Time to leave

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missmel

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just been given the absolute minimum of two months notice by my landlady after being established in my salon/shop for 13 years. I've had an ongoing battle with her about the state of the building, as its an old damp property with a flat roof and basically whenever it rains, it leaks, with water rolling down the walls and into the light sockets. She's been a completely useless landlady and whenever I've confronted her about the issue, her response would be "well if you're not happy then why not just leave?" Therefore instead of solving the problem for me, she's finally decided to give me notice after building my business up here for all these years. :(

If I'm honest she's now forced my hand and given me the push I need to leave and find something better that both myself and my clients deserve. However I'm starting to panic as I've been searching every day and there doesn't seem to be anything around. I've called local hairdressers to see if they have any spare rooms and looked at other commercial properties but it's all so incredibly expensive! I'm going to be 40 yrs old this year, whilst back residing with my folks with a waitressing job on the side, desperately trying to save money. It's come at a horrendous time as my boyfriend and I are looking to move in together in March also.

I'm fortunate enough to have a friend live around the corner who's offered up her conservatory as a stop-gap for a few months. I guess this will bide me some time but I wonder if anyone has any ideas? My dream would be to build a logo cabin in a garden but I need a garden first and not sure I can afford to buy a property just yet as Buckinghamshire is ridiculously expensive! :oops:

My parents have told me to cut my losses and go and work at a spa or something which I don't feel at my age would be the best move, having to do back to back treatments all day. They also suggested teaching at a college so I'm currently considering if that's an option instead of continuing with my beauty business but it really would be a shame to give up on it after 17 years.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. TIA x

Last edited:
Have you considered going mobile? Temporarily setting up in your friends conservatory is not without problems, mortgage company need to agree, insurance, council etc. Sounds like a nice idea but as a temporary measure it may not be viable particularly as a very short term move. Do you have a room in your house that's usable?

Have you checked out if there’s space available in a Gym, Counselling/Therapy type building or even an Adult Education/College building might have space to rent. Honestly, walk everywhere in your nearest towns and ask in every shop/building you see. You just never know.
Best of luck!

Presumably this is a commercial lease. Unless there are break clauses or you have opted out of security of tenure, the landlord may not be able to just give you notice to leave. Check your lease, because you may be allowed more time than the landlord has given you. https://www.rocketlawyer.co.uk/article/how-to-terminate-commercial-leases.rl
https://www.lawdepot.co.uk/law-library/faq/commercial-lease-notices-faq-united-kingdom/#.XFm2oRLLdxA
Thanks for your reply @Traveller75. Yes it was originally a commercial lease but after the second term (6 years I think) we made a mutual decision to continue with a rolling contract as I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit to another three year lease. I'm just trying to locate the added info on this but seem to recall that two months was the notice for either party.

Have you considered going mobile? Temporarily setting up in your friends conservatory is not without problems, mortgage company need to agree, insurance, council etc. Sounds like a nice idea but as a temporary measure it may not be viable particularly as a very short term move. Do you have a room in your house that's usable?
I did do mobile before the salon when I first started out to build the business and managed four and half years! Not sure I want to go back to lugging around heavy equipment but may have to do something like this in the meantime. Working from my friends would be very temporary - two months max so I wouldn't expect her to change anything in regard to her mortgage etc. I would use my own existing insurance cover. ie. like working mobile. I don't unfortunately have a house. It's owned by my parents and having my business there isn't an option unfortunately. I wouldn't be able to use the property that we will rent either as I know there are certain clauses operating businesses within rented properties.

Have you checked out if there’s space available in a Gym, Counselling/Therapy type building or even an Adult Education/College building might have space to rent. Honestly, walk everywhere in your nearest towns and ask in every shop/building you see. You just never know.
Best of luck!
@AcidPerm I've just been making a list today of all the potential places I could try so that's my next step! Thank you for the suggestions!

I did do mobile before the salon when I first started out to build the business and managed four and half years! Not sure I want to go back to lugging around heavy equipment but may have to do something like this in the meantime. Working from my friends would be very temporary - two months max so I wouldn't expect her to change anything in regard to her mortgage etc. I would use my own existing insurance cover. ie. like working mobile. I don't unfortunately have a house. It's owned by my parents and having my business there isn't an option unfortunately. I wouldn't be able to use the property that we will rent either as I know there are certain clauses operating businesses within rented properties.

She would have to speak to her mortgage provider, otherwise her mortgage could be at risk. Council need to know too. If a business is being run from a residential property you have to inform them. Her house insurance would need to be altered or again it could be invalid. It's not as straightforward as it seems.

Hey love,
It definitely sounds like you are best off out of there!

Nothing wrong with working in a spa at 40! You have such a wealth of experience and it could lead to more clientele for you once you manage to bag your own space again x

On the other hand the mortgage provider might say it makes no difference to them. It didn’t affect my mortgage and I didn’t need a licence of any sort by the council either.

I have high end clinic rooms to rent within CQC registered and Home Office licenced clinics - locations include,
Birkenhead, Crosby, Openshaw, Stoke on Trent, St Helens, Warrington and Wilmslow.
DM me for further details :) x

Latest posts

Back