Time to decide, Gelish or OPI GelColour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helenback

Reaction score
hi all, has anyone used both gelish and opi gelcolour and got any opinions on which they prefer? have been using gelish on my own nails but have just done the gel colour course to compare, still cant decide which to go with?

I use Gelish but I considered OPI GelColor and did the course.

For me, GelColor was more problematic and difficult to apply. There were about 12 of us on the course and not one managed to get it completely right. Even the trainer wasn't completely happy with her sample.

I did the Nubar Gelicure course first and had no problems with my first application. I did the Gelish course and had no problems with my first application.

So, in my experience only, GelColor is more difficult to master - the shrinkage was a nightmare. I know others say you should flash cure, but that that just slows down your application. I also didn't like that you have to shake the bottles so much before application (this is one of the things that also put me off Shellac).

I still use some Gelicure, but I bought into Gelish aswell because of the huge colour range - I think they have around 130+ now. I hate layering.

The advantage of OPI is that they offer the matching polish. However, it is difficult to sell the concept of a "Two Week Chip Free Manicure" and sell a quite expensive matching polish "just in case".

All just my opinion. Others will love GelColor.

I agree with Lucy.
I started out using GelColor and found it terrible. I couldnt get on with it at all. I switched to Gelish and it was the best decision I had made!
I would definitely suggest going with Gelish its great and Nail Harmony are lovely.
You will get lots of people who love GelColor but thats always the way with questions like this. You will always get mixed replies x

Was OPI just like Chelle, but Gelish all the way! Colours & effects are fab! Colours to suit all ages & glitters which are fantastic! Plus you can layer if you want, you can't do that with OPI it doesn't work IMO :)

I also didn't like that you have to shake the bottles so much before application (this is one of the things that also put me off Shellac).

That's too bad because the 'Shaking thing' has been exaggerated out of all proportion by others.

I never shake a bottle of Shellac for more than 10 -15 seconds before using it. Not a problem and the ease of prep and application and removal with Shellac compared to other products, far outweighs any shaking! Lol.

Gelish all the way, amazing range of colours, excellent customer service :)

You can't go wrong with either Gelish or OPI GelColor because they are both excellent brands with a great range. Each of them has its own quirks in terms of application, but the things that sold us on OPI GelColor were 1) marketing clout - OPI is the one brand that can give CND Shellac a run for its money in terms of market penetration. Plus, we already used OPI, had a relationship with the distributor, and our clients already love anything OPI. 2) retail opportunity - having rnp that matches the gel meant instant sales. 3) easy removal - OPI is the easiest to remove and for me that means avoiding damage.

I havn't tried gelcolour but I think gelish has the best consistency (i use gelish and shellac) and some fantastic colours :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

thanks everyone 😀 i didnt find the opi any more difficult to apply yesterday but all that shaking is a pain, going to see what the longevity of gel colour is like 😀

Latest posts

Back