time about 2-3 per week,,,, at what point do I need to say NO to new clients as this effects regulars?? I am getting loads new clients wanting minx hearing I do good minx and shellac etc, and lately I am finding shellac clients more regular, less picky, and respect their nails more iygwim, and I get same money in less time and effort.

I have lately been squeezing clients in but to the extent that I got to one of my regulars at 11pm the other day and her appt was 9.30pm and I never had lunch or dinner as was so late, (lucky she is so understanding) she was going to ibiza and was not bothered lol. But I need to now start being more organised but feel bad saying no sometimes. I had a lady want to pay me double other day as she had been told I was good and really wanted a good nail tech, I just felt bad and said earliest appt was end of august, however she still booked.

I feel I am getting flooded lately and can not control clients, I dont believe in doing a parttime job iygwim I feel I should meet my clients needs tahts whats got me my reputation however it is becoming silly to the point of we thu fri sat I work 10-11 and if I choose same sat sunday, I penciled myself off thisweek wednesday yet put 3 new clients in so thereforwe 3 weeks time i will have 3 more clients.... Can any geeks advise at what point you draw the line and refuse clients?? I feel bad having to do this.

Sorry for long post geeks but im at a loss here I feel so unprofessional as this is one side I dont know how to manage, my partner is an charted accountant and business advisor so I get lots of advise there, yet i feel he cant advise me on my clientell when im mobile iygwim:!::!:

There is no shame at all in being fully booked, all this does is confirm to new clients that you are worth waiting for. There comes a time when you have to think about if you can fit someone in as a regular, not just on that week. What I mean by this is that you may have a space for a new client this week but if she becomes a regular will you always be able to fit her in and still do your longer standing clients. This is where you have to be strict with yourself and with them, you mustn't allow yourself to be talked or emotionally blackmailed into doing another one! If you continue doing this you will lose the passion and joy you obviously get with your work.

We have all gone through this stage, it is all a learning curve really.

I totally agree with you on the Shellac versus infills, I use Gelish and cannot understand anyone who does not understand the business opportunity here. I love doing my acrylics but a couple of mine have moved over to Gelish and this gives me the same money for less time spent therefore I can fit more in if I choose to. The clients that change over tend to want fairly plain NNOs or extensions just to strengthen their nails a bit.

Just say 'no' and enjoy your popularity!:)

I remember reading something along the lines of when you are 75-80% booked for your available timeslots then it is time your prices went up. Then you will lose a few clients who don't want to pay the extra but you are still making the same money AND you have room for a few new ones therefore making more money!

I too found myself really busy and put my prices up but frustratingly didn't lose any clients! Good in one way but now I don't know what to do. I am really busy with Shellac too so will see how it goes after the summer period and if it continues the same way I will have to have another price rise. I am also considering trying to get rid of my most troublesome clients. Quite how I am going to do this I am not sure yet!!

Your prices do seem very cheap though. Obviously I don't know your area but CND say that a full set of French should be at least £40.

I remember reading something along the lines of when you are 75-80% booked for your available timeslots then it is time your prices went up. Then you will lose a few clients who don't want to pay the extra but you are still making the same money AND you have room for a few new ones therefore making more money!

I too found myself really busy and put my prices up but frustratingly didn't lose any clients! Good in one way but now I don't know what to do. I am really busy with Shellac too so will see how it goes after the summer period and if it continues the same way I will have to have another price rise. I am also considering trying to get rid of my most troublesome clients. Quite how I am going to do this I am not sure yet!!

Your prices do seem very cheap though. Obviously I don't know your area but CND say that a full set of French should be at least £40.

Totally agree!

I forgot to say that your prices are too low, especially for your full sets. Even for the 3 week infills I would charge more than that.

Also agree with getting rid of any undesirables or difficult clients, best time to do this. :)

I know caroline, I have tried to kinda push the erm,,,particular clients away but they keep coming back:eek::eek: I now charge £28 per set to which I still think is cheap, (when oass masters will increase)

I am unwilling to go down cheap route I live in liverpool and get loads people saying,,place down road does minx for £15, I say well go there then gosh thats cheap,, I could not possibly charge that as my minx last 6 weeks and I wont charge that so your best bet is go there. Next month they come to me saying,,ohh there awfull. Oh well I say and change subject. I get asked for coloured acrylic atc and I dont want to do that, yes I can however I feel I dont want to attract that type of client, as they can predominantly be a pain,,,iygwim.. xxx

Its true your partner doesnt know your clients, but then no accountant ever gets to know the clients of their clients, if you know what I mean.

He cant advise you on your clients but he can break things down for you to show you exactly how much you are making per hour or per treatment and being an accountant, would not leave anything out. Sometimes seeing the figures like this can speak for themselves and you often then feel that you HAVE to start charging more as you can see where you are letting opportunity slip away.

You are busy, so you are in a very good position to start deciding your own worth and you have enough clients that will follow you should you increase your prices.

I'd say it was time to stop being mobile and get into a salon where you can see lots more clients and save time driving about and packing and unpacking.

Tell your regulars to book up their appointments regularly to avoid disappointment at not being able to get in due to increased demand for your services. One person can only do so much and then that is it you just have to say NO.

It definitely is time to move into a premises, You will have a fixed location and have much more time to see your clients, your prices can go up accordingly and you can even schedule time off to say be mobile one day per week, have a day off or even go to bed at a reasonable hour :lol:
You sound like you have built up the start of an excellent business and are obviously investing in your future with all the training you do, and as this post is titled 'time structure' you are def thinking as a business woman should. Wishing you all the best

Latest posts

Back